This is weird. I cleared the cache and force stopped it. Where the blue blazes did it go??
    Attached Thumbnails Note 4 Phone icon missing-1413670859571.jpg  
    10-18-2014 06:21 PM
    Remove it and read it from the apps drawer?
    10-18-2014 06:22 PM
    I just restarted the phone its back.
    10-18-2014 06:37 PM
    Just a minute ago my messenger app icon was on top of the milk icon!!! Weird...especially because I disabled milk music
    10-18-2014 06:49 PM
    You've got some strange stuff going on. You may want to clear the cache partition on your phone.
    10-18-2014 06:53 PM
    How do I do that?
    10-18-2014 06:55 PM
    Power off the phone, when it's off - hold down the home button, volume up and power button all at the same time - when the phone starts you will see blue text appear in the upper left corner of the screen, when you see that let go of all the buttons. An android figure will appear in the middle of the screen and in a moment you will see text in the upper left of the screen, use your volume up/down to scroll to and highlight clear cache partition, when its highlighted press your power button to start the process. It will only take a moment to perform, when it says it is complete, use your volume up/down button to highlight reboot and press your power button. This will not erase any data of your files, it will just clear all the temp files from the phone's cache. I do this about once a month just to keep my phones working their best.
    Kingb1186, reesh11, mbabee and 1 others like this.
    10-18-2014 07:02 PM
    Ok thanks!

From my smokin' hot N4
    10-18-2014 07:05 PM
    I have the same problem, first instance was missing the phone icon and some other one, restarted the phone and it was fine. Happened again a day later, but this time I had to power down and on to get it back. Today my screen's brightness acted weird for a few seconds as well, it's like running on safe mode in a PC, like cartoonish screen.
    10-18-2014 09:08 PM
    This is the kind of thing that concerns me. It's that weird "oh, just do a hard reset" thing, or "try pulling the battery" thing, that I experienced with my only other Android device (Droid X). I left and went to the iPhone and literally never had one problem, nor did any of the other iPhone users in my law office.

Now I'm coming back to the Droid operating system and the Note 4 and was assured that Droid OS has come a long way since the extremely buggy OS that I previously experienced in my DX. I've been led to believe that the Droid OS is no longer fragmented, that it had matured, and that it is now consistent and dependable.

I've been following all the N4 posts on this forum as I impatiently await the release of the device on Verizon, and it seems as if there are some issues. Granted, the iPhone 6+, which is the phone I was considering when I chose to pr-order the Note 4, has had some issues as well. But that should be a bit more expected given it was Apple's first foray into phablet territory and iOS 8 is brand new. Neither of these characteristics is true with the Note 4 as KK has been around for awhile and Samsung has been THE phablet company for a few years.

I have no brand allegiance or loyalty one way or the other, and I have been very excited about the Note 4 and have no misgivings about leaving the iPhone platform. But I sure as heck will NOT jump back into a Droid OS that requires constant attention - such as soft/hard reboots, battery pulls, et al. I want a device that works all day every day.

I'm hoping the N4 will do that.
    10-18-2014 09:50 PM
    This is the kind of thing that concerns me. It's that weird "oh, just do a hard reset" thing, or "try pulling the battery" thing, that I experienced with my only other Android device (Droid X). I left and went to the iPhone and literally never had one problem, nor did any of the other iPhone users in my law office.

Now I'm coming back to the Droid operating system and the Note 4 and was assured that Droid OS has come a long way since the extremely buggy OS that I previously experienced in my DX. I've been led to believe that the Droid OS is no longer fragmented, that it had matured, and that it is now consistent and dependable.

I've been following all the N4 posts on this forum as I impatiently await the release of the device on Verizon, and it seems as if there are some issues. Granted, the iPhone 6+, which is the phone I was considering when I chose to pr-order the Note 4, has had some issues as well. But that should be a bit more expected given it was Apple's first foray into phablet territory and iOS 8 is brand new. Neither of these characteristics is true with the Note 4 as KK has been around for awhile and Samsung has been THE phablet company for a few years.

I have no brand allegiance or loyalty one way or the other, and I have been very excited about the Note 4 and have no misgivings about leaving the iPhone platform. But I sure as heck will NOT jump back into a Droid OS that requires constant attention - such as soft/hard reboots, battery pulls, et al. I want a device that works all day every day.

I'm hoping the N4 will do that.
    You should be fine. Keep in mind that Android is open source so sometimes things can happen.. And usually things happen when users go and do something to cause it. iPhone doesn't allow users to do certain things so therefore it is less likely to mess up... But there are times iPhone users have to hard reset or restore due an issue. It can happen with any software.

Also Droid is a Verizon brand phone... Android is the OS... Just an FYI because if you say Droid OS people may think you mean the Droid phones on Verizon.
    TechNut79 and Tanooki2 like this.
    10-18-2014 09:56 PM
    And remember also these problems usually have an easy fix. As he said it's open source and also spread across several hundred devices I imagine. There is only one version of the iPhone but many Android phones. Each device has its own configuration which is why some apps may crash on a certain device etc. But as I said there is usually an easy fix or an easy alternate. I like things done my way so for me Android is the ONLY way to go. I get ticked off when my iPad won't upload files to the Web. I do it easily with Android. If documents doesn't work then I upload with Dropbox or whatever. I can deal with these small issues to get my customization.

From my smokin' hot N4
    fantom305 and TechNut79 like this.
    10-18-2014 10:05 PM
    Sorry for the confusion. Android is obviously the OS I'm referring to.

