Expert Reviews

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
One of our members here commented recently that he was anxious to see some user reviews of the N4 as he was growing weary of "expert" reviews. I can't remember the thread where he posted. I do remember not thinking too much of it other than feeling that too many of them are biased based on what seems to be predetermined empathy for a particular company or device. Some are pretty easy to pick up. A review of the N4 by one of the Apple based organizations is obviously not going to be particularly balanced. However I just went over a new one from a group I simply had not seen before, ARS Technica. Does anybody know anything about these guys?

With all due respect I have never read a review that was straining so hard to criticize a company or a product.

So OK, the N4 is not a monster upgrade over an N3. But it is an upgrade and for me at least it pushed the decision over the hump. That makes it a big deal to me because I was really feeling trapped at the time as I really did want a phablet and I wanted a phablet with a stylus. I get that the N4 is not likely to move too many people off their N3's but does that not say something for the N3? Whatever...point ARS T I guess.

But while the stylus is one of the major points of interest in the N4 for users, this bunch reserved their harshest criticism for the stylus. Honestly that sounds like a set up...like they know Sammy is banking on the stylus which is by the way working in the market place. So ARS T is going to attack it. Here is just a sampling and my own comments on each:
- "Physical home buttons and styluses don't mix"
Well who the heck says you have to use the stylus to execute a command through the physical home button in the first place? Sorry not a solid point IMO ARS T
- "the N4 is too small to write on. There is nowhere to rest your hand which is left floating in space".
Oh really....has anybody or even Sammy for that matter claimed this design feature is aimed at somebody who wants to write "War and Peace" on his phablet. Sorry ARS T, not a solid point AGAIN, IMO

Their Good and Bad score came in at 4 Good points and 8, count them 8 Bad or negative points. Most of the "Bad" points are things that everybody has grown used to that has a recent generation Sammy portable device. None of them are new complaints and most of them are overstated in the extreme.

And unlike every "Expert" review I have read to date. this bunch even has an "Ugly" for the N4. You guessed it folks. The fact that the N4 does not represent a quantum leap forward from the N3 was deemed worthy of an "Ugly" rating.

I have not taken the trouble yet to try to understand who these characters are but for me, their credibility rating deserves an "Ugly". Their journalistic integrity deserves a "Bad" and lets see, I guess their chosen font style for their home page deserves a "Good".

Sorry if this sounds like a rant. But I smell a rat.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
You've never heard of Ars Technica??? Huh. Just a tech/tech news site, kind of like the Verge. And just as bad in their readily apparent pro-Apple, anti-Google/Android slant, if the comments to their articles don't make that absolutely apparent. They started really going downhill about 2-3 years ago. You want unbiased, knowledgeable, and technically proficient reviews? Try Anandtech.

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Had flashed by them before but never had a good enough reason to point the arrow at them and hit the left button. Hence, have no idea about their genesis or their affiliations.

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I find it really disturbing that the iPhone 6+ is named at least 50 times in the Anandtech Note4 review, but the Note 4 isn't mentioned once in the iPhone 6 review...

Posted via the Android Central App

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
You've never heard of Ars Technica??? Huh. Just a tech/tech news site, kind of like the Verge. And just as bad in their readily apparent pro-Apple, anti-Google/Android slant, if the comments to their articles don't make that absolutely apparent. They started really going downhill about 2-3 years ago. You want unbiased, knowledgeable, and technically proficient reviews? Try Anandtech.

I've never heard of them either lol

Posted via Android Central App

Rmedy21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
We can't always go by what others say. You have to use your own judgement. What others don't like you may like or vice versa. I only look at reviews to get an idea of what's on the phone or if there is a significant problem with the product.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21