Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Already scratched the metal...

maj71303

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I guess I'm in a different league as I rough house my phone and don't treat it gentle like. Still no damage on mine, so I guess the rule of the day is the more you baby these disposable items the more crap happens to them.

illregal

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
The frame is scratching so easily, because it's not metal. The entire frame is painted plastic. This is easily evidenced by taking the pen out, and simply looking at the frame. There's no metal.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
The frame is scratching so easily, because it's not metal. The entire frame is painted plastic. This is easily evidenced by taking the pen out, and simply looking at the frame. There's no metal.

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. I've never known Plastic to get ice cold when i'm outside on a cold day.

illregal

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
HAHAHAHA, thats funny that you think your plastic is metal.. Seriously guys, this isn't rocket science. And you'll notice, samsung is very careful to not mention that it has a metal frame. Just all the tech sites that copy and paste each other have led you all on. Compare your phone, to a galaxy alpha. You'll see the alpha has a plastic insert for the charging port.. Etc. That you don't see on the Note. Hell, even the plastic antenna lines, dont even go through the entire faux metal frame.. Or you'd see the seam beneath the colored paint going around the edge. What they really are is the plastic that the entire frame is made of, not covered with any paint. Look at the pic below.. You all got played.
oL8Q1SK.jpg

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
HAHAHAHA, thats funny that you think your plastic is metal.. Seriously guys, this isn't rocket science. And you'll notice, samsung is very careful to not mention that it has a metal frame. Just all the tech sites that copy and paste each other have led you all on. Compare your phone, to a galaxy alpha. You'll see the alpha has a plastic insert for the charging port.. Etc. That you don't see on the Note. Hell, even the plastic antenna lines, dont even go through the entire faux metal frame.. Or you'd see the seam beneath the colored paint going around the edge. What they really are is the plastic that the entire frame is made of, not covered with any paint. Look at the pic below.. You all got played.
View attachment 143959

Samsung calls it metal? It isn't the review sites ...

Samsung GALAXY Note4 - Design

Attachments

• metal.png
    metal.png
    645.7 KB · Views: 88

illregal

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
Some of their other marketing materials they mention metal look..(carefully side stepping their words) I hadn't seen it actually referenced anywhere from them. But you're right then, even samsung is being very dishonest then here. But again, look at the picture.. You can see the seam in the plastic. That whole section should be metal, there simply isn't any.

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
The Samsung material does not say "metal look". It says "metal frame". So people should get off the "you've been played" kick. If you don't think there are ways to attach a thin metal frame that would make your photo meaningless...think again.

None I repeat none of the current generation of phone or phablets have been designed to withstand cosmetic damage. They have not. It really does not matter if the part is metal or plastic. Is the iPhone6 and its all alo housing helping it withstand bending even to the degree that the N4 will....apparently not!

IMO, if you go naked you will expose these devices to more cosmetic damage than if you get a good case for them and you will surely expose them to more functional damage without a case. However it is your phone..do as you please.

This does bring up a question I have asked a couple times in the screen protector thread without response as yet.

The instructions from Cryatalusion for their Liquid Glass product is to cover the entire device minding port openings and things of that sort. However the reason I am sure any mention of the Liquid Glass product is in the screen protector thread is because in the main people are looking for a means to protect the N4 screen without applying a tempered glass, dedicated screen protector or a film protector of some sort.

So far nobody has responded to my question regarding covering the entire device with the material. Has anybody as yet covered the entire N4 with the Liquid Glass Material? If so, how did you handle things like the home button interface? Did you just go over the entire area...avoid it? How about other physical buttons? Finally, how was the result? Does it appear that you are getting more protection for the glass and the other surface materials from the Liquid Glass Product?

My sense of it is that LIquid Glass users are also using cases for the most part. Any apparent scratches to housing components after application to the entire device? Maybe heeding the Crystalusion instruction to cover the entire device has merit. I just don't know if anybody has done it yet.

As for whatever you find about the mechanical/physical design of an N4 in any of these "professional reviews" is not worth the keyboard taps needed to write them. What do any of these clowns know about what goes on inside the mind of a designer...nothing that's what nothing. What do any of them know about the design criteria set by the designer's boss...nothing. What do they know about what it would take to make these devices either physically, cosmetically or functionally immune to damage? ....again nothing. How it works and how they like how it works is all they are qualified to tell us. That's it.

