I just got the Note 4 and almost everything about it seems better/faster than my old Note 2. However the shutter lag when shooting a still picture on the Note 4 is *unbelievably* bad! I have HDR off, and in auto or in any specific ISO mode I tap to focus, then when I hit the shutter button there is about a full second of lag before it snaps the picture. If I hold my Note 2 up in the same setting, tap focus, hit shutter button, the picture is snapped instantly..

Anyone else noticing this?
    10-17-2014 01:03 AM
    What? It's so much faster then my note 3

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
    10-17-2014 01:04 AM
    It's super bad in low light- 1+ second lag. I also tried one at best buy today to make sure it wasn't just mine. Is there some setting that could be causing this?
    10-17-2014 01:13 AM
    Idk I personally haven't noticed it myself

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
    10-17-2014 01:14 AM
    Well low light photography is tough for dedicated point and shoots. Low light photography is as tough as it gets for stills. Maybe in low light the software is struggling to generate a good shot. Low light performance is supposedly somewhat enhanced over previous models but maybe that is one of the trade offs.
    10-17-2014 01:51 AM
    Well low light photography is tough for dedicated point and shoots. Low light photography is as tough as it gets for stills. Maybe in low light the software is struggling to generate a good shot. Low light performance is supposedly somewhat enhanced over previous models but maybe that is one of the trade offs.
    Low light performance is better and faster with my early experience with the note 4 over the note 3
    10-17-2014 01:53 AM
    That would make sense at least to me. All of these software based auto focus cameras whether dedicated or part of a phone are doing the same thing...,making choices based on the environment they are in for the shot. About the only way to improve their performance without spending big bucks on improved components is to give the device more options to choose from but that also means the phone is running through a bunch of algorithms as it makes choices. The shutter lag on my point and shoot is very look when I use it in low light. I am guessing the same thing is happening here.
    10-17-2014 02:02 AM
    Yeah, but on my Note 2 for example, in low light I could tap and get the focus to "lock" (it would take a while hunting around before getting it), and then when I hit the shutter button it was instantaneous (no lag). But on the Note 4, even if I pre focus in that same way- it seems when I hit the shutter button it is then still does some extra processing, or who knows what, and lags 1-2 seconds before snapping the picture. I was just surprised to see this since it's two generations newer than my Note 2.

Don't get me wrong- the actual low light performance (ability to focus, less noise in the image) of this Note 4 is definitely beating my Note 2.. Just the lag got worse.. Oh well.
    10-17-2014 02:08 AM
    Shutter lag is frustrating whether on a dedicated camera or on a phone device camera because you don't really know when to expect it. In fact you don't expect it! Myself even knowing my point and shoot or whatever I have for a camera might suffer some shutter lag in low light, when it happens I am totally taken by surprise and struggling to hold the camera steady past any reasonable expectation for snapping the shot. If these things were not so darned accommodating with regard to just taking another it would be really frustrating. Occasionally I will end up taking two shots because I can't really tell on the small screen of a point and shoot whether I have shaken the whole darn thing to death waiting for it to snap or not. I am prepared for it on the second shot. Thank God for tripods.
    10-17-2014 02:40 AM
    It's not shutter lag in low light. The shutter in low light conditions stays opens longer to allow for more light to enter the lens to gain a better photo. That is why it takes longer than your note 2but looks better. It's how cameras are designed. On top of the line cameras you can set the exposure times to allow for light to enter the lens. Nothing to worry about.
    jayochs likes this.
    10-17-2014 06:34 AM
    It's not shutter lag in low light. The shutter in low light conditions stays opens longer to allow for more light to enter the lens to gain a better photo. That is why it takes longer than your note 2but looks better. It's how cameras are designed. On top of the line cameras you can set the exposure times to allow for light to enter the lens. Nothing to worry about.
    exactly. Usually on a handheld camera you have what is called "shutter priority mode" where you can manually select how long the shutter stays open for. Naturally, in low light situations you want your shutter to stay open longer. Since you can't make the choice yourself, the N4 it is doing it for you. That is why the N4 is slightly better in lower light.
    10-17-2014 07:23 AM