Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Already scratched the metal...

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm assuming everyone here knows plastic can be melted or cut. If you wanted to run a metal strip into plastic, it would be so easy to do where it would appear as though the metal was coming out of the plastic itself. If you looked at it from the correct side, you'd think the whole thing was plastic. If you look from the other side (in this case it's hidden) you'd see the metal. I'm not saying that's what they did here, but what I am saying is that one angle does not tell the whole story, I instead will go with the feel and my eyes. I know metal when I see/feel it and I will go off of that before I trust one view. Ever hear of optical illusion? Sometimes what you see does not tell the whole story.

Feel alone can tell its metal. Just compare it to the note 3 and note 4

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

er70s2

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I think the reason you can see plastic in the s pen hole, usb port, and mic holes is because there is plastic in those immediate locations. Look at the screen shot I just took of the gold edition Note 4. It also has plastic in those locations.
gold.JPG

The shiny, metallic pieces on the regular Note 4 frame are indeed metal. I now this because I just tested them for continuity with a multimeter. What's strange, though, is that there is not continuity across the gray plastic squares on the frame, meaning the frame is made up of several different pieces. It is not one piece of solid metal machined into the frame. I removed my back cover and scraped away a little of the black paint and found some metal (see pic below). There is continuity from this point to the metallic side strip. I am really interested to know how thick the metal is, though. As far as I know, nobody has taken one apart. If anyone wants to donate a trashed Note 4, I will make some very clean cuts through the frame with a milling machine and post the results.

20141029_172522.jpg

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
metal.png

I looked closely at mine and you can easily see from the shot someone else posted, right where the metal begins. It looks like they inserted a plastic sheath to house the S pen and then began the metal where the sheath ended. Quite clear to someone who is actually wanting to see it.

InfinitiFX35

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I had scratches on the metal as seen on here, and buffed them out in less than 10 seconds using Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish. Everyone can quit worrying...

GalaxyOnyxWitch

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I know I didn't scratch it....

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

I calla BS on this one my friend. I have slight scratches on the shiny part on the bottom of my phone and I can tell you it is likely from fumbling with my charger in the dark. If you OPENED the box and noticed scratches as soon as you opened it, I would be inclined to believe you, but regardless, something happened and you scratched it.

These posts remind me of Erik The Viking and the sinking of Atlantis. "No we're not sinking" Tra la la la!

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I calla BS on this one my friend. I have slight scratches on the shiny part on the bottom of my phone and I can tell you it is likely from fumbling with my charger in the dark. If you OPENED the box and noticed scratches as soon as you opened it, I would be inclined to believe you, but regardless, something happened and you scratched it.

These posts remind me of Erik The Viking and the sinking of Atlantis. "No we're not sinking" Tra la la la!
My replacement ALSO was scratched right out of the box..... Don't call my valid complaint BS because it isn't! I DONT fumble with chargers and baby my device so don't tell me how I treat my phone because I guarantee I DIDN'T SCRATCH IT

It is also scratched in the SAME AREA

GalaxyOnyxWitch

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
My replacement ALSO was scratched right out of the box..... Don't call my valid complaint BS because it isn't! I DONT fumble with chargers and baby my device so don't tell me how I treat my phone because I guarantee I DIDN'T SCRATCH IT

It is also scratched in the SAME AREA

Poor muffin! Tech God hates you!

Maclamond1979

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I've had a Note 4 from launch day. Unfortunately I scratched the metal, hit it on the door, before my case arrived.

But there's an easy way to fix it! Have no fear!

Where ever the scratch is, as long as it's not too bad, take a soft piece of tissue. Not paper towel! Don't use paper towels! Use toilet paper or tissue. Get 1 or 2 tissues and start collecting your crybaby tears. When the tissue is wet enough just buff the scratch out.

It shouldn't be a hassle, tissue paper is fairly cheap, and you definitely have an abundance of crybaby tears. You might wanna think long term though...you could start a business repairing Note 4s!

Posted via the Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Just checking in on this thread -- Still no scratches for me on mine and been naked since day 1 :).

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
If my first AND second device came out of the box with scratches...I'd be giving the carrier a good thrashing.

