01-19-2016 01:15 PM
210 ... 23456 ...
tools
    Toshiba would have them all beat. I have a laptop I have setup for 4 different logins for 8 different fingers. If I need to log in under a different user simply swipe your finger the computer locks the current account and logs you in as the new swipe login. Different users simply swipe and start where they last left off. My Note 4 is flawless unless I screw up the swipe. Toshiba and Samsung use a similar sensor. The pomaceous fruit scanner uses a different read technology, more like the units used by the Immigration and Naturalization Service.
    10-20-2014 08:52 PM
    Seems to work really well.

Posted via My Note 4
    10-20-2014 09:04 PM
    It has been sporadic for me... maybe I need to get used to it as this is the first device I am using that has fingerprint scanner... The other thing is, the heart rate scanner doesn't register at all when using Note 4 with Spigen Neo Hybrid case... Anyone have similar issues or am I placing my finger wrong? LOL...
    10-20-2014 10:37 PM
    yea.. I'm not too excited about it either.. same thing.. sometimes the first swipe works and sometimes I have to go 2 or more times.. dont know if Ill save it.
    10-20-2014 11:08 PM
    It depends but I read that Samsung improved it. We'll see.

I love the S5, was sad to let it go but the Finger Print Scanner was a PITA for me. I really gave it a chance but 60% success rate was not acceptable.
    Well, my 2 cents now that I've had a chance to play with it. It's the best fingerprint sensor I've used. Granted, I haven't used everything and no Apple. But on my old laptop, it was really finicky. You had to do it JUST so. On this one (with 10 inputs), it seems to work first time, every time. No muss, no fuss, unless I'm really stupid and off center. It's fast and easy. And I also like being able to see my entire lock screen wallpaper without the keyboard getting in the way! That's just a bonus.

The only thing I don't like--apparently the theft alert features of various programs (like Lookout) won't work with fingerprints as opposed to passcodes.

Easy.. My phone stays on me or right with me. Who do you have grabbing your phone to go through it? :P.
    Someone who steals it, grabs the phone, with Gmail and text access, your 2-step verifications are nullified,etc.
    10-22-2014 10:52 AM
    Someone who steals it, grabs the phone, with Gmail and text access, your 2-step verifications are nullified,etc.
    They most definitely are not. By the time they steal my phone I will be in Android Device Manager locking the phone down . I have my 2 step backed up to a number that I pretty much always have access to. Also how is someone going to steal it from me? They would have to straight up rob me .. They won't be able to snatch it since I don't leave it laying on a table or anything.
    10-22-2014 11:13 AM
    They most definitely are not. By the time they steal my phone I will be in Android Device Manager locking the phone down . I have my 2 step backed up to a number that I pretty much always have access to. Also how is someone going to steal it from me? They would have to straight up rob me .. They won't be able to snatch it since I don't leave it laying on a table or anything.
    Robberies do happen, and pickpockets. Fairly often.

My cell is my 2-step verification # for texts, as it is for most. On theft, it will be a race to a computer to see if I can get Lookout to wipe/lock before damage is done, but....I'll definitely have some time to do that while they figure out a way past the passcode or fingerprints. If they're already in, I'm probably going to lose that race because all they really need is about 1 minute to start the harvest.
    10-22-2014 11:34 AM
    Robberies do happen, and pickpockets. Fairly often.

My cell is my 2-step verification # for texts, as it is for most. On theft, it will be a race to a computer to see if I can get Lookout to wipe/lock before damage is done, but....I'll definitely have some time to do that while they figure out a way past the passcode or fingerprints. If they're already in, I'm probably going to lose that race because all they really need is about 1 minute to start the harvest.
    Oh I agree they happen .. just where I live it is way less common. I don't live in a city where people walk around a ton. I live in Jacksonville, FL and due to its size (land mass wise) you won't walk anywhere. So it can happen at a store or something but not as likely as in a place such as NY. Driving to a friends house sometimes can be a 30 minute drive (one way) and that isn't uncommon.
    10-22-2014 11:38 AM
    Seems to work really well.

Posted via My Note 4
    I would definitely put an emphasis on fairly.

It's not as good as Apple's TouchID, but it is functional. TouchID, you just "touch". I find myself having to swipe on Samsung's Fingerprint scanner 2 or 3 times before it registers my fingerprint. I'm making sure to swipe it properly every time... Slow, full finger, down the center... but it'll still say I did it wrong. *shrug* I get lucky sometimes and it works right on the first try, though... Doesn't bother me too much either way it goes.
    10-22-2014 11:49 AM
    I have to use a lock screen because I have work email on the device. I find the swipe always works -- always -- if I swipe at the same, slo-o-o-ow speed. Even if I had to do a second swipe, it's still better than punching in a password or pin. That said, I'd still prefer just being able to place my finger on the home button.
    10-22-2014 12:02 PM
    Just got my Note 4 today for Verizon, and for me the finger print scanner works very well. Based off the reviews I read prior to getting this machine, I thought the scanner would be sub-par, but it's not. It works really well for me, and I don't see myself disabling this function - ever.

