is the fast charging feature good for the battery or do you guys have it disabled most of the time?
    ShaunAFC3 likes this.
    10-21-2014 02:26 PM
    I like it but probably kills the battery. I will have this phone for 12 months anyways so I'll get a new one or upgrade by then

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
    Ntchwaidumela, ShaunAFC3 and cinek like this.
    10-21-2014 02:27 PM
    It is fine. By the time the battery dies you will likely be looking for an upgrade... and if not you can always buy a spare .
    10-21-2014 02:32 PM
    It is fine. By the time the battery dies you will likely be looking for an upgrade... and if not you can always buy a spare .
    That is the beauty of a removable battery
    barkleyfan and ShaunAFC3 like this.
    10-21-2014 05:44 PM
    It's not good for the battery but a replacement battery is only $15 from Samsung...
    10-21-2014 05:50 PM
    it used to matter, but I was told newer batteries are okay with faster charging speed.

plus, you can swap into a new battery anyway.

ps, if you don't really use fast charging very often, then there is no point turning it on.
    ShaunAFC3 likes this.
    10-21-2014 05:52 PM
    My laptop from 2 years ago has fast charging. Battery is still superb and I use the laptop everyday. In fact, better than the laptop I had before with no fast charging, which lost its capacity in short time.

I doubt fast charging will have much of an effect compared to the normal expected decay of batteries these days. Probably heat damage (like leaving your phone in hot car baking in the sun) will do a lot more than anything else. Plus as mentioned above, insert new battery and presto chango you have a new phone, almost.
    honey_bee_33 and ShaunAFC3 like this.
    10-21-2014 06:13 PM
    I'm not positive about this but I believe they achieved the faster charge by increasing the volt capacity of the charger itself. As apposed to increasinging the amps. Higher volts usually means lower amps which means cooler power which would be better for the battery. I don't think the new charger will harm the battery. I also think this is why the removed the 3.0 port as that was damaging the battery.

Posted via the Android Central App
    heraldo and ShaunAFC3 like this.
    10-21-2014 06:20 PM
    Just don't charge it overnight, long time being kept on high voltage is not good for battery.

@T-Mobile GN3
    ShaunAFC3 likes this.
    10-21-2014 07:27 PM
    I think there would be warnings if it was bad or dangerous.

Posted via the Android Central App
    TechNut79 and ShaunAFC3 like this.
    10-21-2014 07:39 PM
    Just don't charge it overnight, long time being kept on high voltage is not good for battery.

@T-Mobile GN3
    New chargers have circuitry built into them to regulate charging amperage. It slows down at a certain point, shuts off at full and then starts trickle charging again at something like 98%. This is just an approximate example.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    ShaunAFC3 likes this.
    10-21-2014 07:48 PM
    I don't think Samsung would have added the feature if it be a problem

Posted via My Note 4
    10-21-2014 07:55 PM
    The short answer is, if you need it, use it. Batteries are cheap.

The longer answer is going to be, yes, it may SLIGHTLY reduce the battery life. Anything that heats the battery up will reduce the like. More current will mean more heat, so yea, it will reduce it. But as pointed out, that is the beauty of having a device with a removable battery. Buy a Samsung spare and stop worrying.

For example, I go out of my way to use a slow overnight charger on my phones. It might, or might not, increase the battery life. But often on the weekends I clip my phone to the motorcycle handlebar, plug it into a higher rate charger, and run it as a GPS with the brightness at max. It gets hot, and I know that isn't a good idea. But I don't care, because that is why I bought the thing.
    ShaunAFC3 likes this.
    10-21-2014 08:07 PM
    New chargers have circuitry built into them to regulate charging amperage. It slows down at a certain point, shuts off at full and then starts trickle charging again at something like 98%. This is just an approximate example.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    What you stated doesn't help at all. The battery is being kept at 4.2 volt as long as its near 100% charged.
    ShaunAFC3 likes this.
    10-21-2014 08:17 PM
    The new charger is adaptive. From 0-50 percent the phone will charge at 9v 1.67amps, after 50 percent it charges at 5v 2amps which is lower than the note 3 which charged from 0-100 percent at 5.3v 2amps.
    ShaunAFC3 likes this.
    10-21-2014 08:27 PM