10-12-2015 11:23 AM
88 1234
tools
    Much talk here of dumping Touchwiz for some of the other alternatives. Do you guys know if switching to some of those that have been mentioned in this forum would cut away at the amount of ram used....enough to make it worthwhile?
    Try the CleanRom. You can find it at
    www.scottsroms.com
    It's the original Samsung Image without Verizon bloat and options to have most of the Samsung crap removed before installing.

via AC App on VZW Moto X DE/N7
    11-19-2014 01:44 PM
    So how can I clear more space from my alplications? I stop running apps but it still seems like I could clear more memory. This is what I currently show on my note 4 is this to much? Could I clear more?

Posted via the Android Central App
    Clear more for what????? Unused RAM does you absolutely no good.
    CehowardNote7 likes this.
    11-19-2014 01:53 PM
    "any ram not used is bad ram" this is a poor and overused statement. RAM needs to be managed properly and available... not used up at all times and unavailable. When you can't do a simple task like star an email due to RAM not being available...that's a problem. This is my only issue with android and it almost makes me want to go back to iPhone. I hope lollipop addresses RAM management.
    You are completely misunderstanding how RAM works in Android. If you're having that kind of issue with your email, it isn't the RAM utilization creating the problems. Your device has already loaded the email app in RAM to run its process. It doesn't need more RAM to mark it with a star.

These "oh no, my RAM!" threads are among the most tedious to read on any Android forum. Countless people come into the threads and bleat like sheep about how bad their RAM utilization is, what cleaner app to load, blahblahblahblah.

No matter how many times a guy like Almeuit tries to reassure everyone it isn't an issue, he gets ignored, but the next guy posting a "I use this app and it works great" comment is regarded as the hero. He must have said that at least 5 times in this thread alone.

Its like walking into a doctor's office and the doctor telling you your bloodwork is clean, the X-rays look great, go out and enjoy your life. Instead, you walk outside and find some random homeless guy on the street and ask him if he thinks you're dying of cancer because you found a mole on your arm today.

I'd laugh at these threads if it wasn't for the fact that this myth about RAM has persisted so strongly for so long. Its almost like Snopes should have a section on their site that says "Problems with RAM in Android? FALSE"

PS I'm aware I sound like a grumpy old man beating on a dead horse in a zombie thread. Fire away with your flamethrowers, I have my big boy pants on!
    11-19-2014 03:28 PM
    Right now I'm using 2.46GB out of 2.72 available. Phones running fast. No problems opening or running any apps. Not using any ram clean/wipe programs.
    11-19-2014 03:44 PM
    You are completely misunderstanding how RAM works in Android. If you're having that kind of issue with your email, it isn't the RAM utilization creating the problems. Your device has already loaded the email app in RAM to run its process. It doesn't need more RAM to mark it with a star.

These "oh no, my RAM!" threads are among the most tedious to read on any Android forum. Countless people come into the threads and bleat like sheep about how bad their RAM utilization is, what cleaner app to load, blahblahblahblah.

No matter how many times a guy like Almeuit tries to reassure everyone it isn't an issue, he gets ignored, but the next guy posting a "I use this app and it works great" comment is regarded as the hero. He must have said that at least 5 times in this thread alone.

Its like walking into a doctor's office and the doctor telling you your bloodwork is clean, the X-rays look great, go out and enjoy your life. Instead, you walk outside and find some random homeless guy on the street and ask him if he thinks you're dying of cancer because you found a mole on your arm today.

I'd laugh at these threads if it wasn't for the fact that this myth about RAM has persisted so strongly for so long. Its almost like Snopes should have a section on their site that says "Problems with RAM in Android? FALSE"

PS I'm aware I sound like a grumpy old man beating on a dead horse in a zombie thread. Fire away with your flamethrowers, I have my big boy pants on!
    I agree and you can get with noobs but they can read I think lol

Its the way Android utilises Ram and I get with the frustration as it's been repeated many times but nothing sinks in.

In some ways it's like politics you can show someone clear evidence of corruption but they saw something pushed by corporate media and fiction then overrides facts.

Nothing stranger than folks lol

11-19-2014 03:59 PM
    Whew...glad we got THAT cleared up. Now let's go straighten out all the "Battery Life" people. They all think the equivalent of 'cars are bad' because they either can't drive them at all or they drive them into trees.
    LaTuFu and bassplayrguy like this.
    11-19-2014 04:17 PM
    Has anyone noticed that the Samsung Active Applications menu shows dramatically different usage than the built-in Android Applications -> Running menu? Right now I see 1.5GB used through Android, 2.37GB through the Samsung menu.
    11-19-2014 04:57 PM
    Total guess but the guess is that Android doesn't even "see" a big chunk of the ram at all.

