note 4 screen in sunlight

skippyg

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Its max brightness is different than my old note3. Dont really like it. Blows the colors contrast up to where its not all that pleasing. My note 3 didnt do it. It only bumped up brightness.

Posted via the Android Central App

gdhampton7

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Not talking about brightness.. the screen itself... Has a purpleish tint to it in direct sunlight. Almost like those glasses that self tint in sunlight. Just making sure I'm not the one needing glasses and not the only one who see it

Posted via Galaxy Note 4

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Not talking about brightness.. the screen itself... Has a purpleish tint to it in direct sunlight. Almost like those glasses that self tint in sunlight. Just making sure I'm not the one needing glasses and not the only one who see it

I've noticed it too. It's at some angles (not really quite direct in the Sun, I've found, but still normal screen view angle). You can really see it as any shadow, like your thumb moving over the screen, creates a clear/white vs purplish contrast with the rest of the screen. Odd. Still usable (the screen in bright enough to overcome it), but not good.

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
LMAO, I thought I had a defective screen when I saw how the screen just lightened up like that. I liked it but didn't know if it was suppose to do that. Glad I know now........

sandyb

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Wow..I returned my first phone (note4) I thought it had a bad screen. When in direct sunlight my screen would turn pink and it almost looked like liquid under the display. When a shadow moved across it really looked weird. I looked online at several forums on the note and did not see anything about display in sunlight.
If this is normal I think it sucks!! And feel foolish for returning my original I really thought my unit was defective. .oh well..

Posted via the Android Central App

Phantasmal Images

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site

Posted via Galaxy Note 4

That's the Adaptive Display screen mode (which is the default setting). You can change this under Settings>Display>Screen Mode. Other options are Basic, AMOLED Cinema, and AMOLED Photo. Basic sets it to standard sRGB color gamut, while AMOLED Photo changes it to AdobeRGB (which is significantly larger than sRGB).

Adaptive Display is essentially changing the white balance setting of the screen based on ambient color temperature.

Being a photographer, the screen was the primary reason I chose the Note 4. The Note 4 screen can display a very impressive over 90% of Adobe RGB color space (138% of sRGB/Rec.709 Gamut). The iPhone 6plus in comparison is an underwhelming 63% of sRGB, which is similar to other high end smart phones.

You won't notice much of a difference in the UI or most apps, as they're designed with average display color gamuts in mind. You also won't notice much difference in typical web viewing, as web browsers are limited to sRGB. But you will notice a difference in viewing pictures offline, especially if they were taken in AdobeRGB color space. So for my uses of displaying my portfolio, this phone was a must have. I'm also planning on getting the Samsung Tab S 10.5" for the same reason, no other tablet screen even comes close to it.

Last edited:

Tinmania

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
That's the Adaptive Display screen mode (which is the default setting). You can change this under Settings>Display>Screen Mode. Other options are Basic, AMOLED Cinema, and AMOLED Photo. Basic sets it to standard sRGB color gamut, while AMOLED Photo changes it to AdobeRGB (which is significantly larger than sRGB).

Adaptive Display is essentially changing the white balance setting of the screen based on ambient color temperature.

Being a photographer, the screen was the primary reason I chose the Note 4. The Note 4 screen can display a very impressive over 90% of Adobe RGB color space (138% of sRGB/Rec.709 Gamut). The iPhone 6plus in comparison is an underwhelming 63% of sRGB, which is similar to other high end smart phones.

You won't notice much of a difference in the UI or most apps, as they're designed with average display color gamuts in mind. You also won't notice much difference in typical web viewing, as web browsers are limited to sRGB. But you will notice a difference in viewing pictures offline, especially if they were taken in AdobeRGB color space. So for my uses of displaying my portfolio, this phone was a must have. I'm also planning on getting the Samsung Tab S 10.5" for the same reason, no other tablet screen even comes close to it.
What they are referring to is not related to Adaptive Display mode.

It is the high brightness/contrast mode that only kicks in when ambient lighting is very strong, such as in direct sunlight or close to it, and only when brightness is set to auto. It kicks in no matter what is being displayed on the screen, including the home screen (unlike Adaptive Display mode). It sacrifices color accuracy in order to make the screen as bright as possible with maximum contrast. I like it and it is one of the reasons I got a Note 4. When it kicks in I am usually needing a phone number or something quick where I don't care about the neon-looking color.

More importantly, on the Galaxy Note 4 the Maximum Brightness can go much higher when Automatic Brightness is turned On, so that users can’t permanently park the Manual Brightness slider to very high values, which would run down the battery quickly. High screen Brightness is only needed for High Ambient Light, so turning Automatic Brightness On will provide better high ambient light screen visibility and also longer battery running time.

When Automatic Brightness is turned On, the Galaxy Note 4 reaches an impressive 750 cd/m2 in High Ambient Light, where high Brightness is really needed – it is the brightest mobile display that we have ever tested. As a result of its high Brightness and low Reflectance, the Galaxy Note 4 has a Contrast Rating for High Ambient Light that ranges from 100 to156, the highest that we have ever measured for any mobile display. See the Brightness and Contrast, the High Ambient Light and the Screen Reflections sections for measurements and details.

Galaxy Note 4 and Note Edge OLED Display Technology Shoot-Out

Michael

Phantasmal Images

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
What they are referring to is not related to Adaptive Display mode.

It is the high brightness/contrast mode that only kicks in when ambient lighting is very strong, such as in direct sunlight or close to it, and only when brightness is set to auto. It kicks in no matter what is being displayed on the screen, including the home screen (unlike Adaptive Display mode). It sacrifices color accuracy in order to make the screen as bright as possible with maximum contrast. I like it and it is one of the reasons I got a Note 4. When it kicks in I am usually needing a phone number or something quick where I don't care about the neon-looking color.

Michael

I rarely go out in daylight (I work nights), so I hadn't considered that. It's likely a combination of the Adaptive Display mode and the High Contrast/Brightness modes though, which would explain the shifts in color. It's easy enough for one of you daywalkers to test though, just switch to Basic Display mode, and go outside in sunlight and see how it looks.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I hate it.
I use my phone as a GPS attached to the handlebar on my motorcycle. When in direct sunlight, the map colors suddenly wash out, and I have an almost totally white screen. I can't see the different contrasts of the different roads and trails and my maps become useless. It is suddenly all nearly white. Horrible. The other drawback is that even when plugged into a charger, the display suddenly is pulling more power then my chargers can output. So my phone battery slowly dies, even on charge, when in bright sunlight.
The only way to disable this screen oddness is to turn off auto brightness. But I like auto brightness. I'm playing with a replacement screen brightener now. It needs a setting to disable that oddity.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante