Note 4 Can we talk about recording video in resolutions above 1080p?

Blipstein

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Other than viewing the video back on the device is there any advantage to recording in WQHD and UHD?

I don't have a 4K TV. I have the previous generation of iMac. When I tried recording higher than 1080p on the N3 I was unable to play it back on my iMac without it being choppy and skipping.

I assume I'll be running into the same situations by recording in the resolutions above 1080p?

Any insight on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Can we talk about recording video in resolutions above 1080p?

Other than viewing the video back on the device is there any advantage to recording in WQHD and UHD?

I don't have a 4K TV. I have the previous generation of iMac. When I tried recording higher than 1080p on the N3 I was unable to play it back on my iMac without it being choppy and skipping.

I assume I'll be running into the same situations by recording in the resolutions above 1080p?

Any insight on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
I don't think there will be any issues with playback at 1080p. Regarding the higher resolutions, it might not be advisable to record in that high of a definition if you won't be using a tv/screen that will support the same resolution. It's a lot more memory usage and sharing will hard to do.

KingTongue

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site

Sounds like you need a better cpu and or graphics card in computer to play higher resolution

Posted via the Android Central App

InfinitiFX35

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site

How is it that video playback can be choppy on an laptop with an i7 CPU, 2GB vid card, and 12GB of RAM but not the phone?

Bishop_99

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site

You never know if in the future the 4K/2160P TV's will become more standard and you may end up buying one. It will be nice to have a few clips recorded in that resolution to see later on. The QHD video recording is more so to match the resolution of the display. So when you play back a QHD/2.5K/1440p recorded video, it will be playing it in the native resolution of the display of the phone. Higher resolution and you capture more detail which you can see on playback in the Note 4, unlike the Note 3 which downconverted it to 1080p. 1080p recorded videos will be upconverted on your phone to fit the display, same way 720p videos are upconverted on a Note 3's display.

My recording time with a cell phone camera is limited, I much more prefer the quality of recording with an actual camcorder over any phones. But, there are some things I would like to have in 4K just incase I upgrade my tv in the future and this will be my only 4K camcorder lol. Although I prefer the look of recording 1080p at 60fps in the Note 4. 30fps in all the other setting are not as smooth.

VLC plays back the 1440p or 2160p videos just fine on my computer. Try out that player or you may need to upgrade the GPU.

soldier45

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site

Ive had a 4K PC display for months now, I'm one of those early adopters. Playback from the Note 4 @ 4K on it works perfectly, looks fantastic. Noticeable difference from 1080p video. Although there isn't much other 4K content out there than a few hundred YouTube videos and what ever video I make now lol.

jrsmiles

Oct 18, 2014
Visit site

I recorded a 60 second clip this afternoon in 4k. Outside, great sunlight. It looks AMAZING on the phone. I loaded it on my 2010 iMac and it as very stuttery playing back through VLC. Could be a number of things.

I'll probably leave the camera set to 1080p for videos I plan on downloading to my computer. I don't have a 4k TV or monitor.