07-22-2015 02:50 AM
62 123
tools
    Messenger plus, which comes pre loaded in sprint note 4,is better than both.

NOTE 4,, GO BIG OR GO HOME!
    11-06-2014 05:21 PM
    Tried Messenger plus the first day I got my Note 4. Did not like it; kept saying I had unread messages that I did read. I think the stock messenger app is fine. Works well enough for me.
    11-06-2014 05:39 PM
    Turning off vibration helped a little, but it still repeats words multiple times. Sucks.

The reason I like hangouts is so that I can message my friends on android, iOS, Mac, PC and Chromebook (yes, I have way too many devices in my life). It seems to be the best option for multiplatform messaging.
    Question... Do you also have the hangouts dialer installed?
    11-06-2014 06:35 PM
    Question... Do you also have the hangouts dialer installed?
    I do not. I had it installed on my prior phone (Nexus 5), but never ever used it. I have no desire to use it... Just text messaging for me. I do use Google voice and have that app separately installed (I don't integrate it at all with Hangouts).
    11-06-2014 07:25 PM
    I do not. I had it installed on my prior phone (Nexus 5), but never ever used it. I have no desire to use it... Just text messaging for me. I do use Google voice and have that app separately installed (I don't integrate it at all with Hangouts).
    Ah, I was asking because the dialer was causing my hangouts app to be slow and buggy just like you've described. I uninstalled the dialer and all of the problems with freezing while typing and slowness in general went away.
    11-06-2014 07:35 PM
    Textra hands down! To me it's visually the nicest sms app out there and it is buttery smooth .... also love that it has a dark mode and other color customizations as well

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-06-2014 08:16 PM
    I came over from iPhone and had heard Hangouts was a must-have text app that would come close to the functionality of iMessage. I downloaded it with high expectations and when I tried to send a couple texts it instead sent invites to the recipients asking them to download Hangouts. I had no idea that it was going to require my friends and family to download and use the app. I just assumed it would simply send/receive texts as any text app would do, with maybe a little more style or panache and with the ability to do group texts to Android and Windows phones as well as iPhones.

I just went back to the stock texting app. Not many of my family and friends are techies who want to download and use some app that isn't already on their phone.

The only question I have is whether I can send, receive and respond to group texts from iPhone users. Right now I seem to GET them but it doesn't appear that anyone gets my responses TO them.
    11-06-2014 08:31 PM
    I came over from iPhone and had heard Hangouts was a must-have text app that would come close to the functionality of iMessage. I downloaded it with high expectations and when I tried to send a couple texts it instead sent invites to the recipients asking them to download Hangouts. I had no idea that it was going to require my friends and family to download and use the app. I just assumed it would simply send/receive texts as any text app would do, with maybe a little more style or panache and with the ability to do group texts to Android and Windows phones as well as iPhones.

I just went back to the stock texting app. Not many of my family and friends are techies who want to download and use some app that isn't already on their phone.

The only question I have is whether I can send, receive and respond to group texts from iPhone users. Right now I seem to GET them but it doesn't appear that anyone gets my responses TO them.
    You have to enable SMS texting within the hangouts app then you can send and receive SMS messages just like on the stock message app

You probably had hangouts requests sent out because you were trying to initiate a hangout as opposed to an SMS conversation

11-06-2014 09:04 PM
    You have to enable SMS texting within the hangouts app then you can send and receive SMS messages just like on the stock message app

Thanks. Does Hangouts still require my contacts to download the app first?
    11-06-2014 09:06 PM
    Alex, thanks for the tip. Now that I enabled SMS in Hangouts I've been able to send/receive texts from an iPhone user and an Android user, neither of whom have Hangouts. I'll give Hangouts a second look now.
    11-06-2014 09:19 PM
    Alex, thanks for the tip. Now that I enabled SMS in Hangouts I've been able to send/receive texts from an iPhone user and an Android user, neither of whom have Hangouts. I'll give Hangouts a second look now.
    No problem, glad I could help!

11-06-2014 11:20 PM
    Every android phone has hangouts just like every iphone has imessage... Difference is its it popular to the point ppl realize we have the same experience as iphone kinda if they just open the app ppl never Open it lol

Posted via Android Central App
    11-07-2014 04:22 AM
    Textra

11-07-2014 05:53 AM
    Ah, I was asking because the dialer was causing my hangouts app to be slow and buggy just like you've described. I uninstalled the dialer and all of the problems with freezing while typing and slowness in general went away.
    SwiftKey makes the lagging and freezing less than the Samsung keyboard, but it's still there. Hangouts must be a memory hog... I don't know what else to do. So frustrating for such a powerful phone. I don't have this issue on any of my non-Android devices. It just can't keep up with my lightning fast typing ๐Ÿ˜•
    11-07-2014 12:10 PM
    Tried Messenger plus the first day I got my Note 4. Did not like it; kept saying I had unread messages that I did read. I think the stock messenger app is fine. Works well enough for me.
    I don't seem to have this issue,, apps do get updates to fix bugs.

NOTE 4,, GO BIG OR GO HOME!
    11-07-2014 03:04 PM
    I have tried several and keep going back to Hangouts. I also use Swiftkey keyboard
    11-07-2014 03:15 PM
    I use Verizon Messenger plus, it is fast and will also work on my wifi only tablets as well as laptop and desktop. It's also very customizable which can be a big plus in large group text.

Posted via the Android Central App from the beast A.K.A. Note 4.
    11-07-2014 03:20 PM
    I love SwiftKey!
    Note 4 Hangouts vs Stock Messenger-screenshot_2014-11-07-13-27-30.jpg
    11-07-2014 03:29 PM
    SwiftKey makes the lagging and freezing less than the Samsung keyboard, but it's still there. Hangouts must be a memory hog... I don't know what else to do. So frustrating for such a powerful phone. I don't have this issue on any of my non-Android devices. It just can't keep up with my lightning fast typing ๐Ÿ˜•
    earlier today I cleared the cache on my Note (in recovery) and reinstalled the hangouts dialer and I haven't been seeing any lag or freezing. Try clearing your cache and see if that fixes your issues.

.. I'm also using SwiftKey.
    11-07-2014 07:04 PM
    May I ask a question not to thread jack but on using textra, is there a way to get a badge icon notification as well? If I miss a text I'd like there to be a one or however many number of texts displayed over the app

11-08-2014 11:07 AM
    I like hangouts because of the option to archive messages. I get hundreds of texts from work that I may need to look at later. This way they are out of the way but accessible.

11-08-2014 11:54 AM
    May I ask a question not to thread jack but on using textra, is there a way to get a badge icon notification as well? If I miss a text I'd like there to be a one or however many number of texts displayed over the app

Not sure if you're sticking withTW, but Nova launcher allows you to add an unread badge to nearly any app.

11-08-2014 01:53 PM
    I have nova running now, I'll check those settings out....thanks

11-08-2014 01:56 PM
    Under settings Find "Badge App Icon" and check it to show unread msg count on Icon.
    11-12-2014 09:16 AM
    I've been using the Hangouts for a couple of weeks now and it's working fine for my uses. One question that I have is while there's a sound notification of an incoming message, the screen doesn't display it. Is that/this "normal"? Sometimes I'd just like a quick glance that's all. Though I've managed to customize SMS/MMS sound notifications for specific contacts to alert me as to who/where it's from.
    04-19-2015 03:28 PM
62 123