Has anyone noticed that the Samsung Active Applications menu shows dramatically different usage than the built-in Android Applications -> Running menu? Right now I see 1.5GB used through Android, 2.37GB through the Samsung menu.
    11-20-2014 09:21 AM
    For those of you not using something like clean master, are you using something else to clear cached junk files stored on the system, or does that fall in the same bucket as trying to free up RAM? when cleaning the junk files, they do seem to fill back up again pretty quickly so it does seem like it may just be a waste of time to bother with this. Thoughts?
    11-28-2014 07:32 PM
    It's a waste of time. You don't need a cache cleaner.
    11-28-2014 08:50 PM
    i don't think high RAM usage is a good thing at all. it would be good if it was filled with your most used apps, not samsung bloatware. i am considering buying a note 4 but every video i saw showing multitasting, it sometimes need to reload apps, even a page in browser.
    one example is that phonebuff video against iphone 6+. note 4 reloaded almost every app. every phone i used with high RAM usage just for system lagged a little, like lg g2. but phones with low RAM usage like nexus 4 and my current htc one m8 were smooth. i can open an app in the morning and in the evening it will be in the same state. unless i open a very heavy game or two.
    also if the system is running out of memory, clean master will not help too. or you try to disable the bloat or live with that.
    the problem is, some phones use too much ram out of the box, so user apps will have to ask OS to create a space in that RAM.
    12-08-2014 10:06 PM
    i don't think high RAM usage is a good thing at all. it would be good if it was filled with your most used apps, not samsung bloatware. i am considering buying a note 4 but every video i saw showing multitasting, it sometimes need to reload apps, even a page in browser.
    one example is that phonebuff video against iphone 6+. note 4 reloaded almost every app. every phone i used with high RAM usage just for system lagged a little, like lg g2. but phones with low RAM usage like nexus 4 and my current htc one m8 were smooth. i can open an app in the morning and in the evening it will be in the same state. unless i open a very heavy game or two.
    also if the system is running out of memory, clean master will not help too. or you try to disable the bloat or live with that.
    the problem is, some phones use too much ram out of the box, so user apps will have to ask OS to create a space in that RAM.
    Bloat apps only take up residence in RAM if you choose to use them--just like any other app. They occupy space in the device's internal storage, which can't be changed without root. More frustrating for devices without external storage, not as big of an issue for devices like the Note 4 that allow external storage.

If you don't want to use bloat apps, you can disable them in the application manager. This prevents them from being used by the device and occupying RAM.

Android utilizes RAM completely differently than Windows. It is very efficient in the way it allocates it. High RAM usage is not necessarily an indicator of lag.

The major problems with online "review" videos like phonebuff is you can't be certain what is going on with the devices or the creator. I'm not just talking about him, I'm speaking about the legions of YouTube "out of the box" reviewers out there. Did he get access to a pre-production device that still had pre-release software on it? Is he a reviewer that only has experience with Android devices when he reviews them, and after posting his videos goes back to an iPhone for his daily driver? That question is important because if he doesn't understand how the OS works, he won't know what needs to be done in order to set up the phone properly. Are they pro-android, pro-iOS, or neutral? Not all of them are neutral. I've seen reviews done with the phone right out of the box, with the reviewer trying to use the device without setting it up. Many phones won't look good doing this, because it keeps trying to run its initial setup process each step of the way. I've seen others who have loaded a custom ROM, flashed back to stock, then tried to run it. In other words, we're not always getting a "clean" review. Some people want to post a review that puts a particular phone in a bad light. Its better to look at multiple videos and read actual user experiences on forums like these, if you want to rely on other input for making a decision. Even then, you have to keep things in perspective.

The bottom line is, Android as an OS does a good job of managing RAM. The Note 4 specifically does a good job of utilizing RAM. High RAM usage by any device does not directly correlate to "lag issues."
    12-09-2014 08:39 AM
    Bloat apps only take up residence in RAM if you choose to use them--just like any other app. They occupy space in the device's internal storage, which can't be changed without root. More frustrating for devices without external storage, not as big of an issue for devices like the Note 4 that allow external storage.

If you don't want to use bloat apps, you can disable them in the application manager. This prevents them from being used by the device and occupying RAM.

Android utilizes RAM completely differently than Windows. It is very efficient in the way it allocates it. High RAM usage is not necessarily an indicator of lag.

