I've done some googling and nothing particularly helpful came up other then "its your carrier". But even when sending an image as simple as a screenshot it ends up compressing it so much it looks like PURE ***. I know imessaging is data based but if you send pictures between two iphones using MMS it doesn't look nearly this bad. Any fix?
    10-22-2014 10:04 PM
    Are you talking about sending it through iMessage between iPhones? If so, those don't go through your carrier. Carriers put limits on MMS size.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
    10-22-2014 10:06 PM
    I was basically saying I'm NOT comparing MMS to I message quality. But its 2014 and I'm getting like 640x480 quality screenshots in the stock messaging app.
    10-22-2014 10:08 PM
    I've noticed this too. Not sure if my last phone (moto x) on same carrier was doing it or not, didn't seem to be. I'm going to poke around some more settings but don't remember seeing anything to effect this..

As a work around, you can use different IM apps. I use WhatsApp pretty frequently, and hangouts is an obvious one.

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-22-2014 10:08 PM
    Handcent may be a better option??

10-22-2014 10:09 PM
    No.. your post WAS comparing MMS to iMessaging.. Regardless, you got your answer. The only way to fix it is to increase the carrier limit. This can be done by rooting, but it might give you issues. Otherwise you can use something like Hangouts or WhatsApp.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
    10-22-2014 10:11 PM
    I use ChompSMS and have it set to 600... This way it doesn't get rejected by any carrier.. No issues at all with quality.
    Attached Thumbnails Note 4 Switched from iphone5. MMS?-1414030527013.jpg  
    10-22-2014 10:15 PM
    Use viber

10-22-2014 10:27 PM
    So I used hangouts and opened the pictures I thought were bad quality from past messages in hangouts,and they look fine. So clearly its just how the stock messaging app displays pictures?
    10-23-2014 01:57 AM
    So I used hangouts and opened the pictures I thought were bad quality from past messages in hangouts,and they look fine. So clearly its just how the stock messaging app displays pictures?
    I'd suggest just trying one of the many good 3rd party apps. I personally hate Samsung's default messaging app.
    10-23-2014 09:16 AM
    I always have had great success with Textra. It is organized a bit like iMessage although it is a bit uglier.
    10-23-2014 09:52 AM
    I see xunderxoathx's point though...

Most of my family/friends are all iPhone users, and when I used to have an iPhone it was so seamless and easy to send multimedia (particularly video). True, there are other forms of messaging apps that can accomplish the same thing...but most of them use iMessage only and do not want to mess with other apps (I can't blame them). Now I can't seem to send or receive any good looking videos...kind of sad. This may actually pull me back to the Apple environment for my next upgrade...kinda sad.
    10-23-2014 10:48 AM

Most of my family/friends are all iPhone users, and when I used to have an iPhone it was so seamless and easy to send multimedia (particularly video). True, there are other forms of messaging apps that can accomplish the same thing...but most of them use iMessage only and do not want to mess with other apps (I can't blame them). Now I can't seem to send or receive any good looking videos...kind of sad. This may actually pull me back to the Apple environment for my next upgrade...kinda sad.
    Put your video on Google Drive or Dropbox and share a link. Works much better and you can share full length video and full resolution rather than compromising it for messaging limits.
    10-23-2014 11:47 AM

Unfortunately Google doesn't control the phone 100% so they don't have something as seamless as iMessage. When sending MMS messages (particularly video) through your carrier it will be compressed by them. This is a carrier thing. Apple can only send full video due to it sending it via iMessage .. So it isn't going through your carrier .. It is going through Apple and they are not compressing it for transfer. Good for video quality ... The only "bad" thing I can think of is data usage on mobile.. If someone sends you a video it is a full video download which could hurt those with low data plans.. Other than that there really isn't a negative.
    10-23-2014 11:50 AM
    Put your video on Google Drive or Dropbox and share a link. Works much better and you can share full length video and full resolution rather than compromising it for messaging limits.
    Yeah, I've heard about this method before and need to try it. Unfortunately, it's just not as seamless as an iMessage. iMessage users are likely to not click the link and wait for the movie to buffer...then they'll ask why it wasn't just sent directly.

Android users aren't as spoiled as iPhone users I guess so they're willing to put through the extra work it takes. Apple has everything handed to iPhone users on a silver platter. I'm just hoping Apple opens up their iMessage environment some day...

-ATM
    10-23-2014 02:47 PM
    Yeah, I've heard about this method before and need to try it. Unfortunately, it's just not as seamless as an iMessage. iMessage users are likely to not click the link and wait for the movie to buffer...then they'll ask why it wasn't just sent directly.

Android users aren't as spoiled as iPhone users I guess so they're willing to put through the extra work it takes. Apple has everything handed to iPhone users on a silver platter. I'm just hoping Apple opens up their iMessage environment some day...

-ATM
    Apple will not open it up to Android users. Apple can do this for iPhone users because they control iPhones 100 percent.. Android has many different manufacturers.
    10-23-2014 03:31 PM
    As mentioned earlier in the thread, I use WhatsApp for pics and vids. It's a fantastic app regardless...especially for group messaging
    10-23-2014 03:41 PM
    As mentioned earlier in the thread, I use WhatsApp for pics and vids. It's a fantastic app regardless...especially for group messaging
    True but doesn't WhatsApp require them to have it as well in order to do this?
    10-23-2014 03:43 PM
    True but doesn't WhatsApp require them to have it as well in order to do this?
    Yes, it does. If it's someone I'm close with I'll sell them on installing the app ...because it's a great app. My girlfriend has an iPhone and she just knows to use WhatsApp if it's a pic or a vid that is something I may actually want to keep or that is important.

So you just use a 3rd party messaging app, set that as your default then raise the size limit? What are some good 3rd party apps?
    10-23-2014 03:49 PM
    Yes, it does. If it's someone I'm close with I'll sell them on installing the app ...because it's a great app. My girlfriend has an iPhone and she just knows to use WhatsApp if it's a pic or a vid that is something I may actually want to keep or that is important.

So you just use a 3rd party messaging app, set that as your default then raise the size limit? What are some good 3rd party apps?
    That is what I do .. Pictures are fine .. Videos though will always be bad over carrier MMS sadly. I personally like ChompSMS and many like Textra (made by the ChompSMS guys) -- Also Handcent is also popular.
    10-23-2014 04:01 PM