Tethering not working on Note 4 AT&T

Ted Stevens

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
Got my Note 4 on 10/17... replaced my iPhone 5S... and so far im loving the Note4 and Android....But I cant get my tethering / hotspot to work properly and im paying the extra $ to have tethering on my AT&T account and it use to work just fine on my iPhone 5S. I goto Setting > Connections > Tethering and Wifi Hotspot.... I turned on the hotspot but my personal laptop will not pick up a Wifi signal coming from the phone, I tried my work laptop as well and it as well cant see my Note4 wifi signal. I tried changing the SSID name and making the connection unsecure just to see if that would help and it did nothing. I also tried tethering over USB and it recognized my phone as a network card but then said it could not connect to the internet. I then turned off the Note4 pulled the battery and hit the power button to drain remaining power, reinserted battery and turned the phone back on and the tethering still doesnt work. Do you guys have any suggestions on how to fix this?

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I would call AT&T tech support and if they can't resolve the issue they may transfer you to Samsung tech support. It's also possible your phone has defective hardware.

I use pdanet+ (Foxfi) to avoid the AT&T $20/mo charge for tethering on my grandfathered unlimited data plan and I connected my desk laptop with it last night via Bluetooth. Later today I'm going to try my mobile hybrid laptop and I'll post the results. On my S3 I was unable to use the pdanet+ mobile hotspot, I had to use Bluetooth which sometimes had too slow a connection to load a browser or physically tether it which always worked but excessively drained my computer batteries because it was always charging the phone while tethered.

Darren Kitchens

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
Are you trying via Bluetooth or Wifi? I just recently went from the iPhone to the Note 4 and I used my iPhone as the hotspot for my Parrot Asteroid stereo. first thing I noticed is, unlike the iPhone, the Note 4 does not do bluetooth tethering. it will only do it as a wifi hotspot. this is a pain since you can't have wifi on at the same time as wifi tethering. so now my options are to 1. leave wifi off and use a lot more data, 2. manually switch back and forth when I need tethering (kind of a pain) or 3. get a dedicated usb dongle for my stereo so I don't have to tether (another $10 a month).
I have tried various "bluetooth tethering apps" like Foxfi and bluetooth tether, but none seemed to work at all.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I would call AT&T...

But what do you mean you're paying extra money for tethering? It's included in AT&T's plans.... I'd make sure you aren't being charged for something they're legally not allowed to charge extra for. They can charge for more data but the FCC said if they're selling limited packages people can tether the data away if they want at no extra cost.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I would call AT&T...

But what do you mean you're paying extra money for tethering? It's included in AT&T's plans.... I'd make sure you aren't being charged for something they're legally not allowed to charge extra for. They can charge for more data but the FCC said if they're selling limited packages people can tether the data away if they want at no extra cost.
No there not if your not on the mobile share plans. Unlike Verizon they aren't forcing you to change if you have one of their older plans.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Are you trying via Bluetooth or Wifi? I just recently went from the iPhone to the Note 4 and I used my iPhone as the hotspot for my Parrot Asteroid stereo. first thing I noticed is, unlike the iPhone, the Note 4 does not do bluetooth tethering. it will only do it as a wifi hotspot. this is a pain since you can't have wifi on at the same time as wifi tethering. so now my options are to 1. leave wifi off and use a lot more data, 2. manually switch back and forth when I need tethering (kind of a pain) or 3. get a dedicated usb dongle for my stereo so I don't have to tether (another $10 a month).
I have tried various "bluetooth tethering apps" like Foxfi and bluetooth tether, but none seemed to work at all.

I Bluetooth tethered my desk laptop for a 4G/LTE data connection last night using pdanet+/Foxfi and under those circumstances you can have Wifi & Bluetooth both turned on on the N4. I have been unable to use the pdanet mobile hotspot.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
No there not if your not on the mobile share plans. Unlike Verizon they aren't forcing you to change if you have one of their older plans.

On an AT&T grandfathered unlimited data plan it costs an extra $20/mo for the mobile hotspot. It's only included in their Mobile Share plans.

Ted Stevens

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
I would call AT&T tech support and if they can't resolve the issue they may transfer you to Samsung tech support. It's also possible your phone has defective hardware.

I use pdanet+ (Foxfi) to avoid the AT&T $20/mo charge for tethering on my grandfathered unlimited data plan and I connected my desk laptop with it last night via Bluetooth. Later today I'm going to try my mobile hybrid laptop and I'll post the results. On my S3 I was unable to use the pdanet+ mobile hotspot, I had to use Bluetooth which sometimes had too slow a connection to load a browser or physically tether it which always worked but excessively drained my computer batteries because it was always charging the phone while tethered.

I did call AT&T and my issue stumped their lower level tech support group...they said they submitted a ticket and i should hear back from someone higher up by Wed 10/22. Kind of slow response if you ask me but hopefully who ever calls me knows more about these Samsung phones... because the lower level tech support group seemed to know less about it than I did (and i just started using an Android phone on Friday LOL).

clatus

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site

Verizon doesn't force you to change. I still have unlimited data and I can tether.

Ted Stevens

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
I would call AT&T...

I have the mobile share plan... i just wanted to differentiate that i wasnt trying to use tethering for free and its actually a paid feature of my AT&T service plan. So it seems like it should work on the stock phone app.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I did call AT&T and my issue stumped their lower level tech support group...they said they submitted a ticket and i should hear back from someone higher up by Wed 10/22. Kind of slow response if you ask me but hopefully who ever calls me knows more about these Samsung phones... because the lower level tech support group seemed to know less about it than I did (and i just started using an Android phone on Friday LOL).

I would call Samsung tech support because it sounds like you've eliminated the AT&T wireless hotspot as the problem (i.e. you do have it). That's the problem with Android phones and carrier tech support because there are so many manufacturers and models. Without question Apple's iPhone tech support is far superior but that IMO is the only thing that's superior about the iPhone.

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I have the mobile share plan... i just wanted to differentiate that i wasnt trying to use tethering for free and its actually a paid feature of my AT&T service plan. So it seems like it should work on the stock phone app.

Try the Mobile Hotspot app/icon that AT&T has "conveniently" provided. For some reason, it leads to a different place than if you go the familiar route of Settings > Connections > Hotspot and Tethering.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ted Stevens

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
Try the Mobile Hotspot app/icon that AT&T has "conveniently" provided. For some reason, it leads to a different place than if you go the familiar route of Settings > Connections > Hotspot and Tethering.

Posted via the Android Central App

Yes I did try the AT&T icon in addition to where its located in the settings menu... still didnt work :( Looks like i need to call Samsung tech support. Do any of y'all (yes im from Texas) have any suggestions on the best way to get in touch with Samsung tech support?

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Yes I did try the AT&T icon in addition to where its located in the settings menu... still didnt work :( Looks like i need to call Samsung tech support. Do any of y'all (yes im from Texas) have any suggestions on the best way to get in touch with Samsung tech support?

Samsung

scroll to bottom right for phone #

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I hope the OP finds the problems and get it fixed.

In the meantime, just want to mention, that Tmobile, I have FREE tethering/hotspot, and can hook up as many as 5 device, and 2.5gb for those devices or just one, all free. I caught on to the extra charge other carriers are charging when I asked my wife to turn on her hotspot. She is with Sprint, they told her $19.95.. Ha, I laughed, thank you Tmobile!! ;)