Multi Tasking Still Lagging After Update

wsrobert

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm on Tmobile and received the first OTA firmware update that was supposed to better battery life (which I think it has, even if marginally) and improve the lag people are experiencing when actioning the multi tasking button.

It certainly hasn't fixed that lag. Coming from a OnePlus, Nexus 5 and HTC One M8 - all of which are lightning fast when actioning the multi tasking button - this is quite painful. There's a clear delay immediately after pressing the multi tasking button and then another clear delay when selecting an app from the window. I've tried different launchers and decreasing the animation on the system level. But no dice. Its very annoying.

Anyone else seeing the same? More specifically, anyone coming from one of the devices mentioned above that is seeing the same? I imagine this might be something that users of various Samsung devices might be used to. Opening apps and moving throughout the rest of the OS is super fast. Its anything that originates from the multi tasking button thats painfully slow.

ETA: Also, I find that if I'm launching the multi tasking menu from a "cold start" its significantly worse than if I'm immediately switching between apps. More specifically - if I unlock my phone, open an app and then attempt to launch the multi tasking window, thats when its the worst. But then from there switching between apps isnt as bad.

wsrobert

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Already did that. And now have animations at 0.

I think I understand the complaints against Samsung and TW now (which I havent used since the GSII). Consumers, your average consumer, wont know how to do that. Nor care too. They'll just know their phones "slow". "Why does it take so long for that to come up after I press this button?" Thats note an experience had on iOS or Nexus devices. But its damn annoying. I'm loving everything about this N4. Apart from that very persistent lag when actioning the multi tasking button. I'm wondering if it has to do with the addition of the active applications feature within the multi tasking window. I dunno. But damnit just fix it and I'd literally not have a single complaint about the device!

pantlesspenguin

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
Already did that. And now have animations at 0.

I think I understand the complaints against Samsung and TW now (which I havent used since the GSII). Consumers, your average consumer, wont know how to do that. Nor care too. They'll just know their phones "slow". "Why does it take so long for that to come up after I press this button?" Thats note an experience had on iOS or Nexus devices. But its damn annoying. I'm loving everything about this N4. Apart from that very persistent lag when actioning the multi tasking button. I'm wondering if it has to do with the addition of the active applications feature within the multi tasking window. I dunno. But damnit just fix it and I'd literally not have a single complaint about the device!

TBH I do notice the lag coming from an M8, but it doesn't bother me because of all the features I've gained. I'm having GPS issues which will hopefully be resolved once I exchange the phone, and if my new one has flawless GPS than I won't have a complaint about the device, either.

Local_Hero

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
It's annoyingly slow. I'm finding it faster to use the app draw to relaunch an app.

I'm sure it will receive some sort of speed update. How long we have to wait is uncertain.

wsrobert

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Yeah. Well. It already got one. But hasn't seemed to help. Blah.

I want the Note 4 with all the useful features of TW but otherwise running vanilla 5.0.

Actually, can that be done via root? Is there a way to sideload in some of the Spen functionality on a otherwise stock ROM?