12-03-2016 02:47 AM
97 1234
tools
    I keep the fast charger next to my night stand and use it almost daily to get to 100%before I go to bed and then top off to 100% before I leave for work. (I usually drain about 10% messing around in here or FB before work). But if not home, I use a regular charger.
    hanbalfrek likes this.
    11-05-2014 06:01 AM
    I turn it off when I am doing normal charging at night when I don't care how long it takes for the battery to drain. When I need to charge at work or I know I am going out for the night and am on a time crunch I turn it on.

Works great when needed but I always don't need it on.
    11-05-2014 06:27 AM
    I am sure Samsung put this feature through testing before mass producing it. These batteries are only good for a couple years at most anyway and by that time you will be typing on your new note 6.
    Yes Samsung put it through testing. Is that why they made it so you can turn it off?
    11-05-2014 07:00 AM
    I am not worried about fast charge. New electric cars have multiple fast charge voltages. I am worried about the problems that I had with my S3. I used wireless charging and left the phone on the pad when not in use. I went through (2) batteries in (2) years. Both expanded to the point that the cover would no longer fit! I read somewhere that this could be dangerous. I hope the N4 does not do this. I as still debating about wireless for my N4. Battery life is better and it recharges fast, so there is less need for wireless.
    11-05-2014 07:20 AM
    i was told by samsung to not keep it on due to overheating. your are only supposed to turn ont he feature when you wish do get the 30 min quickcharge, after taht turn it off. it is not meant for charging the battery full but only for the short reccomended increments to turbo charge. this was according to samsung 2 days ago when i talked to the rep. just my opinion but i wouldnt
    Mine doesn't overheat. Most certainly though if it gets hot then it is a problem

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Attached Thumbnails Note 4: Do you keep fast charging on?-uploadfromtaptalk1415195612600.jpg   Note 4: Do you keep fast charging on?-uploadfromtaptalk1415195624506.jpg  
    monsieurms likes this.
    11-05-2014 07:54 AM
    I actually don't even charge my phone. I just swap out the battery. However this morning I was at 20% and wanted to save my full battery since I was going to work, so I tried fast charging. Went from 20% to 68% in a little less than 30 minutes. Awesome.

From my smokin' hot Note 4
    Since you take the back cover off daily, what's your tip for quickly/easily removing the back cover from the phone? I'm a guy with VERY short fingernails and can't get the cover off without using something else thin.
    11-05-2014 09:26 AM
    Since you take the back cover off daily, what's your tip for quickly/easily removing the back cover from the phone? I'm a guy with VERY short fingernails and can't get the cover off without using something else thin.
    I do the same. They really must not want us to take the back cover off. Actually I had a grand idea and don't put the cover on at all. I have a clear case so it looks like the back cover is clear.

11-05-2014 09:29 AM
    The setting is to take advantage of the higher juice output when using the adaptive charger only. So if you disable the setting and use the adaptive charger it will charge slower.

Leave it on and use the adaptive charger only when you need a quick charge like during the day if you somehow run low. Use a different charging block at night. That's what I do so it charges slower as s directed by most battery manufacturers.

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-05-2014 10:41 AM
    I have short finger nails as well -- I just pull on that little slot near the top right and it pops open for me to pull the rest off.
    11-05-2014 11:54 AM
    No, haven't needed to use that feature yet, I get all day use from an 8 to 9 hour normal charge as it is. So I haven't needed to use the fast charge yet. I did on day 1 when I got the phone to test it, but after that, I hadn't needed to use that feature. I generally get 17 hours from a full charge anyway.

11-06-2014 12:28 AM
    I do the same. They really must not want us to take the back cover off. Actually I had a grand idea and don't put the cover on at all. I have a clear case so it looks like the back cover is clear.

I bet that looks pretty cool! Pics?
    11-06-2014 11:18 AM
    Yes Samsung put it through testing. Is that why they made it so you can turn it off?
    If you are worried about it, turn it off. I leave mine on all the time and have no issues. If the battery does get damaged, I have an extra and know where more are.
    monsieurms likes this.
    11-06-2014 11:19 AM
    I bet that looks pretty cool! Pics?
    I switched to my Otterbox now haha or I would definitely give some pics.

11-06-2014 11:25 AM
    I realize this is a 2 week old thread, but I wanted to chime in, as I know a little about the technology. The technology was created explicitly as a way of charging batteries more quickly WITHOUT damaging the battery any quicker than normal, as the energy density of batteries has reached somewhat of a plateau. So no, I will not be turning it off, as its very concept is the antithesis of what many are worried about.

11-17-2014 08:53 PM
    Sometimes I don't even know why I should care (base on my history) knowing that I will sell it in 4-6 months but I do and only use this feature only when I need it.
    11-17-2014 09:26 PM
    Sometimes I don't even know why I should care (base on my history) knowing that I will sell it in 4-6 months but I do and only use this feature only when I need it.
    I just don't see the point. The technology was created purely as a way of increasing charge speed WITHOUT damaging the phone any quicker than normal(all batteries incur damage with normal use). Why is anyone worried about it harming their battery? A lot of people creating an issue that doesn't exist. Seriously, if you just take 5 minutes to Google "Adaptive Fast Charging" you will see within a few minutes that you are wasting your time unnecessarily. Not ranting at you, just the hundreds of people on here who would rather turn it off and create a huge forum discussion about it without ever once actually talking the time to research the technology. You would have already saved a significant amount of time if you had just researched it in the first place rather than come here to discuss it, NOT research it at all, and turn it off anyways. It's just hilarious to me. Lol.

wase4711 likes this.
    11-18-2014 05:58 PM
    I just don't see the point. The technology was created purely as a way of increasing charge speed WITHOUT damaging the phone any quicker than normal(all batteries incur damage with normal use). Why is anyone worried about it harming their battery? A lot of people creating an issue that doesn't exist. Seriously, if you just take 5 minutes to Google "Adaptive Fast Charging" you will see within a few minutes that you are wasting your time unnecessarily. Not ranting at you, just the hundreds of people on here who would rather turn it off and create a huge forum discussion about it without ever once actually talking the time to research the technology. You would have already saved a significant amount of time if you had just researched it in the first place rather than come here to discuss it, NOT research it at all, and turn it off anyways. It's just hilarious to me. Lol.

Agree totally; so many threads on this board fall into that same category...
    11-18-2014 06:04 PM
    How do you know it's not causing ANY damage?
    11-19-2014 03:55 AM
    why would you "assume" it is???
    11-19-2014 05:41 AM
    Cause there is an option to disable it.
    11-19-2014 07:03 AM
    There are lots of great articles that explain Qualcomm's Quick Charge 2.0 technology. NONE that I've read (and I've read a few), indicate ANY issues with using this technology. There is intelligent electronics inside the Note 4 to decide what charging voltages and current to use. The phone is DESIGNED for this technology. I even suspect that this technology is SAFER for the battery, since the integrated electronics monitors the charging process - but that's only my opinion.

Personally, I can see no reason NOT to use it - but, to each their own.

For reference, here are a few articles:

Qualcomm's Quick Charge 2.0 technology explained

Has Qualcomm Finally Fixed The Smartphone Charging Problem? - Forbes

Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 to offer 75 percent faster charging in Snapdragon 800 devices | The Verge

5 Practical Ways to Solve the Smartphone Battery Life Problem
    wase4711 and UniQue WerkX like this.
    11-19-2014 07:27 AM
    It is quite possible it is a placebo for all of the people convinced that there is a possibility of harming the battery.

The circuitry built into these batteries prevents overcharging/overdischarging during normal use anyway--regardless of the presence of the fast charge/discharge.

It isn't the amount of current applied to these batteries to recharge them that is the "threat" to them (the wall chargers we get with the phones are not powerful enough to deliver "too much" current to the batteries).

The biggest threats to life expectancy on these batteries is temperature extremes (don't leave it in a hot car in the summer or a cold car in the winter) and discharging the batteries below a certain voltage level.

Common sense and reasonable care will prevent the former, the circuitry inside the battery prevents the latter.

It is possible, potentially, that there is a small amount of increase in heat to the battery during fast charge. (More current=more energy, which certainly gives the possibility of more heat) but it is most likely well within the normal operating temps. If it isn't the difference is so small that I doubt anyone can tell the difference without measuring equipment. You certainly won't be able to measure a difference in service life.
    BarfingMonkey likes this.
    11-19-2014 08:55 AM
    I can also disable wifi, bluetooth, mobile data, screen rotation, location services, and TONS of other options. None of this means it is harming your device to enable it. Like I said, the technology was created as a way of charging faster WITHOUT any additional damage. The circuitry specifically monitors for damage, and reduces speed if any is detected. Researching technology and actually understanding it really helps to not be unnecessarily afraid of new technology. It seriously only took me about 10 minutes to learn all of this.

IceCold803 and wase4711 like this.
    11-19-2014 12:27 PM
    That doesn't really mean anything.. .
    11-19-2014 03:36 PM
    I can also disable wifi, bluetooth, mobile data, screen rotation, location services, and TONS of other options. None of this means it is harming your device to enable it. Like I said, the technology was created as a way of charging faster WITHOUT any additional damage. The circuitry specifically monitors for damage, and reduces speed if any is detected. Researching technology and actually understanding it really helps to not be unnecessarily afraid of new technology. It seriously only took me about 10 minutes to learn all of this.

Not the same
    11-20-2014 11:43 AM
97 1234