Why is the battery life on my Note 4 low?

Zergslayer69

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
Re: Battery life on Note 4

Makes you wonder how those reviewers managed to get the 12+ hour video playback test. Just getting more than 6 hours of screen time is amazing.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I have no glue how does someone get over 6h of screen on time. I hardly get 3 hours and I don't even use the device much. Android system and android os are the biggest battery consumers for me

Which carrier version do you have? T-Mobile received a battery fix update -- I don't think the other carriers have released it yet.

screwhead728

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site

I always turn off the Wi-fi as soon as I leave the house. I also have Bluetooth off, Media Server off, GPS off, NFC off and I get EXCELLENT battery usage every day. I don't have Power Saving mode on and I have the brightness at 100%. I'm a heavy user. I listen to ESPN Radio every day at work, probably for a good 3-4 hours in total, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, Flipboard, e-mails, and probably a few web sites here and there. Leave the house at 7:30 AM with 100% and when I get home, I have 45-50% around 5:30 PM, meaning I can definitely go a day without charging. The carrier also matters and BIG time. I used to have Sprint before, I recently moved to At&t and now I can finally say that I get to enjoy my phone. Sprint's network sucks so much that your phone's battery drains looking for signal, downloading, etc. So it also depends on the carrier.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I always turn off the Wi-fi as soon as I leave the house. I also have Bluetooth off, Media Server off, GPS off, NFC off and I get EXCELLENT battery usage every day. I don't have Power Saving mode on and I have the brightness at 100%. I'm a heavy user. I listen to ESPN Radio every day at work, probably for a good 3-4 hours in total, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, Flipboard, e-mails, and probably a few web sites here and there. Leave the house at 7:30 AM with 100% and when I get home, I have 45-50% around 5:30 PM, meaning I can definitely go a day without charging. The carrier also matters and BIG time. I used to have Sprint before, I recently moved to At&t and now I can finally say that I get to enjoy my phone. Sprint's network sucks so much that your phone's battery drains looking for signal, downloading, etc. So it also depends on the carrier.

Brightness 100%? Ouch. I would be blind haha :p.

criffaaa1

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

I'd say so, those look like the most ridiculous numbers I've heard of yet. How you managed 8 hours of screen on time is beyond me (though it shows it jumped from a low % to ~100% and doesn't climb like with regular charging so did you swap batteries? If so it would seem that at least an hour of battery time [and screen on time?] would be taken off considering the chart is ~20 hours of time condensed). Im impressed, any suggestions?

No battery swap involved, I did however let the phone die completely before I charged it. I turned it on at 99% checked the battery stats and grabbed a quick screenshot. Although its been said you don't need to power cycle the batteries I still do it. I'll go from 100% and let it run till the phone completely dies before I recharge. I actually ran VEVO for 3 or 4 hours to kill the battery so I could recharge.

diablo900t

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I came across this thread, been having similar issues with my Note 4 battery life. I'm on AT&T and Android System is always taking 20-30% of the battery on any given charge. Best screen time I got was a little over 3 hours.

Also, showing that the phone is awake a lot longer than the screen is on. Even when the screen IS on, I can watch the battery percentage easily drop 1% every minute or two.

I even tried a factory reset, and just added my Google account to the phone - turned off Wi-Fi scanning, location services reporting, bluetooth, and GPS, same issues.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm on US Cellular, running stock TW and having no issues whatsoever with battery life. I'm actually quite impressed with how long the battery lasts on this, compared to my S4 and S2.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
Just got my AT&T Note 4 yesterday and today my battery is not so good. 2 1/2 hours of on screen time and I'm under 50% remaining.

I charged it full last night and am going to drain it today until it's dead then fully recharge.

I'm not concerned at the moment and will see if it improves over the next week or so.

Ehab Salem

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site

My Note 4 has the same battery drain issue. I went from 100% to 80% in one hour during which I was doing facebook and web browsing and 10 minutes of music using my headphones.
I'm going to return it while I still can.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site

I may have found the cause on my drain.

I had one email account setup with Exchange but since changing it to imap the drain is much less..

If you have an exchange email account, check that maybe. I am almost out of juice and will do a full recharge then report back..

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

My Note 4 has the same battery drain issue. I went from 100% to 80% in one hour during which I was doing facebook and web browsing and 10 minutes of music using my headphones.
I'm going to return it while I still can.

That's not necessarily an unusual drain of battery with a new phone. Especially if you're still in the process of getting the phone set up. I drained a good deal of batter from my phone the first day trying to get everything set up. It has been excellent in the days since.

Ehab Salem

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site

That's not necessarily an unusual drain of battery with a new phone. Especially if you're still in the process of getting the phone set up. I drained a good deal of batter from my phone the first day trying to get everything set up. It has been excellent in the days since.
Thanks for the feedback . I got the phone for two days only . I was charging it only through USB connection to my laptop . I need that becuase I'm tethering . When I get home today I'll charge through AC outlet using adapter supplied . I hope that will resolve the issue.

yeatzee

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site

Im currently on my best battery charge yet. I charged the phone after school before heading off to a Halloween party, used it sparingly there for obvious reason, then used GPS and bluetooth and pandora to get me home about an hour and thirty minute drive getting home around 4 am. Once home I was to exhausted to think about the phone and just fell asleep without charging it and decided when I woke up to just act normal and see how far I can go on this battery and so far im at 23 hours on 35% battery remaining. I had the foresight to turn power saving mode on the phone before falling asleep, and I kept it on all day (the stock setup with that, no grayscale or anything). WOW. Couldn't ask for anything better.

Mr973

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site

Heavy use.... going to try lite use...in a week or so

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-11-02-00-24-55.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-11-02-00-24-55.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 150

Curtis187

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone.
I use galaxy note 4 exynos version and I think I also have a battery issue. I have ny screen brightness auto +5 and check the screen shot...screen consumes 50 % of battery life? Is it ok? I switched from note 2 and looks like the battery life is definitly worse than in note 2... im from Poland thats why screen shot is in polish but i think you know what i meant

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-11-05-10-53-52.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-11-05-10-53-52.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 143

maximalife

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site

I dont see how people are getting 18-20 hours full use and 5-7 on screen time. I get around 11 full and 3.5 on screen

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

This is purely anecdotal but I have amazing battery life after coming from Note 3 post-KitKat. I think I may have said it earlier in this thread...then Monday my daughter asked me to play Words with Friends since she is away at school and we can't play Scrabble anymore. Immediately I saw it drop ...like maybe 10 points in an hour. Then I saw a bunch of Google results on 'words with friends battery hog'. So those of you with facebook games platform and things like that may want to check. It would account for why some see problems and some don't.

One solution I saw was to "Restrict Background Data" on a per app basis in settings. I didn't save the link. Just look in data usage and battery usage. If you see something using even more than Screen in battery usage it is a problem. And I guess restricting data usage on this app makes it stop doing what drains the battery. It was something about the game constantly checking for the next move as opposed to the move just being sent. EDIT...Adding that it doesn't use much actual data...

logik brooklyn

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm having issues myself, or at least I think it is from what I've heard about this phone. Granted it's light years better than my iphone 5, I still get unusual off screen drain time.

I'll lose around 15-20% during sleep. I also noticed today, I got in work at 9, and had meetings up until about 1. Very light use obviously during this time...but I'm currently typing this at 59%.

I looked at my meter and words with friends is using 37%...I probably have to many notifications on somewhere...I'll still get through a full work day. But my screen off time almost seems equal to my on time.

I did just notice I keep getting the location symbol at top, even after I dismiss it. It's set to high accuracy, and it seems like it's constantly searching. I'm going to lower that and report back.

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Words with Friends is huge...Even though I restricted background data and it is better it is still the highest battery usage item. Other than that my battery life is great. I saw out there that it is constantly asking the network"did the other player play?did the other player play? again and again instead of having a way to just wait for it. Like when people talk about the phone radio searching for a signal. Uninstall for a day or so and see what happens...

I'm having issues myself, or at least I think it is from what I've heard about this phone. Granted it's light years better than my iphone 5, I still get unusual off screen drain time.

I'll lose around 15-20% during sleep. I also noticed today, I got in work at 9, and had meetings up until about 1. Very light use obviously during this time...but I'm currently typing this at 59%.

I looked at my meter and words with friends is using 37%...I probably have to many notifications on somewhere...I'll still get through a full work day. But my screen off time almost seems equal to my on time.

I did just notice I keep getting the location symbol at top, even after I dismiss it. It's set to high accuracy, and it seems like it's constantly searching. I'm going to lower that and report back.