32.9 KB · Views: 180
  • Screenshot_2014-10-18-15-08-07.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-10-18-15-08-07.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 177

amzi160586

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: Fingerprint scanner or not?

Specifically in what way is it not as good as touch ID?

Posted via the Android Central App

Well like many have already reported it's not the most accurate finger print scanner out there..with Apples touch ID it's very user friendly and probably 99.9% accurate..I guess all to their own, but in my opinion Apple have this one down good.

Ncontrl

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site

Apples touch ID been out longer so they have it perfected pretty well. Don't know if it's the sensor on the Note 4 that's not that great or the software needs some tweaking to get it right.

lazerproof

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site

Well like many have already reported it's not the most accurate finger print scanner out there..with Apples touch ID it's very user friendly and probably 99.9% accurate..I guess all to their own, but in my opinion Apple have this one down good.

Touch ID is different but not better in my opinion. With Samsung's scanner you just have to swipe correctly and it works every time. I just tried 10 swipes and got them all. You have to drag your finger over the scanner without lifting it up. Start at the bottom of the screen. Even if YOU mess up your swipe, it you can try again in one second.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Touch ID is different but not better in my opinion. With Samsung's scanner you just have to swipe correctly and it works every time. I just tried 10 swipes and got them all. You have to drag your finger over the scanner without lifting it up. Start at the bottom of the screen. Even if YOU mess up your swipe, it you can try again in one second.

True but with Touch ID you don't have to swype the right way or anything like that. It really is just place your finger there and you're good.

amzi160586

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site

True but with Touch ID you don't have to swype the right way or anything like that. It really is just place your finger there and you're good.

This is exactly what I mean, no faffing about with touch ID...just saying..you cant fault Apple on this one..hopefully in the next few iterations Samsung will get it spot on.

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site

It depends but I read that Samsung improved it. We'll see.

I love the S5, was sad to let it go but the Finger Print Scanner was a PITA for me. I really gave it a chance but 60% success rate was not acceptable.

mrstruegemini

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
I like the scanner saved to different fingers. Saved my thumb swipe from the one handed angle and it's awesome sauce.

Galaxy Note 4 and my Note 2 when it looks lonely lol.

rhophotos

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
It works fine if you two hand the device. You aren't going to get consistent one handed activation like on the iphone. But if you hold with one hand and unlock with the other you can normally be assured of hitting the right angle fairly consistently.

Tkbredx

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
You are obviously swiping incorrectly.

Regardless of whether they are doing it correctly or not it's still easier and more convenient to just touch the scanner rather than swiping it. The effectiveness of touch id makes it better than this fingerprint scanner.

lazerproof

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Regardless of whether they are doing it correctly or not it's still easier and more convenient to just touch the scanner rather than swiping it. The effectiveness of touch id makes it better than this fingerprint scanner.

That may be true, however it is still quite easy to use the finger print scanner Inn the N4 and certainly no reason to dump it.

maximalife

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
The setup is easy...but when i try it after locking it never works.....and i have 3 swipes registered. Frustrating

ChemMan

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Toshiba would have them all beat. I have a laptop I have setup for 4 different logins for 8 different fingers. If I need to log in under a different user simply swipe your finger the computer locks the current account and logs you in as the new swipe login. Different users simply swipe and start where they last left off. My Note 4 is flawless unless I screw up the swipe. Toshiba and Samsung use a similar sensor. The pomaceous fruit scanner uses a different read technology, more like the units used by the Immigration and Naturalization Service.

NetHero

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
It has been sporadic for me... maybe I need to get used to it as this is the first device I am using that has fingerprint scanner... The other thing is, the heart rate scanner doesn't register at all when using Note 4 with Spigen Neo Hybrid case... Anyone have similar issues or am I placing my finger wrong? LOL...:D

lostsoul2

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
yea.. I'm not too excited about it either.. same thing.. sometimes the first swipe works and sometimes I have to go 2 or more times.. dont know if Ill save it.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site

It depends but I read that Samsung improved it. We'll see.

I love the S5, was sad to let it go but the Finger Print Scanner was a PITA for me. I really gave it a chance but 60% success rate was not acceptable.

Well, my 2 cents now that I've had a chance to play with it. It's the best fingerprint sensor I've used. Granted, I haven't used everything and no Apple. But on my old laptop, it was really finicky. You had to do it JUST so. On this one (with 10 inputs), it seems to work first time, every time. No muss, no fuss, unless I'm really stupid and off center. It's fast and easy. And I also like being able to see my entire lock screen wallpaper without the keyboard getting in the way! That's just a bonus. :)

The only thing I don't like--apparently the theft alert features of various programs (like Lookout) won't work with fingerprints as opposed to passcodes.

Easy.. My phone stays on me or right with me. Who do you have grabbing your phone to go through it? :p.

Someone who steals it, grabs the phone, with Gmail and text access, your 2-step verifications are nullified,etc. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34