I hope you're right about my worries being unfounded. The phone looks amazing.
    10-18-2014 10:11 PM
    Sorry for the confusion. Android is obviously the OS I'm referring to.

I hope you're right about my worries being unfounded. The phone looks amazing.
    Just expect with Android to maybe have to troubleshoot a little.. Things happen especially since carriers can modify things... It's just the nature of the beast.

Apple is closed and controls it 100 percent... I would honestly hope their phone runs flawless.. Because if not.. It's 100 percent on them.
    10-18-2014 10:13 PM
    And remember also these problems usually have an easy fix. As he said it's open source and also spread across several hundred devices I imagine. There is only one version of the iPhone but many Android phones. Each device has its own configuration which is why some apps may crash on a certain device etc. But as I said there is usually an easy fix or an easy alternate. I like things done my way so for me Android is the ONLY way to go. I get ticked off when my iPad won't upload files to the Web. I do it easily with Android. If documents doesn't work then I upload with Dropbox or whatever. I can deal with these small issues to get my customization.

From my smokin' hot N4
    You use Dropbox? I disabled it lol

Posted via the Galaxy Note 4
    10-18-2014 10:27 PM
    Just expect with Android to maybe have to troubleshoot a little.. Things happen especially since carriers can modify things... It's just the nature of the beast.

Apple is closed and controls it 100 percent... I would honestly hope their phone runs flawless.. Because if not.. It's 100 percent on them.
    Honestly I've never really cared that much about customization. Making things look the way I want them to look on my home screens, for instance, is as customized as I'll likely ever get. Ha ha.

But if this customization that Android folks talk about also has a tendency to mess up a user's device intermittently, then I frankly don't see it as a benefit. People on both major platforms can root or jailbreak if they want to tinker. Having everything work right is what matters.

Again, though, I'm really looking forward to getting the N4. I'll let you Android veterans customize to your heart's content.
    10-18-2014 10:33 PM
    It's not all about customization. Like I said on my iPad I cannot even upload my resume when applying on job websites (I apply for a LOT of jobs--small town problems) and it makes me so mad! Most apps that are free on Android are paid on iOS. Who wants to pay 2.99 when I can get it free elsewhere? I bought an iPad to bridge the gap for things like FaceTime and iMessage. But besides that I don't see many other benefits. I'd probably break my iPhone if I had one cuz it'd tick me off daily. To each his/her own...

From my smokin' hot N4
    areyes163 likes this.
    10-18-2014 11:21 PM
    You use Dropbox? I disabled it lol

Posted via the Galaxy Note 4
    I absolutely do I love it.

From my smokin' hot N4
    10-18-2014 11:22 PM
    Honestly I've never really cared that much about customization. Making things look the way I want them to look on my home screens, for instance, is as customized as I'll likely ever get. Ha ha.

But if this customization that Android folks talk about also has a tendency to mess up a user's device intermittently, then I frankly don't see it as a benefit. People on both major platforms can root or jailbreak if they want to tinker. Having everything work right is what matters.

Again, though, I'm really looking forward to getting the N4. I'll let you Android veterans customize to your heart's content.
    To me it isn't the customization. I didn't say customization causes issues... But what people do to their phones could.. Just depends on what the user does.

I like the fact it's like a mini PC and I can pretty much do whatever I want.. But that depends on the user. Most are cool with iPhone but... If you want more freedom such as Android that goes both ways.. You can change things but that also allows you to break more things.. Does it always happen? No.. But it opens doors for it. Hence why Apple doesn't like to open these doors.
    mhunter6378 likes this.
    10-19-2014 12:25 AM
    It's not all about customization. Like I said on my iPad I cannot even upload my resume when applying on job websites (I apply for a LOT of jobs--small town problems) and it makes me so mad! Most apps that are free on Android are paid on iOS. Who wants to pay 2.99 when I can get it free elsewhere? I bought an iPad to bridge the gap for things like FaceTime and iMessage. But besides that I don't see many other benefits. I'd probably break my iPhone if I had one cuz it'd tick me off daily. To each his/her own...

From my smokin' hot N4
    That's cool about the apps. I didn't know that. What apps are you referring to? Also how do you like the play store compared to the App Store?
    10-19-2014 06:49 AM
    That's cool about the apps. I didn't know that. What apps are you referring to? Also how do you like the play store compared to the App Store?
    I can't remember exactly but there was one app I had on my m8 that was free and on the play store it was a few dollars. I'm like huh? ? It's the same app! And I much prefer Google Play store.
    10-19-2014 09:36 AM
    Resetting the cache fixed this problem for me --- when the phone re-booted, the contacts icon reappeared. It took about 3 minutes for my phone to work on the network again, a period of some anxiety, but the problem cleared itself without my doing anything.
    05-28-2015 09:21 PM
    Thanks for this.
    07-08-2015 09:54 AM
    To me it isn't the customization. I didn't say customization causes issues... But what people do to their phones could.. Just depends on what the user does.

I like the fact it's like a mini PC and I can pretty much do whatever I want.. But that depends on the user. Most are cool with iPhone but... If you want more freedom such as Android that goes both ways.. You can change things but that also allows you to break more things.. Does it always happen? No.. But it opens doors for it. Hence why Apple doesn't like to open these doors.
    This is the point most folks fail to appreciate. Namely, with the freedom to change how your OS works you have the responsibility to learn to do things correctly. Thus, IMO many of the complaints about Android or a specific phone model when they are new is caused by operator error through ignorance of the new OS and/or new phone. There is a learning curve with everything new.
    07-08-2015 10:58 AM