12-03-2016 02:47 AM
97 ... 234
tools
    I'm just looking at it from an engineering prospective.
    11-20-2014 11:44 AM
    Well, strictly from an engineering perspective, the batteries are overengineered.

It may be more accurate to say that the operating range of the batteries that is set by the circuitry has plenty of safety buffer built into it. In other words, there is very likely plenty of voltage left in the cells when our phones say "0 battery" that could safely operate the phone and not harm the battery, but the manufacturers keep a safe buffer to prevent catastrophic damage to the batteries, phones, or people.
    onsoku likes this.
    11-20-2014 11:47 AM
    Just saying you said because there is an option to turn it off .. that means it could hurt the battery... But phones do have a lot of options to turn off so that doesn't really fit.

Honestly anything can hurt your battery ... using your phone will hurt your battery over time. Fast charging may cause the battery to degrade a little quicker over time but I don't see it shortening the time a ton .. even if it did you could just nab a new one and slap it in .
    monsieurms likes this.
    11-20-2014 12:27 PM
    I am also an engineer. Please explain your PERspective. I don't understand how you are looking at it from an engineering perspective if these chargers were engineered specifically to prevent damage...

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-20-2014 08:49 PM
    Just saying you said because there is an option to turn it off .. that means it could hurt the battery... But phones do have a lot of options to turn off so that doesn't really fit.

Honestly anything can hurt your battery ... using your phone will hurt your battery over time. Fast charging may cause the battery to degrade a little quicker over time but I don't see it shortening the time a ton .. even if it did you could just nab a new one and slap it in .
    Yea. Regular usage damages batteries. That's why all batteries eventually need to be replaced. They engineered these chargers specifically to prevent any more damage than normal charging. So many unnecessarily paranoid people here. Lol.

11-20-2014 08:52 PM
    We need a electrcal/battery engineer here.
    11-21-2014 06:16 AM
    At the risk of additional critcism for questioning the technology, let me point out what concerns me from a logical perspective. First, I have no concern about the affect on the battery while it is charging up to 100%. However, what concerns me is what happens when it reaches 100% and sits for hours plugged in on the fast charging mode. Logically speaking, it seems to me that the fast charging mode is designed for situations that you wouldn't expect to see the phone remain plugged in for hours after reaching a full charge; you are using that mode because you need your phone charged fast. I've read that it is not good for a battery in general to leave it plugged in after the battery reaches a full charge and that most phones are designed to do some form of de-charge/re-charge to prevent damage to the phone. So, my point is that it would seem that a faster charger could present an even bigger problem if left charging for long periods of time once the battery reaches a full charge. So, when I am plugging the phone in ALL night, the fast charging would reach maximum charge even quicker and therefore sit longer plugged in on a full charge. Furthermore, if the faster charging is pushing even more juice through, then it would seem logical that it just might be worse for the battery/phone than normal charge mode for overnight charging. Now you can slam my logic if you want.
    akutch34 likes this.
    11-21-2014 10:39 AM
    At the risk of additional critcism for questioning the technology, let me point out what concerns me from a logical perspective. First, I have no concern about the affect on the battery while it is charging up to 100%. However, what concerns me is what happens when it reaches 100% and sits for hours plugged in on the fast charging mode. Logically speaking, it seems to me that the fast charging mode is designed for situations that you wouldn't expect to see the phone remain plugged in for hours after reaching a full charge; you are using that mode because you need your phone charged fast. I've read that it is not good for a battery in general to leave it plugged in after the battery reaches a full charge and that most phones are designed to do some form of de-charge/re-charge to prevent damage to the phone. So, my point is that it would seem that a faster charger could present an even bigger problem if left charging for long periods of time once the battery reaches a full charge. So, when I am plugging the phone in ALL night, the fast charging would reach maximum charge even quicker and therefore sit longer plugged in on a full charge. Furthermore, if the faster charging is pushing even more juice through, then it would seem logical that it just might be worse for the battery/phone than normal charge mode for overnight charging. Now you can slam my logic if you want.
    This! All of this! I plug my phone in at night and charge it. If it's not unhooked by my gf when she needs it then it'll sit there the whoooole night.

Quick charges is what I use it for and overnight it remains off. I never had to replace a battery within 2 years of owning a phone. Kinda wanna keep that record.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
    akutch34 likes this.
    11-23-2014 10:50 AM
    What is the name of the font you use on your phone? Can you post a link to the play store with the app you downloaded to use it? Very nice.
    11-23-2014 01:36 PM
    Its strange because earlier when I asked about the fast charging, my fast charging option was grayed out. Now it seems to be ok.
    If your phone is already plugged in, you can't turn fast charging on until you unplug. It will be grayed out until you unplug. That happened to me, too.
    11-23-2014 01:41 PM
    So here is some information for your battery knowledge and enlightenment.

Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries – Battery University

Probably spend an afternoon there.

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University
    11-23-2014 02:56 PM
    What is the name of the font you use on your phone? Can you post a link to the play store with the app you downloaded to use it? Very nice.
    The font is called cheekaw and u download all my for from ifont https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...com.kapp.ifont

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
    akutch34 likes this.
    11-23-2014 05:46 PM
    We need a electrcal/battery engineer here.
    Yea, now what. Anything that is said by a battery expert would be ridiculed by someone. There are still people that believe you should fully discharge the battery before recharging it. Even though that is bad for the LiIon technology, they still do it.
    The whole LiIon battery deal has gotchas. Such as, it is best to store them around 50% charge. If it is in your phone, that is not practical. You are going to want it at, or close to 100%, before you start the day. 50% is unlikely to last the day..
    One thing is a fact, heat is BAD for LiIon, and you can control that. Avoid charging in a hot closed car in the summer for example. A fast charge WILL generate a LITTLE BIT more heat. Avoid the heat.
    But in the end, you bought the thing to use, not to fret over. If it needs a quick charge, use the quick charge. If you don't need it, you may want to turn it off. It will be an almost unmeasurable difference in the battery life. And thankfully it isn't a 'fruit' phone, you can swap the battery relatively cheaply if it wears out.
    The phone has safety electronics to prevent over charging or over discharging. Since the battery IS replaceable, the battery pack also has safety electronics in it to prevent over charging or over discharging. (plus short circuit protection). The battery can NEVER overcharge.

Use it the way that suits you best.
    11-23-2014 06:51 PM
    I just put mine in the fridge, and it self charges from the cold induction.
    akutch34 likes this.
    03-10-2015 10:07 PM
    Hi,
    I have a question regarding the normal charging time of my note 4.
    The first two times that I charged it, it ended approximately on 2 hours.
    But the third and fourth time, it finished in about 8 hours.
    Is it normal? Should I be worry and buy a new battery?
    04-25-2015 03:45 PM
    I have sprint
    FastNote 4: Do you keep fast charging on?-uploadfromtaptalk1430012894167.jpg charging is under powersaving on sprint phones.
    04-25-2015 08:48 PM
    I didn't realize you had to turn it on or off. That is an odd thing.
    04-25-2015 09:08 PM
    Yes. New batteries are cheap, time wasted is irreplaceable.
    04-25-2015 09:10 PM
    I leave it on. It is curious that you can turn it off but I have my note4 charger, turbo charger and a adaptive fast car charger. My girlfriend got an s5 with that goofy wide usb so I can't even use that.. Rarely do i use a standard charger anymore.

04-26-2015 10:17 AM
    Don't hesitate to turn it on. It's one of the greatest feature on this phone, try it for some days.
    02-25-2016 09:03 AM
    I am sure Samsung put this feature through testing before mass producing it. These batteries are only good for a couple years at most anyway and by that time you will be typing on your new note 6.
    there was not such a thing not note 6
    12-03-2016 02:10 AM
    there was not such a thing not note 6
    That's because you're replying to a two year old post :/
    nahoku likes this.
    12-03-2016 02:47 AM
97 ... 234