04-19-2015 09:36 PM
31 12
tools
    Anyone else experiencing this? Researching the topic leads to Deficiencies with Spark... but isn't this a step in reverse ?

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-19-2014 05:18 PM
    It is a spark issue. Sprint needs VoLTE otherwise you won't get voice and data at the same time... Unless on wifi.
    10-19-2014 05:22 PM
    The Note 3 had the same problem. It worked on the note 2 which used the Exynos chipset.

10-19-2014 05:35 PM
    The inability for Spark devices to use voice and data at the same time is a 'feature' of the new 'service' that Sprint has introduced. I was shocked they would take such a huge step back but they did.
    10-19-2014 07:56 PM
    The inability for Spark devices to use voice and data at the same time is a 'feature' of the new 'service' that Sprint has introduced. I was shocked they would take such a huge step back but they did.
    Before Sprint would toss two radios in their phones so you could use one radio for voice.. The next for data. This is how older CDMA technology works (it can only handle 1 operation at a time whereas GSM can handle both with 1 radio). Since Spark is now out they decided to go back to 1 radio.. So therefor you only get voice or data... Not both.. Unless on wifi).. Or on VoLTE since your phone could use LTE for the call and data at the same time.

Not sure why Sprint decided to do that now.. But they did.. Even though I don't see them launching VoLTE for awhile.
    10-19-2014 08:40 PM
    I was listening to Leo Laporte today, and this question came up. Supposedly the Verizon Note 4 will have the same problem.
    10-19-2014 08:45 PM
    I was listening to Leo Laporte today, and this question came up. Supposedly the Verizon Note 4 will have the same problem.
    Usually it doesn't. Verizon still puts the dual radio in so they don't have this issue. They've done it with all their previous phones and never moved away from it like Sprint.
    10-19-2014 09:57 PM
    Plus Verizon has VOLTE.
    Preach2k likes this.
    10-19-2014 10:06 PM
    Plus Verizon has VOLTE.
    Only when calling another Verizon customer... who is also in a VoLTE area and also on a VoLTE device.
    10-19-2014 11:30 PM
    As far as i know VzW has retained the two radio approach. I am a little surprised at the Sprint decision although it is reminiscent of similar Sprint decisions from the past. Not saying they don't know what they are doing necessarily but that is very much like the Sprint I know.
    10-20-2014 03:14 AM
    As far as i know VzW has retained the two radio approach. I am a little surprised at the Sprint decision although it is reminiscent of similar Sprint decisions from the past. Not saying they don't know what they are doing necessarily but that is very much like the Sprint I know.
    They are absolute morons. I love Sprint. Been with them for 13 years now but the deduction of simultaneous voice and data is just flat out crazy.
    ubigred likes this.
    10-20-2014 05:10 AM
    They are not the sharpest tool in the shed...no question. Having been a telecom industry professional for a number of years before retirement, we were regularly left wondering about some of their business decisions until we finally saw a pattern we recognized. From then on we would just shake our heads and continue on.

I am not sure they could have survived themselves without the influence of talent brought in by the Nextel acquisition. Nextel was an entirely different company that had an entirely different business focus and technology base. But they were just flat out more talented than most of the folks Sprint had at the time....at least IMO.
    ubigred likes this.
    10-20-2014 05:44 AM
    They are absolute morons. I love Sprint. Been with them for 13 years now but the deduction of simultaneous voice and data is just flat out crazy.
    I would have to agree it's pretty crazy. Not sure why they took this approach since it just hurts customers... Now if they had VoLTE launching in a month or two I could see the reason then but.. I haven't heard Sprint VoLTE talks at all so.. .
    10-20-2014 08:36 AM
    The Note 3 had the same problem. It worked on the note 2 which used the Exynos chipset.

False.

I have a Sprint Note 3. I can do data and voice.

Sent from my SGNote 3
    10-20-2014 08:42 AM
    False.

I have a Sprint Note 3. I can do data and voice.

Sent from my SGNote 3
    IIRC,There are two versions.the Sprint note 3 as first released isn't spark capable and can do simultaneous voice and data. Later Sprint released a version with spark but can't do simultaneous voice and data

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus
    10-20-2014 09:44 AM
    IIRC,There are two versions.the Sprint note 3 as first released isn't spark capable and can do simultaneous voice and data. Later Sprint released a version with spark but can't do simultaneous voice and data

Once again, false information.

Sent from my SGNote 3
    10-20-2014 09:46 AM

Sent from my SGNote 3
    My apologies . Not that familiar with sprint. then you don't have spark,right?

10-20-2014 09:53 AM
    My apologies . Not that familiar with sprint. then you don't have spark,right?

Correct.

Sent from my SGNote 3
    dpham00 likes this.
    10-20-2014 09:54 AM

Sent from my SGNote 3
    If you have Spark you won't have a capable phone for voice and data. They removed once they made Spark enabled phones.
    ubigred likes this.
    10-20-2014 09:55 AM
    Not according to the fcc filing. It shows two cellular paths, one for cdma, the other for lte.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    10-20-2014 09:55 AM
    Correct.

Sent from my SGNote 3
    Thanks. I thought I remembered that there were two versions but it might have been some other phone.

10-20-2014 09:56 AM
    Thanks. I thought I remembered that there were two versions but it might have been some other phone.

It was the S4. I've got the non Spark version that just got retired but my dispatcher at work literally just got the S4 and it has Spark.
    10-21-2014 03:16 AM
    Not true. Sprint Note 3 had that capability.

Posted via the Android Central App using my Galaxy Note 4 from Sprint
    10-21-2014 04:36 AM
    Not true. Sprint Note 3 had that capability.

Posted via the Android Central App using my Galaxy Note 4 from Sprint
    Not the Spark enabled Note 3 that was released later. The first Note 3 release did support it.
    10-21-2014 01:57 PM
    I had a Note 3 which was not spark enabled and I was able to do SVD. I am absolutely disgusted that I don't have this ability on the Note 4. It's a feature I used heavily. Anyone want to buy a gently used Note 4? Sheesh.... Can't believe this and the rep told me I would be able to use both.
    12-03-2014 12:47 AM
31 12