Posted via the Android Central App
    monsieurms likes this.
    10-22-2014 05:54 PM
    I saw somewhere on this forum that someone said there is a layer of plastic on the fingerprint button, can someone else verify this? As I've been trying to peel off what I thought is plastic, but with no avail. So I can't tell, if it's plastic from the wrapping or participate from manufacturer. I tried a pocket knife but it doesn't seem to peel off.

10-22-2014 08:48 PM
    Fingerprint scanner to me is a waste on this phone!! Definitely doesn't have the features the iPhone 6 utilizes. Overall I absolutely love my Note 4!!!
    TheDonJ77 likes this.
    10-22-2014 09:19 PM
    Fingerprint scanner to me is a waste on this phone!! Definitely doesn't have the features the iPhone 6 utilizes. Overall I absolutely love my Note 4!!!
    Haven't set it up yet but will give it a go tonight.
    10-22-2014 10:11 PM
    So what I am thinking is most folks having problems did not set the first scans right. You have to scan 10 times in every position possible, always top to bottom always the same speed but every angle your finger can muster. More different more better.

Did you do that?

I like to mix it up.

It always works for me.
    10-22-2014 10:33 PM
    I did that a few times and still not perfect.. I would say a good 50% hit the first time 30% 2x and there has been a few times it was being a punk.. once was when I got out of the shower and hands were try, but no matter what after 20 swipes it put me on a time out.. This finger print thing kills me.. I like it, but sometimes its just a damn hassle.. Its in internal moral fight, like keeping an ugly girlfriend with big... ummmm..errrrr. anyways... I'm not sure what to do.
    10-22-2014 11:50 PM
    So what I am thinking is most folks having problems did not set the first scans right. You have to scan 10 times in every position possible, always top to bottom always the same speed but every angle your finger can muster. More different more better.

Did you do that?

I like to mix it up.

It always works for me.
    Ah I just did it the same way..
    10-23-2014 03:03 AM
    it took me over an hour to configure the the fingerprint scanner on the S5, and I used it for all of a day before it pissed me off enough to turn it off and forget about it.

so far, on the N4 it took me 3 mins to scan all 30 available prints, and 4 days in I haven't had an issue. in fact I've actually forgotten that I'm scanning my finger to unlock my phone. it's just become second nature. admittedly I do have to swipe twice fairly often to get in, but it hands down beats the scanner on the S5 which was regularly asking me for my password after 5 failed attempts.
    monsieurms likes this.
    10-23-2014 04:05 AM
    I did that a few times and still not perfect.. I would say a good 50% hit the first time 30% 2x and there has been a few times it was being a punk.. once was when I got out of the shower and hands were try, but no matter what after 20 swipes it put me on a time out.. This finger print thing kills me.. I like it, but sometimes its just a damn hassle.. Its in internal moral fight, like keeping an ugly girlfriend with big... ummmm..errrrr. anyways... I'm not sure what to do.
    Huh. You know, I guess there are a lot of possible reasons for this, but I'm simply amazed at varying results. It has worked brilliantly for me--the ONLY time it failed was when through user error (i.e, idiocy) I almost missed the home button entirely. It works if I go fast, slow, whatever. As long as I catch the home button with my pad. It's been flawless, first-time, every time.
    10-23-2014 05:56 AM
    It is just as easy as swiping the screen. No accidental turn on from the screen swipe. I scanned two thumbs and right index finger and can use any of them at any angle, just swipe down. I have it set so it doesn't actually require a finger until it is idle for 10 minutes, screen swipe wakes it during the 10 minutes. I see absolutely no reason not to unless you are simply to lazy to swipe your fingers 10 times to set it up. Swipe at every imaginable angle you might use during the training and it works fricking great.
    How did you set it to unlock with a swipe for 10 minutes then go to fingerprint? I would LOVE to have mine work that way but can't figure out a way to do it?
    10-23-2014 08:13 PM

Did you do that?

I like to mix it up.

It always works for me.
    I agree, it's all in the setup. I'm on the 3rd day using this and have had very positive results. Only time it doesn't work for me is when I totally screw up the swipe.

Posted via the Android Central App from the beast A.K.A. Note 4.
    monsieurms likes this.
    10-23-2014 08:33 PM
    I register my thumb for all three identities, it rarely ever fails

Connert likes this.
    10-23-2014 08:40 PM
    Gave up on it.

10-23-2014 08:58 PM
    Register your primary finger twice. You can save up to 3 fingers. Registering the same finger twice will increase the read.

10-23-2014 10:34 PM
    I've never had a fingerprint scanner so I'm liking it so far. It's not 100% but I like the added security it provides over a simple pw.
    10-23-2014 10:48 PM
210 ... 23456 ...