12-26-2014 03:49 AM
1,681 ... 34567 ...
tools
    Yes, you're paying less money monthly but I don't see it as a better deal cause you have to pay more in order to edge up. So either you wait for 18 months (not gonna happen for me) or you edge up early but still have to pay whatever you still have outstanding in order to reach the 75%. I'm not happy! But luckily, I pre-ordered the N4 and signed the Edge agreement before this new Edge plan came into effect. I don't have to worry about it until I want to edge up to the Note 5 next yr
    I went the BB route (my trade in was only valued at $8 at VZ and BB was giving me and extra $50 gift card). So no agreement yet for me
    10-16-2014 10:40 AM
    Wonder how they will roll this out? I was on the original edge plan where I had to pay off 50%. But when I went to Edge Up,I was told I had to do 60%. I didn't really argue due to my specific case, but it still made me kinda mad.

Posted via Android Central App
    If you're still under the 60% agreement, you don't have to worry about it until you sign another Edge agreement.
    10-16-2014 10:40 AM
    Wonder how they will roll this out? I was on the original edge plan where I had to pay off 50%. But when I went to Edge Up,I was told I had to do 60%. I didn't really argue due to my specific case, but it still made me kinda mad.

I would have been furious if it would have affected your situation. You entered an agreement, can't change it middle of the agreement because it benefits them. I doubt they could have won that one if you fought hard enough.
    10-16-2014 10:41 AM
    $52 tax in California? Damn.

I paid $65 in sales tax but I the phones full price on t-mobile is $749.99

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
    If you already pre-ordered the phone it would be under the old plan wouldn't it?

I did BB, no agreement yet.....
    From Verizon Edge FAQ:

Note to customers with Edge Agreements signed between 6/1/14 and 10/15/14: You’ll keep your 20-month Edge Agreement, and you’ll have the option to Edge Up to a new device after paying 60% of the original device and returning the original device to us in good working condition.
    Well, that's good news I guess, but still a very head scratching decision by them.
    10-16-2014 10:42 AM
    I did BB, no agreement yet.....
    Ah. I wish bestbuy sold t-mobile devices lol

10-16-2014 10:44 AM
    We were talking about this in another thread as well. If you keep the device the full two years its a decent deal. But if you upgrade early like it sounds like most of us do it is not a good deal for anyone but Verizon. By now having you pay off 75% of the phone before you can trade it in Verizon is banking on a lot of people trading up in a yea, paying more for the device and then they get a newer device they can sell of use for refurbs at more of a profit for them. I get it that they are a business and are in it to make money but they just changed from 50 to 60% a few months ago and now they are changing it again.

Im willing to bet it has everything to do with the new iphones and other devices they can make more money on when people want to change. Look at it. The 128gb version of the iphone 6 plus is 949.00. of course they are going to want you to pay more of it off before you can trade it in.

What Verizon should do is offer a percentage based on the total cost of the device. Not even sure how that would work though. Well enough on this. I got in just before the change and currently wait for my Note 4.
    Honey_184 and CrudeOne like this.
    10-16-2014 10:49 AM
    But AT&T still allows you to upgrade after 12 months. You can also do 18 but I like the 12 month option.
    Yeah I forgot about the 12 month option with AT&T. That's why I liked the Edge, since you didn;t have to wait 12 months to upgrade. As at&t had no option to upgrade before 12 months. So AT&T is now in play again since 12 month is better than 18. Still t-mobile has unlocked boot-loaders while at&t and Verizon do not. Then again AT&T has the better network.
    reesh11 likes this.
    10-16-2014 11:19 AM
    Yeah I forgot about the 12 month option with AT&T. That's why I liked the Edge, since you didn;t have to wait 12 months to upgrade. As at&t had no option to upgrade before 12 months. So AT&T is now in play again since 12 month is better than 18. Still t-mobile has unlocked boot-loaders while at&t and Verizon do not. Then again AT&T has the better network.
    Which is why I'm looking for my Prozac.
    Too many, 'sorry for my language' "effing" options.
    10-16-2014 11:31 AM
    I think you'll be good to go to be honest. It just depends on the store and how much inventory they receive. Head in there pretty early just to make sure you get one. I have a corporate service center store right by my house, and they always have everything. I remember trying to get a release day moto x by my work and they had none, but swing in the store at home and they had a bunch
    Cool man! That's what I've traditionally done.....go to breakfast around 6am then be at the store waiting for them to open @ 9am so I can be first in line and out the door with my GN4! I'm buying off contract at full retail as well so hopefully that goes smoothly.
    10-16-2014 11:39 AM
    I posted this on the other thread, but it seems more relevant here. If you want to continue a strategy of upgrading each year, you should be no worse off on this plan if my logic is correct. Please correct me if I am wrong:

Here are the variables: Let's assume a Note phone always costs $700 on Day 1 and has a residual value of $300 at the end of the first year.

Given VZW's current pricing, I will have paid off 60% of the phone by the end of the first year ($420). If I want to "buy out" of my EDGE contract, I pay Verizon $280. I then sell the phone for $300. I sign a new EDGE contract, and repeat this process each year. Total cost to me for "renting" the phone for the year is $700-$300=$400.

Under VZW's new plan, I will have paid 50% of the phone by the end of the first year ($350). If I want to "buy out" of my EDGE contract, I pay Verizon $350. I then sell the phone online for $300. I sign a new EDGE contract, and repeat this process each year. Total cost to me for "renting" the phone for the year is $700-$300=$400.

So, essentially, if you adopt this strategy, the two plans are equivalent. In fact, given a concept known as "time value of money" (i.e., a dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow), you are theoretically better off under VZW's new strategy. You save $70 over the course of the year ($420 - $350). Although you have to pay that eventually, you can take that $70 and invest for the year (theoretically).
    Honey_184 and Rmedy21 like this.
    10-16-2014 01:02 PM
    Boy, that is some heavy intro to finance type of stuff right there! But seems legit the way you explain it.
    thatdarnpunk likes this.
    10-16-2014 01:04 PM
    I posted this on the other thread, but it seems more relevant here. If you want to continue a strategy of upgrading each year, you should be no worse off on this plan if my logic is correct. Please correct me if I am wrong:

Here are the variables: Let's assume a Note phone always costs $700 on Day 1 and has a residual value of $300 at the end of the first year.

Given VZW's current pricing, I will have paid off 60% of the phone by the end of the first year ($420). If I want to "buy out" of my EDGE contract, I pay Verizon $280. I then sell the phone for $300. I sign a new EDGE contract, and repeat this process each year. Total cost to me for "renting" the phone for the year is $700-$300=$400.

Under VZW's new plan, I will have paid 50% of the phone by the end of the first year ($350). If I want to "buy out" of my EDGE contract, I pay Verizon $350. I then sell the phone online for $300. I sign a new EDGE contract, and repeat this process each year. Total cost to me for "renting" the phone for the year is $700-$300=$400.

