03-26-2015 04:15 PM
75 123
tools
    It adds flaps to the phone, which become inconvenient when trying to use the ports. If you're not using a wireless charging this becomes somewhat of a hassle when charging your phone.
    True but if one is not using the
    water proof feature, can't he or she just remove those flaps
    10-19-2014 11:04 PM
    2. 64 bit processor in order to improve processing efficiency and enhance battery life.
    Why do you think a 64 bit processor will allow you to do either of these things? It won't.

A 64 bit processor will allow you to directly address more than 4 gb of ram. That's it.

Unless the note 5 has a lot more ram, the 64 bit processor will just be a marketing bullet point.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    bassplayrguy likes this.
    10-19-2014 11:14 PM
    what's wrong with water proofing?
    I agree with what Tartrate said. And I don't want the rubber gaskets on my high-end phone. I don't want my phone to look like a piece of plumbing!

If Samsung came out with a Note Active line, that would be OK. I prefer the current Note series to remain as is.
    10-20-2014 12:14 AM
    Good grief I may just be completely out of my mind here but Samsung has the Edge to get though, another Gseries for starters. While overall, the N4 maybe just looks like a slight move to up the ladder of Note development, as is the case with many design/manufacture houses, Samsung is concentrating on specific elements of the Note with each release. Seen in that context, (camera, housing, SPen, display) these elements have at least from what I have seen enjoyed a pretty decent upgrade. It is not like they have completely ignored other areas of development either.

As for waterproofing, the other changes that would bring are hard to envision. I would not want Samsung to even attempt it for the Note series, It would mean too many other changes that I don't want to see on a Note.
    stackberry369 likes this.
    10-20-2014 12:39 AM
    Hopefully the thin phone war ends. I like the feel of a phone and not a thin piece of plastic in my hands. I'm sure at some point in the future they come make aperture blade small enough. The note 4 is thin enough IMHO. A slightly thicker phone could give us better optics and other internal hardware.

Just wishing....

Posted via My Note 4
    Yeah, I agree. In fact, another good reason to put a case on it is how thin and slippery it seems. It's like half the time, there's nothing to grab on to!

I agree with what Tartrate said. And I don't want the rubber gaskets on my high-end phone. I don't want my phone to look like a piece of plumbing!
    Well, the popular Otterbox Commuter cases, for instance, all have port flaps for protection. It's no big deal. When I first saw the concept, I had a negative reaction. "Oh! What a pain that will be." Got used to it very quickly and now find it valuable. But if someone doesn't like it, they're easy enough to slice off.
    10-20-2014 03:16 AM
    The stereo sound avaiable on other modern phones is very nice. That would be HUGE for the next version
    10-20-2014 01:48 PM
    Yeah front facing stereo speakers would be nice. Though it would increase the footprint on the phone. I'd be happy with rear facing ones

Posted via the Android Central App on my Death Note 4
    10-20-2014 04:56 PM
    4k amoled,
    10-20-2014 06:17 PM
    I'm done buying phones this will be my last one lol

Sent from my Frost White T-Mobile Galaxy Note 4
    10-20-2014 07:51 PM
    I would like to see a better speaker design too. Due to my older plan I was unable to get the Note 4 w/o paying an arm and a leg but based on past release dates my upgrade will happen around the same time the Note 5 should be released. Can't wait to see what they come up with!

Posted via Android Central App
    10-20-2014 07:55 PM

Well, the popular Otterbox Commuter cases, for instance, all have port flaps for protection. It's no big deal. When I first saw the concept, I had a negative reaction. "Oh! What a pain that will be." Got used to it very quickly and now find it valuable. But if someone doesn't like it, they're easy enough to slice off.
    I don't use Otterbox cases of any kind. It's fine if you think that waterproofing a phone is valuable. I find it highly undesirable. I shouldn't have to cut things off of a $750 phone.

People who want waterproofing for a phone that is not waterproof can add cases that will perform that function. People who don't want waterproofing on a phone that came with that "feature" would have to cut up a phone in order to get it back to the state that they desire. The first scenario seems far more reasonable to me than the second scenario does.
    10-20-2014 08:32 PM
    Nothing I'm upgrading from a droid razr and will probably wait for note 6/7 LOL
    10-20-2014 08:40 PM
    Nothing I'm upgrading from a droid razr and will probably wait for note 6/7 LOL
    I'm just curious why you have stuck with your razor so long? You are interested in new technology enough to be checking out this forum, but are still waiting for something in perhaps the Note 6 or 7. What are you waiting for? Or maybe I misunderstood your post. Did you just get the Note 4? If so, I'm sure you are going to love it. If so, what finally made you upgrade?

10-21-2014 05:55 AM
    I'm done buying phones this will be my last one lol
    This won't be my last one. But I'm definitely and most of all weary of constantly setting the phone up again. I'm not so concerned with the money--not irrelevant, but the phone companies have found ways around that for most people.

But a) the search for a new case! How many will I try? How many will I send back? (b) the screen protector search! Which ones don't have halos and rounded edges??? (c) all my tweaks, which wallpaper works best now, what app won't work, sign back into everything, set up all my personal preferences yet again on some things like Cool Reader, PowerAmp....on and on. And let's sideload this app and that one. In a certain sense, it isn't that difficult. In another sense--I have better things to do.