The major problems with online "review" videos like phonebuff is you can't be certain what is going on with the devices or the creator. I'm not just talking about him, I'm speaking about the legions of YouTube "out of the box" reviewers out there. Did he get access to a pre-production device that still had pre-release software on it? Is he a reviewer that only has experience with Android devices when he reviews them, and after posting his videos goes back to an iPhone for his daily driver? That question is important because if he doesn't understand how the OS works, he won't know what needs to be done in order to set up the phone properly. Are they pro-android, pro-iOS, or neutral? Not all of them are neutral. I've seen reviews done with the phone right out of the box, with the reviewer trying to use the device without setting it up. Many phones won't look good doing this, because it keeps trying to run its initial setup process each step of the way. I've seen others who have loaded a custom ROM, flashed back to stock, then tried to run it. In other words, we're not always getting a "clean" review. Some people want to post a review that puts a particular phone in a bad light. Its better to look at multiple videos and read actual user experiences on forums like these, if you want to rely on other input for making a decision. Even then, you have to keep things in perspective.

The bottom line is, Android as an OS does a good job of managing RAM. The Note 4 specifically does a good job of utilizing RAM. High RAM usage by any device does not directly correlate to "lag issues."
    Preaching to these guys might be a double edged sword. Every time an old myth is dispelled, a new one comes up. I get the feeling people complaining about RAM are just looking for something to complain about. Next thing will be looking at their device under a microscope complaining about the sensors not perfectly lined up in their holes.

LaTuFu likes this.
    12-09-2014 09:16 AM
    You make a valid point.
    12-09-2014 10:37 AM
    Yeah is not safe to rely in only one source of reviews, and that's why i watch ton of vídeos and read reviews before buying a device. When i Said about bloat, i was talking about bloat that you can't see, frameworks of touchwiz, etc. Stock Android uses less than 1gb out of the box, touchwiz uses almost 2gb. If this device had 2gbs of RAM it would be almost impossible to keep any App in RAM, because you will open instagram for example, and when you open browser it will close instagram because of running out of RAM, do you understand my point? I think that RAM needs to be free for user, so i can open all my apps and let them in RAM and do not worry if system will close them.
    Preaching to these guys might be a double edged sword. Every time an old myth is dispelled, a new one comes up. I get the feeling people complaining about RAM are just looking for something to complain about. Next thing will be looking at their device under a microscope complaining about the sensors not perfectly lined up in their holes.

complaining about RAM usage would be useless if it doesn't affect the use of device, but it does. in note 4 apps reloads when multitask because of low ram available. when i had a nexus 4 never complained about ram because there was nothing to complain about. i open an app in the morning, and a lot of time later i open it again and was in same position i left it. from what i could see this do not happen in samsung devices.
    12-09-2014 12:50 PM
    I think there is a tendency to think about RAM from a past Windows experience or at least past computer experiences as well.

But in reality, if you have a newer computer and watch your RAM usage live, I think you will notice that both advanced mobile device design, computer design and usage has changed drastically over time and we are all very likely running closer to RAM limits than we used to run. The machines are designed to run this way and so are many of the OS, iOS and software/firmware packages designed for them. You have to be just about right at your Memory limit to get the thing to totally gag on a task now. I like to look at Memory utilization live on my computer just to see what is happening to the machine under certain operating conditions. Numbers that I would have found alarming years ago are par for the course now. I very often find the machine running at 95% or greater Memory utilization and happy as a clam.

Apple offers a good example here I think. Apple does not recommend the use of third party security or computer "cleaning" packages for its computers. So if you really want to jam up your Mac, buy a bunch of this third party stuff or authorize trials for same and you will bog down your Mac, even with 8gb of Memory! The very stuff being thrown at you claiming to help free up your Mac will slow your Mac down. Yosemite is particularly unforgiving in this regard, especially for a mid-life machine....maybe anything made from 2009 up to 2012 or so.

It pays to do a little research as well. Try to understand how your particular device has been designed....what design criteria were used for the hardware and the OS. Don't just buy it and complain about it.

The other place were I think some folks let themselves in for it is in their overall perspective on these devices. The makers think they are designing productivity and life efficiency tools, not toys. They are communications and information management tools. If your perspective on mobile devices is that these are toys for you to play with and your expectation is to run every Tom, **** and Larry thing there is all at the same time because it is "fun" then don't be surprised if you end up disappointed.
    12-09-2014 02:34 PM
    If it's not completely lagging your phone or giving you problems while running/using a certain app, why are you worrying so much that your RAM usage is high?

