I just picked up my black N4 (VzW) from BB earlier this morning and I've got a question about whether I can turn on my old iPhone 5 to get passwords I have saved on that device. Since I've now activated the N4, does that mean that I'll create some ripple in the universe if I turn on my iPhone 5 to try to get some info?

Thanks.
    10-23-2014 11:54 AM
    Are you sure you can get passwords on your iPhone in the first place? I think in most situations, a device or a piece of software won't tell you what the password is--that would defeat the purpose of the password! You typically would have to change the password. Unless you're talking about retrieving some text file you created that has all of your passwords ...

By the way, make sure iMessage was deactivated on your iPhone prior to activating your new phone--otherwise, you may have trouble receiving text messages from anyone with iPhones.
    10-23-2014 12:01 PM
    Are you sure you can get passwords on your iPhone in the first place? I think in most situations, a device or a piece of software won't tell you what the password is--that would defeat the purpose of the password! You typically would have to change the password. Unless you're talking about retrieving some text file you created that has all of your passwords ...

By the way, make sure iMessage was deactivated on your iPhone prior to activating your new phone--otherwise, you may have trouble receiving text messages from anyone with iPhones.
    Thanks for the response. Yes, it's a text/note file on my iP5 that has a list of my PWs. Also, I do have an issue receiving iMessages from other iPhone users even though the BB/VzW rep turned off iMessage while she was activating it. This goes back to my original inquiry, and that is whether it is safe for me to turn on my iP5 to confirm that iMessage was turned off correctly (and to get my note file containing my PWs).
    10-23-2014 12:48 PM
    I don't think turning on the iPhone should be an issue, but if you're concerned, then as soon as you turn it on, turn on Airplane Mode to make sure any wi-fi or mobile data connections are off. That way, it won't sync anything that you don't want it to.

I've heard that sometimes it takes a little while (like a few minutes to maybe even a couple of hours) for the iMessage deactivation to take effect, so if the rep immediately activated the new phone after turning off iMessage, it might not have been enough time. Try calling Apple Support and ask them to make sure your number has been removed from the iMessage servers. You'll need to give them your Apple ID.
    10-23-2014 12:53 PM
    Thanks for the response. Yes, it's a text/note file on my iP5 that has a list of my PWs. Also, I do have an issue receiving iMessages from other iPhone users even though the BB/VzW rep turned off iMessage while she was activating it. This goes back to my original inquiry, and that is whether it is safe for me to turn on my iP5 to confirm that iMessage was turned off correctly (and to get my note file containing my PWs).
    Yes it's ok to turn it back on. While you're at it, go into settings on the iPhone, go to messages, tap on addresses you receive messages at and "sign out". If you were signed into iMessage with your Apple ID, just turning off the feature is not good enough, you have to sign out. Also if you use any other device to receive iMessages, like an iPad or Mac, sign out on them as well. Until you do so your number will be tied up in iMessages, if you signed in with your Apple ID.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    10-23-2014 12:57 PM
    Yes it's ok to turn it back on. While you're at it, go into settings on the iPhone, go to messages, tap on addresses you receive messages at and "sign out". If you were signed into iMessage with your Apple ID, just turning off the feature is not good enough, you have to sign out. Also if you use any other device to receive iMessages, like an iPad or Mac, sign out on them as well. Until you do so your number will be tied up in iMessages, if you signed in with your Apple ID.
    Thank you for your help. I'm going to try that now.
    10-23-2014 01:21 PM
    Also, i turned off find my iPhone which i heard can cause issues as well.

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-23-2014 01:34 PM