I need a really good reason to upgrade now. Obsolescence or some feature I really want on a new model. We'll see where it goes. I won't ever say "never," but I won't be surprised if I keep this at least 3 years, either, barring some fantastic new model feature or breakage.
    10-21-2014 06:35 AM
    i will just reiterate the thing I said all along:

1. wireless over the air charging, no contact whatsoever.
    2. large, foldable display, can be used as 5-6 incher out of pocket, turn into 8-10 incher when opening up.
    3. doubled battery life.

any of these will tempt me. But #2 will get me to buy right away.
    monsieurms likes this.
    10-21-2014 07:12 AM
    i just am getting the note 4 tomorrow!!! I've been holding off because of my unlimited data and lack of funds. I finally in a position where i can afford a new phone off contract and my razr sucks now lol(was good when it came out), as for this forum yes i have my razr rooted and love the customizability of it and stay involved with following tech just wasn't able to get it lol. But I'm just so used to an out of date device that i feel this note 4 will have no problem occupying my time till its 6th or even 7th predecessor come around.

I'm just curious why you have stuck with your razor so long? You are interested in new technology enough to be checking out this forum, but are still waiting for something in perhaps the Note 6 or 7. What are you waiting for? Or maybe I misunderstood your post. Did you just get the Note 4? If so, I'm sure you are going to love it. If so, what finally made you upgrade?

10-21-2014 02:50 PM
    Whatever it is, I'm sure I'll pick it up. LOL

A few weeks ago I kept saying that Samsung should've stayed with 5.5". Now a few days before it comes out up here, I can't wait to pick it up this Friday!

tapatalk LG pro D852
    10-21-2014 03:37 PM
    If they do to it what they did to the S6, IE non-removable/replaceable battery and no SD card slot, I will not be buying it!
    TechNut79 likes this.
    03-26-2015 11:22 AM
    What would the Note 5 have to have for me?

How 'bout NOT Lollipop.
    03-26-2015 11:32 AM
    Let's see. The Note 5 will have to be waterproof, have the dual edge screen like the S6 edge, all metal chassis with large screen that is the best on the market. Amazing S pen functionality, and free to upgrade to when trading in the Note 4. Otherwise I see no reason to upgrade yet. Especially considering the Note 5 doesn't exist yet.
    03-26-2015 11:51 AM
    Let's see. The Note 5 will have to be waterproof, have the dual edge screen like the S6 edge, all metal chassis with large screen that is the best on the market. Amazing S pen functionality, and free to upgrade to when trading in the Note 4. Otherwise I see no reason to upgrade yet. Especially considering the Note 5 doesn't exist yet.
    Not everybody is a fan of the curved edges.
    TechNut79 likes this.
    03-26-2015 12:00 PM
    If you didn't upgrade to the Note 4, what will the Note 5 need to improve upon in order to get you more interested in upgrading?

Here's my wish list:
    1. Better sound. Do away with rear speaker and give us stereo sound on the front.
    2. 64 bit processor in order to improve processing efficiency and enhance battery life.
    3. Better low light sensitivity with larger rear camera sensor
    4. Improved, easier to use fingerprint sensor on a par with Apple's.
    5. Unique metal case design. (The N4 has arguably just copied an older Apple case design with its beveled metal frame.)
    6.Return the USB 3.0 port of the Note 3.
    7. Enhanced phone call quality.
    8. Better inter carrier compatibility. ( Apple is doing this with the Ipad Air 2.)
    9. Make the s- pen more user friendly. It isn't very intuitive to use right now.
    10. Get rid of some of the bloat ware that takes up nearly half of the Note 4's internal memory.

Sounds like you should trade in for an Iphone.
    03-26-2015 12:25 PM
    My personal wish list:

Better sound, and especially front stereo would be awesome - for design cues, look at the Moto X 2014. The speakers are small enough not to get in the way at all.

Eliminate the metal and go back to plastic. Lighter, more durable, cheaper. I'mma just cover it with a case anyway.

Larger rear camera sensor would make better motion and low-light photos. Do that before adding any more megapixels to the teeny pinhole camera lens.

Add a teeny little bit of thickness/weight and go BEAST MODE with the (user-replaceable) battery. 5+Ah or go home. This is a business phone, it should be able to last all day with the screen ON.

64-bit processor *IF* you intend to put more than 4GB RAM on it and build out a native compiled 64-bit Android OS. But wait until the Nexus 9 gets the kinks worked out of 64 bit first. That's what experimental reference architectures are for.

Skip USB 3.0 and go USB 3.1 with a USB-C connector. If we need a specialized cable to get better speeds, make it one that is also compatible with more power AND future-proofed.

All the bands and all the radios in one device, so when you unlock it, it works on any carrier.

EDIT to add: Oh, and some level of splash resistance. I don't mean S5-style waterproofing with the clumsy plug covers, but Moto X-style Liquipel treatment so at least you don't have to protect it while it's raining out.
    03-26-2015 03:03 PM
    @ All..

Debate, discuss and speculate over things all you like but taking things personal, targeting each other with insulting or trolling responses is completely uncalled for. Nobody is obligated to respond to each other. If something needs Moderator attention then please hit the report button and allow the Mod team to step in and handle things.

Thanks!

Paul
    Mod Team Leader @ AC.
    03-26-2015 03:53 PM
    @ All..

Debate, discuss and speculate over things all you like but taking things personal, targeting each other with insulting or trolling responses is completely uncalled for. Nobody is obligated to respond to each other. If something needs Moderator attention then please hit the report button and allow the Mod team to step in and handle things.

Thanks!

Paul
    Mod Team Leader @ AC.
    I understand Paul. We all get carried away sometimes behind a computer, phone, whatever. I apologize for being out of line.
    03-26-2015 04:15 PM
75 123