Why is the battery life on my Note 4 low?

jerseygirl

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Re: Battery life on Note 4

So far I'm pleased with the battery life. I have been playing with it for most of the day without power saving on. My old phone would drain even when not in use overnight. I'm looking forward to seeing how long she's going to last. BTW, I'm on Sprint. Spotty service at times is not as hard on this battery so far.

Attachments

• 1413692349148.jpg
    1413692349148.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 407

thegame161

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site

Battery life is amazing for me. Loads better than Note 3

Attachments

• 1413708061441.jpg
    1413708061441.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 390
  • 1413708073582.jpg
    1413708073582.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 390

JRUNCK

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site

Has anyone else that's experiencing their battery draining quickly on the Note 4 noticed the WiFi arrows are active almost all the time? I feel that this is what's causing my battery life to drain too quickly. There are countless old forum threads from around 2012 that have this issue and it seems to be what I'm experiencing with the Note 4 on AT&T right now. I've tried almost every single fix I could find mentioned about this on various older forum threads with no success up to this point. I haven't had a chance to test if the battery life improves while not on WiFi yet.

Last edited:

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Not sure what that means? I am charging with the charger it came with, plugged into the wall.

If you you look at the screenshot that you posted, where it shows "83% Charging (USB)" that means the phone is taking the charge at what it believes is from a USB port - like it would get while connected to a computer for instance. The maximum charge rate under those circumstances would be at 500mA (0.5A) from a USB 2.0 port. While charging through the AC charger plugged into a wall outlet the rate would be 2000mA (2A) approximately. Your phone is charging slowly because either there is a problem with the phone, the charger or the charger cable. Try disconnecting the cable from the phone and the charger block. Unplug the charger from the outlet that it is in. Go to a different outlet and plug everything back up and look at your battery screen again (the same one you posted the picture of above). Look where it shows the the percent and charging, see if it now says "Charging AC", if it does not try a different charger if you have one and also try a different cable too. By trying a different outlet, charger and cable you can eliminate which is causing the problem, lastly being a problem with the phone itself if different chargers, cables and outlet don't correct the issue.

TJPWX

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site

I'm with those who have battery drain issues. I'm with ATT and notice the battery draining dramatically during use. Even in U Power Save mode my phone dropped 7% in 6 hours. A buddy of my with the Gs5 went an entire week on power save mode. So, I agree with others that there's something wrong.

Also, I've noted with others that my WiFi seems to be constantly active. Arrows seems to be active constantly.

tarpon6

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site

I'm on Sprint too and am having battery issues. Drains fast and my screen is using 33% even with it turned down. This is only an hour after I was fully charged.
I have checked for the update but it is not available yet.

4% in 1.25 hours is battery drain? You would be able to go 25 hours with over 6 hours screen time at that rate.. Looks ok to me..

Ncontrl

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site

If you you look at the screenshot that you posted, where it shows "83% Charging (USB)" that means the phone is taking the charge at what it believes is from a USB port - like it would get while connected to a computer for instance. The maximum charge rate under those circumstances would be at 500mA (0.5A) from a USB 2.0 port. While charging through the AC charger plugged into a wall outlet the rate would be 2000mA (2A) approximately. Your phone is charging slowly because either there is a problem with the phone, the charger or the charger cable. Try disconnecting the cable from the phone and the charger block. Unplug the charger from the outlet that it is in. Go to a different outlet and plug everything back up and look at your battery screen again (the same one you posted the picture of above). Look where it shows the the percent and charging, see if it now says "Charging AC", if it does not try a different charger if you have one and also try a different cable too. By trying a different outlet, charger and cable you can eliminate which is causing the problem, lastly being a problem with the phone itself if different chargers, cables and outlet don't correct the issue.
Your right on that... It should read Charging(AC) instead of Charging(USB)

screwhead728

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site

I have a question in regards to the battery. Do you guys who have about about 15 hrs of use and 20 or more percent left on it, have the screen brightness in full? I ask this question because I like to have my screen brightness to max. Also, do you guys have location on? I have it on but the mode is on Power Saving (uses wifi and mobile network to estimate your location). Will appreciate your feedback.

thegame161

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site

I have a question in regards to the battery. Do you guys who have about about 15 hrs of use and 20 or more percent left on it, have the screen brightness in full? I ask this question because I like to have my screen brightness to max. Also, do you guys have location on? I have it on but the mode is on Power Saving (uses wifi and mobile network to estimate your location). Will appreciate your feedback.
Here's mine and no never have location on unless I'm using maps

Attachments

• 1413721600263.jpg
    1413721600263.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 233

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site

Your screenshot shows it charging over USB. Is that the way you have been charging your phone? You do know that charging over USB will only give you a fraction of the charge rate you would get through AC charging and would take a long time to fully charge your phone. If it's taking seven hours to get a 60% charge with an AC charger then yes you have an issue, with USB charging that length of time would be expected if the phone is powered on.

Good catch! This is definitely the issue here. USB is painfully slow.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Here's mine. I always have wifi, Bluetooth, and location (high accuracy) on all the time. I take the set it and forget approach, just don't want to toggle stuff on and off all the time. I set my brightness at 50% on auto and it works fine for me. With auto turned on the brightness ramps up fine for outdoors. As you can see in the screenshot location is only turning on periodically, it does not stay on all the time. I need it for my commute times in Google Now, traffic around Atlanta is horrible. I'm usually off charger for 15 to 16 hours with no issues. :)

image.jpg

parscale

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site

Been following this thread. Something is wrong and AT&T needs to post the update. Losing 1% every 6 minutes on average. My S5 on heavy usage is way better.

Posted via the Android Central App

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site

Thank you so very much! I guess whatever outlet I was using was faulty and therefore thinking it was charging via USB. I changed outlets and it read AC. Another question, is there any app I can get that keeps wifi off until I have it turned on? I went to bed with wifi turned off, 100% and woke up later with 95%, wifi on, and a **** ton of app notifications. Also how do I turn off push notifications? Sorry, although I am an android girl I still haven't figured out everything the note has to offer so any help is greatly appreciated.

vader4633

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

If you have battery issues, make sure you are not syncing to drop box or google photo back up all times. For example, I use photos to back up all my photos but in the settings I have it only back up when plugged in to the charger. Hopefully this might help someone.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Thank you so very much! I guess whatever outlet I was using was faulty and therefore thinking it was charging via USB. I changed outlets and it read AC. Another question, is there any app I can get that keeps wifi off until I have it turned on? I went to bed with wifi turned off, 100% and woke up later with 95%, wifi on, and a **** ton of app notifications. Also how do I turn off push notifications? Sorry, although I am an android girl I still haven't figured out everything the note has to offer so any help is greatly appreciated.

Open settings, tap on wifi, tap the 3 dot menu button upper right corner, tap advanced, uncheck always allow scanning, tap keep wifi on during sleep and select - only when plugged in and the exit your settings you're done. As for the notifications they will be controlled through each apps settings. Open and check the app settings for the ones that you're concerned about and see if they have a switch option for notifications. You could also go into settings, application manager, find the app in the list - tap it and on the resulting screen uncheck - show notifications. Glad to hear you got your charging issue corrected.

mick21

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site

hi guys got my note 4 on friday too fully charged it then started setting up accounts and getting apps and it went down to 69% very fast went to bed and wen i woke up it was down to 28% so was very dissapointed i had a look at my setting and found in the display settings i had led indicator ticked so i unticked that fully charged it again and got 14 hours out of a full charge with screen on full brightness and mobile data on and tethering on and bluetooth on which i was inpressed by i had the original note and only got about 6 hours on the same settings. so far im happy.
also after a full charge i went to bed and when i got up it was 94%.

livetoride4666

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site

I've been following this thread, because battery life is important to me. I currently have a oneplus one and the battery is Amazing. I am a HEAVY user, I keep wifi, Bluetooth, everything on and I get a day and a half. I don't think with a phone the size of a note you should have to be toggling on or off settings for battery life. So far this thread is swaying me to just keep my current phone.

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site

Ok... some of you guys need to realize that if you set up a phone, and play around with it (on top of that), the phone is working overtime - doesn't matter the device... The kernel/stock rom has to settle into the phone (sounds weird but it is 100% right on), if you're phone drains like this after a full week of use of the phone - then you should go into settings - manage applications/application manager - select Google Play Services, clear cache... then select google play store and clear cache - reboot the phone after those two steps.

We live in a world of high expectations and little patience... just wait it out - especially if you AT&T users haven't received the update yet.

lazerproof

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site

Not sure what that means? I am charging with the charger it came with, plugged into the wall.

The charger that came with it is a 9v charger so you should be able to fast charge, if not something wrong. Don't expect to get anywhere the same charge times with any other charge method. As others have said, make sure that you have fast charge enabled and check for updates. I know that the day I got mine, I was prompt for an update as I was walking out of Tmo.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance