Note 4 Fingerprint scanner or not?

harryhoudini66

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
I use mine but i don't find it 100% reliable there are times i have to do it 2-3 times before it recognizes it. They need to do it like Apple physically on the home button.
I have a work issued iPhone and it is just as bad. It takes two to three times to unlock. In this time-frame I would have unlocked using a password.

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I have tried, trust me I've tried. I read that registering the same finger 6 times makes it better. I read that the recent update made it better.

But its not better !!

The fingerprint registers fine, its the only screen which seems to recognize it. Actually using it to unlock the phone is not reliable at all and is a pain. What I really don't understand is - why can't I have a pattern as backup instead of password?

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
It's interesting that it seems to work well with some and not others. I did have trouble when I first tried it but I wasn't paying good attention to how you were supposed to swipe. I also believe that having a case on makes it a little more difficult to swipe all the way through it.

Note in my house!

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
hmmm interesting my wife has the iphone 6 no issues at all. Maybe you have a defective one?
I thought Touch ID Worked flawlessly on my iPhone 5S and 6 Plus. It just works in a different way. I liked that Touch ID works with more than 3 fingers. But I guess that's not such a big deal.

Note in my house!

ejohnnyk

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Here's what I've finally figured out about the fingerprint scanner. If you don't like it, like me, it's your fault because you're doing it wrong. Once you train yourself on its proper use, you'll like it. Bottom line, it blows.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Here's what I've finally figured out about the fingerprint scanner. If you don't like it, like me, it's your fault because you're doing it wrong. Once you train yourself on its proper use, you'll like it. Bottom line, it blows.
It sucks that you have had a bad experience.

Note in my house!

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I've forced myself to use it and it's growing on me, but there is a learning curve. And there shouldn't be. I wish the fingerprint scanner integrated with Google Wallet.
There is somewhat of a learning curve. I will agree with that. Not sure why Samsung decided to implement it that way. But I have been able to acclimate to it so I haven't had any issues.

Note in my house!

RON OLSZOWKA

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
Re: Fingerprint scanner or not?

Hello, I'm having trouble with my fingerprint scanner. After I register my fingerprint it only works once I turn the phone off and back on. After the initial fingerprint scan if I lock it and go back to the home screen the phone no longer asks for the fingerprint but asks me to swipe to unlock. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Or do I have a defective device :(

RON OLSZOWKA

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
Re: Fingerprint scanner or not?

Hello, I'm having trouble with my fingerprint scanner. After I register my fingerprint it only works once I turn the phone off and back on. After the initial fingerprint scan if I lock it and go back to the home screen the phone no longer asks for the fingerprint but asks me to swipe to unlock. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Or do I have a defective device :(

George Collins1

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I came up with a compromise since I use my phone so much. I use PIN and a 10 minute delay time, and put all my sensitive stuff behind the Knox partition, which uses fingerprint to open. Best of both worlds that way, convenience for daily use, and security for my financial stuff.

Posted via the Android Central App

RON OLSZOWKA

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
The problem with my solution is that the screen won't time out and lock on its own. With my way you have to manually lock it each time. My way will at least allow you to lock your phone manually and then you will be able to use the fingerprint scanner to unlock the Note 4 every time.

Inquisitive1

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Mine works perfectly every time. I've been advised clammy hands and freshly lotioned hands don't work, and that however your prints are at setup is how they must always be.
Good thing I keep clean hands.

Posted with my awesome NOTE 4

RON OLSZOWKA

Jan 10, 2015
Visit site
Let me clear something up for those of you who might not have caught this. What I am talking about and what some of you are talking about are two totally different things. I am not talking about the fingerprint scanner not being able to recognize your fingerprint. The problem that me and omarm were having is this. You would have the fingerprint lock all set up. You would lock the screen or let the phone timeout and lock itself. You would then wake up the phone and want to unlock it with your fingerprint but instead of the phone prompting you to scan your fingerprint the phone asks you to just swipe the screen to the left or right. I can't remember. This isn't supposed to happen when you have the fingerprint scanner set up to unlock the lock screen. So you end up having no security because anybody can swipe the screen and have access to your phone. I figured out how to sort of fix this and I already posted the solution.

edtaussig

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
I liked using it, worked well enough for me, but I disabled it because I found
that the lockscreen was using a lot of battery - not sure if it's any lockscreen
or just the fingerprint scanner, but com.android.keyguard was using a decent
percentage of the battery, and it's apparently a known issue. Can't see why
that should be since it's only needed when the screen is on?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae