Sprint Note 4 Simultaneous voice & data

sfrsteel

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else experiencing this? Researching the topic leads to Deficiencies with Spark... but isn't this a step in reverse ?

Posted via the Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It is a spark issue. Sprint needs VoLTE otherwise you won't get voice and data at the same time... Unless on wifi.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
The Note 3 had the same problem. It worked on the note 2 which used the Exynos chipset.

Posted via the Android Central App

deparson

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
The inability for Spark devices to use voice and data at the same time is a 'feature' of the new 'service' that Sprint has introduced. I was shocked they would take such a huge step back but they did.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The inability for Spark devices to use voice and data at the same time is a 'feature' of the new 'service' that Sprint has introduced. I was shocked they would take such a huge step back but they did.

Before Sprint would toss two radios in their phones so you could use one radio for voice.. The next for data. This is how older CDMA technology works (it can only handle 1 operation at a time whereas GSM can handle both with 1 radio). Since Spark is now out they decided to go back to 1 radio.. So therefor you only get voice or data... Not both.. Unless on wifi).. Or on VoLTE since your phone could use LTE for the call and data at the same time.

Not sure why Sprint decided to do that now.. But they did.. Even though I don't see them launching VoLTE for awhile.

soup

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I was listening to Leo Laporte today, and this question came up. Supposedly the Verizon Note 4 will have the same problem.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I was listening to Leo Laporte today, and this question came up. Supposedly the Verizon Note 4 will have the same problem.

Usually it doesn't. Verizon still puts the dual radio in so they don't have this issue. They've done it with all their previous phones and never moved away from it like Sprint.

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
As far as i know VzW has retained the two radio approach. I am a little surprised at the Sprint decision although it is reminiscent of similar Sprint decisions from the past. Not saying they don't know what they are doing necessarily but that is very much like the Sprint I know.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
As far as i know VzW has retained the two radio approach. I am a little surprised at the Sprint decision although it is reminiscent of similar Sprint decisions from the past. Not saying they don't know what they are doing necessarily but that is very much like the Sprint I know.
They are absolute morons. I love Sprint. Been with them for 13 years now but the deduction of simultaneous voice and data is just flat out crazy.

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
They are not the sharpest tool in the shed...no question. Having been a telecom industry professional for a number of years before retirement, we were regularly left wondering about some of their business decisions until we finally saw a pattern we recognized. From then on we would just shake our heads and continue on.

I am not sure they could have survived themselves without the influence of talent brought in by the Nextel acquisition. Nextel was an entirely different company that had an entirely different business focus and technology base. But they were just flat out more talented than most of the folks Sprint had at the time....at least IMO.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
They are absolute morons. I love Sprint. Been with them for 13 years now but the deduction of simultaneous voice and data is just flat out crazy.

I would have to agree it's pretty crazy. Not sure why they took this approach since it just hurts customers... Now if they had VoLTE launching in a month or two I could see the reason then but.. I haven't heard Sprint VoLTE talks at all so.. :(.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
False.

I have a Sprint Note 3. I can do data and voice.

Sent from my SGNote 3

IIRC,There are two versions.the Sprint note 3 as first released isn't spark capable and can do simultaneous voice and data. Later Sprint released a version with spark but can't do simultaneous voice and data

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus

ubigred

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
IIRC,There are two versions.the Sprint note 3 as first released isn't spark capable and can do simultaneous voice and data. Later Sprint released a version with spark but can't do simultaneous voice and data

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus
Once again, false information.

Sent from my SGNote 3

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Not according to the fcc filing. It shows two cellular paths, one for cdma, the other for lte.

temy5ezu.jpg

gu8amevu.jpg

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7