So, essentially, if you adopt this strategy, the two plans are equivalent. In fact, given a concept known as "time value of money" (i.e., a dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow), you are theoretically better off under VZW's new strategy. You save $70 over the course of the year ($420 - $350). Although you have to pay that eventually, you can take that $70 and invest for the year (theoretically).
    Wow! You've given me something to think about! The only thing for me is that with it being at 60% I wasn't planning on paying off the phone. I planned to return and get the "new new," but with it being at set at 75% now, I just can't justify paying off that much to return and upgrade. I would feel forced to pay off the remaining amount to own it outright and resell
    brucedbr likes this.
    10-16-2014 01:15 PM
    Agreed. One can argue that their is one new transaction cost: our time and effort. Which is unfortunate. But, given that we are all phone nerds hanging out on this board, it's probably worth it
    Honey_184 likes this.
    10-16-2014 01:22 PM
    My plan all along was to get it on Edge and make some larger payments to get it paid off a lot quicker, so the 12 vs. 18 month thing is of no consequence to me. Verizon is simply hoping people will make the minimum payments and they have you on the string longer.
    10-16-2014 01:32 PM
    Agreed. One can argue that their is one new transaction cost: our time and effort. Which is unfortunate. But, given that we are all phone nerds hanging out on this board, it's probably worth it
    True indeed on both counts! I've been a phone nerd since I got my hands on the 1st android phone, the Tmobile G1 lol
    10-16-2014 01:41 PM
    My plan all along was to get it on Edge and make some larger payments to get it paid off a lot quicker, so the 12 vs. 18 month thing is of no consequence to me. Verizon is simply hoping people will make the minimum payments and they have you on the string longer.
    The only thing about VZW is that they don't allow you to pay alittle more each month, they expect either a down payment OR you can pay off the full remaining balance. At least that's what I was told by multiple CS agents. But nothing is stopping you from putting $ to the side each month and paying it off when you're ready to upgrade.
    thatdarnpunk likes this.
    10-16-2014 01:44 PM
    And, this is also a really dumb move by VZW. Why wouldn't they want your little bit of extra money now? If we have discipline, we can save it in a low interest bearing account and make a few dollars off of it. I guess they are counting on us being bad savers.
    Honey_184 likes this.
    10-16-2014 01:49 PM
    And, this is also a really dumb move by VZW. Why wouldn't they want your little bit of extra money now? If we have discipline, we can save it in a low interest bearing account and make a few dollars off of it. I guess they are counting on us being bad savers.
    Agreed! They're counting on us spending it, not paying off the phone and putting more $$ in their pockets by returning the phone and allowing them to sell it as a certified used device
    10-16-2014 01:52 PM
    You can't make larger payments. You can only do a one time down payment when you initially sign up for Edge
    10-16-2014 01:52 PM
    If you're on a 10GB plan, you can put down $100 as your down payment at time of purchase and it'll bring your monthly cost down to $25. So with the $25 discount you essentially payed only $100 for the phone and can upgrade in 18 months versus $299 + $30 upgrade fee to upgrade in 24 months again.

It still works out on the lower price plans with the $15 discount. You out $100 down and essentially pay an extra $10 a month. After 18 months you have now paid $280 for $330.

I actually am starting to like the new EDGE pricing. Cost wise, it's so much better than buying most phones on a two year agreement. But it also defeats the main purpose of EDGE initially, which was to get a new phone a whole lot more frequent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    thatdarnpunk likes this.
    10-16-2014 01:53 PM
    The only thing about VZW is that they don't allow you to pay alittle more each month, they expect either a down payment OR you can pay off the full remaining balance. At least that's what I was told by multiple CS agents. But nothing is stopping you from putting $ to the side each month and paying it off when you're ready to upgrade.
    And I have had several tell me I could. Left hand does not know what right hand is doing.
    10-16-2014 01:54 PM
    If you're on a 10GB plan, you can put down $100 as your down payment at time of purchase and it'll bring your monthly cost down to $25. So with the $25 discount you essentially payed only $100 for the phone and can upgrade in 18 months versus $299 + $30 upgrade fee to upgrade in 24 months again.

It still works out on the lower price plans with the $15 discount. You out $100 down and essentially pay an extra $10 a month. After 18 months you have now paid $280 for $330.

I actually am starting to like the new EDGE pricing. Cost wise, it's so much better than buying most phones on a two year agreement. But it also defeats the main purpose of EDGE initially, which was to get a new phone a whole lot more frequent.

When I asked Verizon if I could make a voluntary down payment, they said absolutely not. Go figure.
    10-16-2014 01:55 PM
    You should be able to. It's kind of like a lease.

Granted, at the end of it all you'd still be paying the same down payment or not, but I recommend the $100 down on a phone like this to try and keep your bill(10GB+ Plan) the same.

10-16-2014 02:00 PM
1,681 ... 34567 ...