Note 4: Do you keep fast charging on?

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
yes you right, only on when needed then turn it off per samsungs instructions. it will cause overheating in the phone. thats info right from samsung.

Hmm. That is an interesting curveball. Thanks for posting that. But I have to say, just went back to the manual they make available online and it says nothing of the sort. There is just an innocuous recommendation to use fast charging. Why would anyone recommend using something dangerous and not bother to set out any caveats?

You would think that if there were indeed a problem, they'd make that clear. But instead, the phone comes with an auto cue the first time you charge it: "Do you want to use the adaptive charger?" and says nothing else. That would certainly seem likely to make people use it all the time if there isn't going to be a warning to the contrary. After all, if they don't give you a downside, why would anyone want to turn fast charging off? Barring some warning on a downside, surely no one thinks slow charging is a good thing. Once a user turns this on, how many people are really going to keep turning it off and on 5 times a day or every time you go near a charger?? Not many, I'd guess.

It wouldn't be the first time we've heard something from a poorly trained CSR dealing with a brand new feature that they don't really know about. But I'd like to see ANY official documentation that suggests it is dangerous to the phone per se (as opposed to perhaps shortening battery life over a year or so..)

Last edited:

husker619

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Re: Do you keep fast charging on?

Its strange because earlier when I asked about the fast charging, my fast charging option was grayed out. Now it seems to be ok.

"grayed out" mine will go grayed out when I plug it into a usb port on my PC, aka slow charge. Im guessing it will gray out if I use my old GSiii charger as well.

wase4711

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I just called Samsung, and they said there is no reason to turn this off; I've had it on for 3 weeks, and never overheated my phone or battery..
Its like getting a 4k tv, and only watching it in low def because you dont want to stress the processor...

It wouldnt be an option if it was dangerous for the phone, so stop treating the phone like a tender princess and use it like its intended to be used.

And, I worked for the world leader in battery charging technology for 12 years, so I know alot about this topic...

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
There is just an innocuous recommendation to use fast charging. Why would anyone recommend using something dangerous and not bother to set out any caveats?

I just called Samsung, and they said there is no reason to turn this off; I've had it on for 3 weeks, and never overheated my phone or battery..

It's definitely not "dangerous" by any means to use fast charge ever, or continuously. And I doubt that the difference in temperature between normal charge and fast charge is noticeable without monitoring equipment.

The most likely reason I can see for having the ability to toggle it on/off is that it does increase stress on the battery to do it--even if it is stress that is designed in and accounted for in the design of the device and the battery itself.

Do I think anyone will harm their phone or their battery by using the fast charge function? Absolutely not. Do I think there will be a news story within the next 6 months about some poor soul who set their pillow on fire while fast charging? Yep, because you can't make this stuff up in America any more.

I think it is possible that it will shorten the service life of the battery to use fast charge every night to charge, even when you don't need to. But that is a relative statement, too. I have yet to own a smartphone that I didn't wind up replacing the entire device with a new one around the same time the battery's performance started to degrade. I doubt that it will be much different with the Note 4.

Want to use fast charge every night? Go for it, I doubt you'll ever notice a problem.

Want to turn off fast charge when you don't feel it is necessary? Go for it, I doubt you'll notice the difference in service life.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I don't care if it affects the battery. The ability to replace degraded batteries is why I buy devices with removable batteries.

GalaxyOnyxWitch

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site

I don't keep it on. I charge my phone overnight pretty much every night. Ergo no need to make it work any faster. If I need it I use it.

jerseygirl

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I keep the fast charger next to my night stand and use it almost daily to get to 100%before I go to bed and then top off to 100% before I leave for work. (I usually drain about 10% messing around in here or FB before work). But if not home, I use a regular charger.

dedduck0121

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I turn it off when I am doing normal charging at night when I don't care how long it takes for the battery to drain. When I need to charge at work or I know I am going out for the night and am on a time crunch I turn it on.

Works great when needed but I always don't need it on.

scallawag

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

I am sure Samsung put this feature through testing before mass producing it. These batteries are only good for a couple years at most anyway and by that time you will be typing on your new note 6.
Yes Samsung put it through testing. Is that why they made it so you can turn it off?

GaryK2

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site

I am not worried about fast charge. New electric cars have multiple fast charge voltages. I am worried about the problems that I had with my S3. I used wireless charging and left the phone on the pad when not in use. I went through (2) batteries in (2) years. Both expanded to the point that the cover would no longer fit! I read somewhere that this could be dangerous. I hope the N4 does not do this. I as still debating about wireless for my N4. Battery life is better and it recharges fast, so there is less need for wireless.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

i was told by samsung to not keep it on due to overheating. your are only supposed to turn ont he feature when you wish do get the 30 min quickcharge, after taht turn it off. it is not meant for charging the battery full but only for the short reccomended increments to turbo charge. this was according to samsung 2 days ago when i talked to the rep. just my opinion but i wouldnt
Mine doesn't overheat. Most certainly though if it gets hot then it is a problem

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415195612600.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415195612600.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 56
  • uploadfromtaptalk1415195624506.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415195624506.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 55

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
I actually don't even charge my phone. I just swap out the battery. However this morning I was at 20% and wanted to save my full battery since I was going to work, so I tried fast charging. Went from 20% to 68% in a little less than 30 minutes. Awesome.

From my smokin' hot Note 4

Since you take the back cover off daily, what's your tip for quickly/easily removing the back cover from the phone? I'm a guy with VERY short fingernails and can't get the cover off without using something else thin.

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Since you take the back cover off daily, what's your tip for quickly/easily removing the back cover from the phone? I'm a guy with VERY short fingernails and can't get the cover off without using something else thin.
I do the same. They really must not want us to take the back cover off. Actually I had a grand idea and don't put the cover on at all. I have a clear case so it looks like the back cover is clear.

From my smokin' hot Note 4

vedwardsiii

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
The setting is to take advantage of the higher juice output when using the adaptive charger only. So if you disable the setting and use the adaptive charger it will charge slower.

Leave it on and use the adaptive charger only when you need a quick charge like during the day if you somehow run low. Use a different charging block at night. That's what I do so it charges slower as s directed by most battery manufacturers.

Posted via the Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I have short finger nails as well -- I just pull on that little slot near the top right and it pops open for me to pull the rest off.

swade8

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
No, haven't needed to use that feature yet, I get all day use from an 8 to 9 hour normal charge as it is. So I haven't needed to use the fast charge yet. I did on day 1 when I got the phone to test it, but after that, I hadn't needed to use that feature. I generally get 17 hours from a full charge anyway.

Posted via the Android Central App