From my smokin' hot Note 4

mmichii

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't really know how much of a scratch you are talking about. The aluminum is very prone to scratching. I baby my phone in an extremely ocd way. It is always wrapped in a fresh detailing grade microfiber cloth. I usually hold my phone with the cloth when not in public. However my phone has tiny microscratches in the finish. Not easily seen but under fluorescent light used for my other hobby detailing you can see the kind of scratches you would normally try to buff out when detailing a vehicle. Now, I can see these scratches because i've grown to instinctively look for these defects but nothing you would see under casual observation. Now. I've read the spigen uc cases can cause quite a bit of damage to the edge. The bottom line is that the metal is soft and prone to scratching and that the plastic chrome in many ways is more durable in terms of its finish. I stressed over this for a few days and i've come to the conclusion to just enjoy the phone because under jump v1 i'm really just renting this thing until the next jump anyways. on a side note yes t-mobile is a nightmare.

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Mine ended up getting scratched...with a knife. I was trying to dislodge a large piece of dust. I'm not sure how it got there with my case covering the "gap". It's re-covered so it's not that big of a deal.

via Note 4 on Verizon Wireless

crazed_z06

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
These things are going to scratch, guys.

Go look at a used iphone5 that didnt have a case on it. There will be all kinds of wear on the edges. This is the price you pay for "premium"

tl1229

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
every post I see has 'scratches' in the the same area. Its not coincidnetal. These are machined edges so it can't be a mistake in the mold. the 'scratch run along both sides of the shiny edges. They are in a straight line. If you follow them thru middle white (or black - depending color of the phone. you'll see a very thin 'patch Alomost rectangular in shape. I believe this is some kind of tape. The problm is that its on so darn tight ti can't get it off without 'scratching' it!!!

Does anyone else see whatI'm talking about? Its so subtle and I cant seem to get a good image of it.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
every post I see has 'scratches' in the the same area. Its not coincidnetal. These are machined edges so it can't be a mistake in the mold. the 'scratch run along both sides of the shiny edges. They are in a straight line. If you follow them thru middle white (or black - depending color of the phone. you'll see a very thin 'patch Alomost rectangular in shape. I believe this is some kind of tape. The problm is that its on so darn tight ti can't get it off without 'scratching' it!!!

Does anyone else see whatI'm talking about? Its so subtle and I cant seem to get a good image of it.

Are you talking about the antenna?

eao1991

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
These things are going to scratch, guys.

Go look at a used iphone5 that didnt have a case on it. There will be all kinds of wear on the edges. This is the price you pay for "premium"

Even my old iPhone 5 that had a case on it still got scratches from debris that got between the case and the phone. Somehow I managed to keep my 5s pristine. Probably cause I never took that sucker out of its waterproof case :D This is just what happens with devices with metal builds.

anon(607340)

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I can't believe everyone gives the OP such a hard time.

The Note 4 is a scratch-magnet. Even the metal around the home button is already scratched, and I'm OCD with my phones. I have the Note 3, still mint condition, but the Note 4 after two weeks? Scratch city. Dedicated pocket, micro-fiber cloth, no drops, doesn't matter. It's not from silica (like sand) either because it's not deep enough scratches to be from that.

Bottom line is, they used the cheapest aluminum I've ever seen on a phone - let alone an $800 phone.. I'm jumping to the Nexus 6 based on this alone.. in 12 months the Note 4 will look like it was in a war.. sad because I love the phone itself, but I can't stand something that scratches for no reason when I paid that much money. I was considering maybe trying the Edge but I bet they used the same crappy aluminum on that too.

Oh and the home button? Use fingerprint unlock for two weeks, I promise you will see a TON of micro-scratches on it. Don't know what material they used for that but it's not Gorilla Glass I can promise you that!

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I can't believe everyone gives the OP such a hard time.

The Note 4 is a scratch-magnet. Even the metal around the home button is already scratched, and I'm OCD with my phones. I have the Note 3, still mint condition, but the Note 4 after two weeks? Scratch city. Dedicated pocket, micro-fiber cloth, no drops, doesn't matter. It's not from silica (like sand) either because it's not deep enough scratches to be from that.

Bottom line is, they used the cheapest aluminum I've ever seen on a phone - let alone an $800 phone.. I'm jumping to the Nexus 6 based on this alone.. in 12 months the Note 4 will look like it was in a war.. sad because I love the phone itself, but I can't stand something that scratches for no reason when I paid that much money. I was considering maybe trying the Edge but I bet they used the same crappy aluminum on that too.

Oh and the home button? Use fingerprint unlock for two weeks, I promise you will see a TON of micro-scratches on it. Don't know what material they used for that but it's not Gorilla Glass I can promise you that!

Yeah I've returned my note 4 but that's because I want to move carriers and if I didn't need a phone now I would wait out for a nexus 6 but I'll just get a moto x or the new droid turbo on Verizon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams