Hi all! This is my first time to post here; I'm new to this Android thing. My previous phone was a Lumia 920, and I am looking to replace it with a Note 4. At least, I think so. I have heard people on both sides, some with Samsungs that say they give them a plethora of issues and then others with Samsungs that love them and have no problems. I am particularly talking about people with Note's. Does anyone know anything about this inconsistency in reports?

Also, is there anything special I would need to do to the Note 4 if I got it? I hear people talk about Cyanogen mod and I've researched a bit of it, but I still don't entirely know what it is used for.

Sorry, these are probably dumb questions, but as I said I'm kind of new here haha.

Thanks in advance!
    10-24-2014 01:09 AM
    Well, it is all a matter of personal preference. Samsung did used to have some issues with GPS radios not looking fast enough but that issue has been fixed for a little while now in their latest devices. They also used to have poor build quality in that if you dropped it, chances are good that the screen was done. Again, thus is not as big of an issue now, then others complained about Touchwiz, which is the name of the skin and software that Samsung uses to customizes Android.

Posted via the Android Central App using my Galaxy Note 4 from Sprint
    10-24-2014 01:20 AM
    Hi all! This is my first time to post here; I'm new to this Android thing. My previous phone was a Lumia 920, and I am looking to replace it with a Note 4. At least, I think so. I have heard people on both sides, some with Samsungs that say they give them a plethora of issues and then others with Samsungs that love them and have no problems. I am particularly talking about people with Note's. Does anyone know anything about this inconsistency in reports?

Also, is there anything special I would need to do to the Note 4 if I got it? I hear people talk about Cyanogen mod and I've researched a bit of it, but I still don't entirely know what it is used for.

Sorry, these are probably dumb questions, but as I said I'm kind of new here haha.

Thanks in advance!
    Cyanogen mod is a custom overlay of android, like Samsungs touchwiz or Htc sense. Put it this way. If there were lots of issues with Samsung devices they wouldnt be the number1 android manufacturer. The note line is their top of the line device . I don't know what issues youve read or heard but the few that have occured are a minority. Like any device (ios windows phone and android alike) there will be a few lemons that cause issues (dead screen pixels, battery failure, manufacturing defect). I havent experienced any that are worthwhile. Yes there a few bugs here and there which is common for a brand new device.

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-24-2014 01:21 AM
    Well.. I dont know much about Nokia ... had a couple a few years back .. but since I bought my first Samsung... I wont buy anything else.. I have had all of them actually.. Nokia.. Motorola.. Sony ... iphone... Nothing comes close to Samsung... specially the Note line.. I have had the S3 and S5 and also the Note 3 and now the beauty that is the Note 4 ... so I am all like "go for it" ... not sure about those problems you mentioned... I for one never experienced any of that.. I have only good things to say about Samsung and the Note series in particular... welcome to the club buddy... you gonna have a blast here
    10-24-2014 04:49 AM
    I have yet to heat any significant issue with note 4, if you heard something, please do provide a link so we can check it out.
    10-24-2014 05:09 AM
    Just get the damn thing! You won't regret it. Period.

If you go naked, fine. But I would get at least a slim case to protect it from accidental drops. Cyanogen Mod is custom roms. Unless you plan on rooting, which to me, isn't worth ruining your warranty for.

I've had the Samsung S2, S3, S4, Note 3, and now the Note 4. All worked as intended except the S4. For some reason it just didn't want to hold a data connection but was easily replaced. Build quality is subjective. Some LOVE plastic while others LOVE aluminum. I prefer whatever. As long as the phone works and looks good....I'm good with it.
    10-24-2014 05:57 AM
    Cyanogen mod is a custom rom (operating system) but the mother is still android.. Just like in linux we have ubuntu, kubuntu, debian etc.

I believe in the note 4 the last thing you have to worry about is custom rom you'll regret losing those multi windows capabilities.

Sent from my phone with tapatalk
    10-24-2014 06:34 AM
    If you're new to android I would strongly advise against custom roms and rooting. It is possible to cause irreversible damage. I've been with android for many years and still have not done it. I'll use different launchers if I get bored but other than that I don't mess with it.

You will love the note 4 in its vanilla state if you're coming from ios. Just give yourself time to get used to all the nuances. It's a much more customizable experience so there will be a small learning curve.

As far as the quality of the phone, this is an amazing device. Period.

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-24-2014 06:59 AM