I literally leave a ton of apps running because it doesn't affect with how I use my Note 4.
    I might close some apps before I head to sleep since I probably won't be using it for at least 7-8 hours (which is rare because I only average less than 5 hours of sleep per day )
    12-09-2014 04:59 PM
    Yeah is not safe to rely in only one source of reviews, and that's why i watch ton of vídeos and read reviews before buying a device. When i Said about bloat, i was talking about bloat that you can't see, frameworks of touchwiz, etc. Stock Android uses less than 1gb out of the box, touchwiz uses almost 2gb. If this device had 2gbs of RAM it would be almost impossible to keep any App in RAM, because you will open instagram for example, and when you open browser it will close instagram because of running out of RAM, do you understand my point? I think that RAM needs to be free for user, so i can open all my apps and let them in RAM and do not worry if system will close them.

complaining about RAM usage would be useless if it doesn't affect the use of device, but it does. in note 4 apps reloads when multitask because of low ram available. when i had a nexus 4 never complained about ram because there was nothing to complain about. i open an app in the morning, and a lot of time later i open it again and was in same position i left it. from what i could see this do not happen in samsung devices.
    How do you know this any of that is RAM related? Maybe, just maybe, TouchWiz shuts down apps to save battery? That's a better conclusion seeing that Samsung devices tyically get better battery life compared to nexus devices, even when taking into account the small battery Nexi historically get. And you have to admit, of the major OS's, Android gets by far the worst battery life, and I think most OEMS skins try to help that.

And besides, how long does it take to get an app loaded? A second, maybe 2? Also, if you just let the OS do its job, your experience would be better. Doesn't android take into account individual usage when it's deciding what apps to kill? If your killing apps and worried about keeping your RAM clear, how is the OS supposed to know what apps to you use all the time? I use the AC app all the time, it always opens to where ever I left off, always. Same with the stock browser and Chrome, they are always were I left them, and I never clear my recent apps or even look at RAM usage.

bassplayrguy likes this.
    12-10-2014 01:29 AM
    Leandro, this device does not have 2g of RAM for a reason. The "extra" is there to run the other stuff.
    12-10-2014 08:54 AM
    And you have to admit, of the major OS's, Android gets by far the worst battery life, and I think most OEMS skins try to help that.
    I'd have to challenge you on that assertion.

My wife's iOS devices consistently have worse battery performance than any of the android devices I've had, and specifically my Galaxy devices run circles around her iPhones. The Note 4 doesn't even compare to her iPhone it is so much better.
    12-10-2014 03:31 PM
    Dumping TouchWiz means dumping all the features that make a Note a Note. Yes, you can cut down on the RAM used by doing that but then why buy a Note at all?
    What features does one lose by dumping touchwiz?
    12-10-2014 05:58 PM
    What features does one lose by dumping touchwiz?
    For starters, the S-Pen features. Then there are little things like the camera....
    12-10-2014 06:04 PM
    I'd have to challenge you on that assertion.

My wife's iOS devices consistently have worse battery performance than any of the android devices I've had, and specifically my Galaxy devices run circles around her iPhones. The Note 4 doesn't even compare to her iPhone it is so much better.
    But the iPhone 6 only has a 1800mah battery. I only have a 6, not a 6+ to compare, but my wife is getting substantially better life than on her S4, and I can't compare to my Note usage, as we use our phones entirely different.

The only thing I have on Windows phone is my brother going from a 920 to a Nexus 5, and being sad about the battery life between the 2, so admittedly I only have 3rd party knowledge.
    12-10-2014 10:53 PM
    How do you know this any of that is RAM related? Maybe, just maybe, TouchWiz shuts down apps to save battery? That's a better conclusion seeing that Samsung devices tyically get better battery life compared to nexus devices, even when taking into account the small battery Nexi historically get. And you have to admit, of the major OS's, Android gets by far the worst battery life, and I think most OEMS skins try to help that.

And besides, how long does it take to get an app loaded? A second, maybe 2? Also, if you just let the OS do its job, your experience would be better. Doesn't android take into account individual usage when it's deciding what apps to kill? If your killing apps and worried about keeping your RAM clear, how is the OS supposed to know what apps to you use all the time? I use the AC app all the time, it always opens to where ever I left off, always. Same with the stock browser and Chrome, they are always were I left them, and I never clear my recent apps or even look at RAM usage.

agreed. maybe not ram related. in the latest phonebuff video, it compared nexus 6, iphone 6 and note 4. the nexus 6 won because in second lap it had almost all the apps ready in memory, while note 4 had to reload most of them. and in my usage i never get worried about ram, my current htc m8 hasn't been rebooted by almost a month. but from my past experience when i see too many reloading apps i think is ram related. galaxy nexus and lg g2, ram almost full, apps reloading all the time. nexus 4 and htc m8, 1gb or more free all the time, apps stay in memory.
    but as you said that you have no complaints about apps reloading is a relief, was a pain in my lg g2, writing a text in chrome and after switch to another app and back to chrome the page reloads and i had to write the text from scratch. is a bit of trauma.
    12-11-2014 12:47 AM
    I had that same problem with chrome on my G2, it was pretty annoying. Google actually has an app for Samsung phones that makes Chrome work better, and it is noticeable compared to other phones I have had.
    12-11-2014 09:24 PM
88 1234