Last edited:

FBA

Banned
Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
You should really do more research before you post inaccurate statements...

Bluemiles23

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
View attachment 143959

This is exactly what happened to my phone!

Posted via the Android Central App

illregal

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
You should really do more research before you post inaccurate statements...

Proof is in the pics man.. There's really no research needed. Does the Note 4 have a metal internal frame that can't be seen by the end user?? maybe. Does the note 4 have any external metal surfaces?? NOPE.

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Does it matter to the practical realities of cosmetic damage or preventing cosmetic damage.....nope

What you should plainly see in Samsung's promo material is that they make no claims regarding any additional nor even any structural integrity benefit from the frame...none....napa...zippo. Nor does any other phone manufacturer unless he specifically points to a known military or mechanical or physical standard or test regimen.

Last edited:

Alexander Burnside

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
If you look closer, you can see that the plastic area inside of the s-pen holster is plastic and comes out a bit and is met by the "metal" trim. What you are calling the area where the "metallic paint" ends, actually looks identical to the spots on the top and bottom of the phone trim that are broken up by plastic, probably to prevent excessive warping. If you take off the back of the phone, it's obvious that it's not structural in any way, regardless. Whether it's a thin metal strip or metallic paint is irrelevant as far as quality and durability goes. For the record, it looks and feels like a thin metal strip.

I'm not going to take a hammer to my new phone to prove who's hypothesis is correct, but I take issue where you claim your photo is irrefutable proof that there is no external metal.

clatus

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
Proof is in the pics man.. There's really no research needed. Does the Note 4 have a metal internal frame that can't be seen by the end user?? maybe. Does the note 4 have any external metal surfaces?? NOPE.

Who cares. What is peoples obsession with metal in phones? It's kind of strange.

dustout

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Though it looks like painted metal when you look in the pen hole, if you look closer it appears they may have formed the plastic directly against the metal. If you shine a flashlight from certain angles you can see the metal raised against the plastic just behind it. Also if you touch the metal in a cold room you can certainly feel hold cold it feels due to metal's higher specific heat (it transfers thermal energy much faster than plastic can). It looks like Samsung directly molded / bonded molten plastic to the metal "frame" around the edge.

I think the obsession with the metal is the feel. When you hold the phone with the metal it feels solid and high quality whereas the plastic feel is associated with a cheaper sensation and lower quality. Now plastic these days can be made to feel quite nice, especially the harder formulations, and additions of nice textures like those used on the back of the Note. Metal though still feels more solid and premium in comparison to most people.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Some of their other marketing materials they mention metal look..(carefully side stepping their words) I hadn't seen it actually referenced anywhere from them. But you're right then, even samsung is being very dishonest then here. But again, look at the picture.. You can see the seam in the plastic. That whole section should be metal, there simply isn't any.

I think you got played. You take one look at one small piece of the phone and ignore the rest of the 99% of the frame that clearly is metal. Painted plastic CANNOT feel the way this metal feels. No one said the entire device is one solid slab of metal. You don't think someone can make a flush joint between two different materials?

biggunspaul

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site

Fair play mate,them drugs you are on must be some top quality gear lol

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm assuming everyone here knows plastic can be melted or cut. If you wanted to run a metal strip into plastic, it would be so easy to do where it would appear as though the metal was coming out of the plastic itself. If you looked at it from the correct side, you'd think the whole thing was plastic. If you look from the other side (in this case it's hidden) you'd see the metal. I'm not saying that's what they did here, but what I am saying is that one angle does not tell the whole story, I instead will go with the feel and my eyes. I know metal when I see/feel it and I will go off of that before I trust one view. Ever hear of optical illusion? Sometimes what you see does not tell the whole story.

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Yea the metal on bottom of mine has few scratches but really don't care.. If it was not for this thread I would have never noticed and I don't think anyone I know will be holding my phone up to there eyeballs and find them.

GALAXY NOTE 4, GO BIG OR GO HOME

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac