03-31-2017 10:46 AM
336 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    Now My phone had a problem with focusing and it was fixed with settings and the Meter setting by putting spot.

MY can hear a rattle when I Shake the phone and its clear that its the camera.
    Would Samsung fix this? Did yours rattle when you shook it also?
    05-01-2015 08:17 AM
    Howdy and greetings from Germany,

just found this thread searching for a solution about that focus problem.
    Some wrote the edge wouldn't have this problem.
    I have an edge and don't have this problem, my GF has an edge too and she is facing the same problems mentioned here.
    I'll try the suggestions I read here about reset preferences, deselecting modes, etc. this coming weekend.
    Thanks for those hints in advance

Question: Where can I find the HW-Rev. mentioned in a post few pages back?
    05-08-2015 03:46 AM
    My daughter just came to me with this problem on a Note4 that we got for her yesterday. None of the settings made any difference, so I turned the phone off and slapped it against my palm with the camera hitting the fleshy part of my palm twice, then turned it over and smacked the screen against my palm twice. Viola, problem solved.

Dan
    vdevnani likes this.
    05-09-2015 10:24 AM
    My daughter just came to me with this problem on a Note4 that we got for her yesterday. None of the settings made any difference, so I turned the phone off and slapped it against my palm with the camera hitting the fleshy part of my palm twice, then turned it over and smacked the screen against my palm twice. Viola, problem solved.

Dan
    05-09-2015 12:22 PM
    After "experimenting" with some of the settings on my SGN.IV Camera, I've found that when I manually set the Exposure Value (+2) and Metering Mode (Matrix) the failure to focus or other focusing problems some are experiencing are almost nil. What I've found that when doing indoor shooting (mostly of food and the like) I would experience that camera still trying to focus on the object/subject. And that would mostly be while the Metering Mode is set to Spot. When set to Matrix, the focus is pretty much instantaneous. That's what I've observed with my specific Note.IV's Camera. Of course Your Methods May Vary accordingly so.
    05-09-2015 12:43 PM
    I never would have believed this would work, but I read on another forum where someone posted a similar fix. I have had a Verizon Note 4 since November and I was about ready to give up on it because of the focusing issue. My prior phone was a Note 2 and I loved the camera on it so I was really excited about all of the improvements to the N4 camera, but the focusing problems rained hard on that parade. Early this week, I was seriously thinking about ditching the N4 and Verizon and getting the new Blackberry and going back to TMobile, but something told me to Google "Note 4 focusing issue" and boy was it an eye opener. The fix I read was similar, turn phone off and smack the back side of camera end of phone in palm of your hand at least 6 times, power on and the problem should be fixed and it was however, a second beating might be necessary or at least thats what I read. It focuses instantly now at any distance and I have taken dozens of pics in bright sunlight as well as inside in normal and low light and the pictures are phenomenal. I can't help but wonder if the problem is directly related to the Optical Image Stabilization getting stuck since I read where it is a mechanical process. Either way, the problem is gone and I am content once again with my Samsung phone, but that new BB sure sounds like a neat phone especially for those that love physical keyboards.
    kittymor777 and vdevnani like this.
    05-09-2015 12:49 PM
    Although you may want to keep your stock setup, if you are willing to root, there is a phenomenal ROM that addresses the camera issues in dramatic fashion. Just search Poprocks V3 on XDA. It's a lollipop TW ROM for most variants... Top benefit for me is the fact that my note runs cooler, battery lasts forever, and keeping with the point of this thread, the camera is now epic.

Sent from my Palm Pilot
    05-10-2015 06:20 AM
    Interesting "fix" for camera issues found on the information superhighway; slap and smack?
    05-10-2015 03:48 PM
    I had the same issue with the camera focus and all I did was simple: Exchanged for a new phone under warranty
    05-10-2015 07:21 PM
    I had a focus issue with my original Note 4, it literally took 10-15 seconds before it would focus on anything and shaking it did nothing. I reset all the camera settings and it still didn't work so I tried resetting the phone to factory which didn't fix the issue either. I exchanged the phone (only had it for 12 days) and the new one was perfect. Fast forward 3 months and I'm noticing this one starting to do the same but with a little shake it will focus right away were as this didn't work with the original one. Seems to be a pretty common problem with the camera's in the Note 4. A co-worker with a Note 4 just had to exchange his because when he launched the camera app it would read camera failed... even with a factory reset.
    05-11-2015 01:45 PM
    Son of a gun, shaking the phone worked. Thanks
    05-29-2015 11:29 AM
    OK... I didn't think it would work either but Slapping it on my knee dd it..

Thanks Samsung for another pile of JUNK!!

Time to move on to another Manufacturer ..!
    06-06-2015 09:58 PM
    My note 4 does not focus. Not on anything any further away that 2 feet. I can eventually get it to focus but I should not have to go through holding my hand infront of it and slowly pulling it away to get the thing to focus.
    06-12-2015 09:37 AM
    I am having the same exact problem with my camera. First 5 or 6 months the note 4 rear camera was FLAWLESS. Even with the protective film lens on. I took it off when it was still perfect and a couple weeks later it got blurry. I tried taking focused pics with her on AND off still with no luck. I tried every mode and the same blur happens on snapchat and my camera. Even happens when I'm taking a picture in a lighted room. I've exhausted every possible way to make it better by messing with settings. Please tell me Im not screwed
    06-14-2015 02:34 AM
    Wow I just wrote the longest message and this cite wouldn't even post it. BASICALLY, I've tried all and every suggestion in this thread, and it's still blurry. Please tell me Im not screwed
    06-14-2015 02:37 AM
    I don't know if this is one of the things you've tried already, but if not, try this: holding the phone by the edges in one hand, slap the edge of the phone against the palm of the other hand. It's a low-tech solution that has worked for some folks, so it's worth a try.
    06-14-2015 12:22 PM
    Smack trick worked for me too. Very weird, Nokia phone cameras still seem to be the best experience.
    eljeffe58 likes this.
    06-15-2015 11:15 PM
    I got a Note 4 from Verizon on February 28, 2015. Camera was perfect for a couple of months, but then I started to notice a problem. The first symptom was when taking a photo, the image preview on the screen became extremely wavy prior to taking the shot. It seemed like the actual pictures were OK, so I thought perhaps this was a software issue.

I eventually noticed that my photos were very fuzzy....not exactly out of focus....just fuzzy...as if the camera took two exposures and overlapped them slightly.

Within a few weeks the problem got worse, and that's when I noticed -- the camera itself was emitting a high-pitched buzzing noise that sounds almost exactly like a mosquito. Most of the time this noise wasn't loud enough to hear unless you held the camera right up to your ear. Rarely, the camera would appear to lock focus and the buzzing would stop.

I did lots of research into the problem and eventually found this forum. I tried every recommended fix including slapping the phone on my palm. None work. I then tried a live chat with Samsung. They recommended booting into safe mode. Didn't work. Next they suggested a factory reset. Didn't work. At that point, they asked me to send the phone to them for evaluation (they emailed me a UPS 2-day shipping label with an address in Texas).

It looks like they will either repair the phone or replace it with a new one (either is OK), but sadly it looks like I will be phone-less for about a week. I have numerous old phones sitting around but they were all from T-Mobile and they won't work with my Verizon SIM. Sucks.

Obviously we don't know the exact issue yet, but based on my experience I would say this is 99.99% a problem with the optical image stabilization. The mosquito-like buzzing and the wavy image preview just looked like the lens was vibrating rapidly out of control which seems like it would be related to OIS. It really sucks there isn't a way to disable OIS in the camera's settings as this would be a quick way to troubleshoot the issue.

Anyway, best of luck to everyone else suffering with this problem.
    06-17-2015 11:05 AM
    @DavidS72 - I feel your pain, my T-Mobile Note 4 is doing the exact same thing and I've tried all of the fixes found around this and the XDA forums to no avail. The only temporary remedy I've found is to point the camera straight up in the air to allow the OIS to presumably stabilize better and then the buzzing noise will go away and I can shoot freely for a period of time before the issue either returns or I jump out of the camera mode. Once back into camera mode the issue returns and I have to point the camera upwards again . . I end up looking like a spazz shaking my phone around at events . . Ironically I upgraded from a Nexus 4 to this phone in large part because of the highly rated camera . . I wish this thing didn't have hardware OIS because I fear that at some point the phone will NOT be under warranty and we'll all be sitting on time bombs waiting for the OIS to fail like this.

Please let us know how things go. Since I purchased my T-Mobile variant in order to unlock, root and use on AT&T I'm not sure if I'll go through the process of seeking replacement via warranty exchange though I may tap into my squaretrade warranty at some point.
    06-17-2015 01:14 PM
    muzzy996 - Sorry you're got the same issue. I received an email today saying that Samsung has received my phone, but no diagnosis yet. I'll keep you posted on the result.

But FYI -- as I was considering other options I noticed something -- you can actually buy a replacement Note 4 camera part from Amazon for $20.99 (oops -- I am not allowed to post links here, but just run a search on Amazon for "Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Replacement Camera" and you will see what I am talking about).

Before you laugh, here's a little story -- my previous phone was a Note 2. After about 18 months of ownership, the phone stopped charging from the mini-USB port. It also seemed to lose the ability to transfer files to my PC via USB.

I did some research and found a replacement USB port for the phone on Amazon. I think the cost was something crazy -- like maybe $6? Replacing the port was actually very easy, although it required prying the phone apart and removing a lot of very small screws. The job only took about 10 minutes and the fix worked perfectly.

My point is simply this -- a Note 4 is a pretty damn expensive phone, but the parts are surprisingly cheap (considering how good the camera is when it works, $20 for a new one is just shocking). As my experience with the Note 2 showed, you actually can replace parts on these things relatively easily. So if your phone is out of warranty and you are having camera issues, rather than spending days and weeks searching Internet forums for a fix, I would suggest dropping $20 on a replacement camera and swapping it out. If you think this is beyond your technical skill level, try searching YouTube for a video that shows how to disassemble the phone (I'm sure there are many).
    06-18-2015 01:32 PM
    @DavidS72 - Yeah actually that is a consideration that I have made but when I looked up the teardown procedure to get to the camera I realized that in order to unplug the cable for the camera the motherboard has to be accessed in a way that requires display removal .. I forget the specifics but essentially it was more involved than removing several screws on the back and gaining instant access to the camera module for an easy swap. Gave me reason to pause and think that i'm better off doing a warranty claim with squaretrade.
    06-18-2015 04:53 PM
    wow, I thought I was the only person with this issue, and seeing just now that is is indeed so widespread. wtf, Samsung. quality control.

as others have said just shake the phone and it fixes the issue as long as the phone remains booted. a reboot and you'll have to shake it again. I enough the best way to shake it is to grab it as if you're talking on the phone, and then flick your wrist back and forth violently. can't wait to get a new phone D:

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-18-2015 07:09 PM
    Update -- I just checked Samsung's online repair tracking page and saw this:

6/19/2015 11:24 AM-Jennifer Canizales: The unit has left the technician. SOLUTION: Replaced Component
    *06/18/2015//10:08:55//0001773863//Web Chat//ASC*
    6/18/2015 8:13 AM-Cecilia Garza: Accessory: Battery Cover,Stylus
    *06/18/2015//10:08:55//0001773863//Web Chat//ASC*
    6/18/2015 8:13 AM-Cecilia Garza: The unit has been received. Pack Condition: Fair Packaging (Box & Cushion)

Sounds like they replaced the camera and hopefully are sending back my old phone? It had a nice $30 glass screen protector on it, so I'm happy to get my original unit back. I just wish they didn't make me do a factory reset since now I have to restore everything.

For anyone else having issues with your camera, try turning on the camera and then holding it up to your ear (with the lens facing away from your head). If it sounds like a mosquito buzzing, then you probably have the same issue I did. Slapping the phone may reset the optical image stabilizer (which I suspect is the problem here), but I doubt that's a long term solution. I think the camera probably needs to be replaced, but as noted above this part is actually very cheap (about $20).

I will post a final update when I get my phone back. As for the rest of you guys, good luck!
    06-19-2015 11:57 AM
    Ugh....well it's now Monday and still no phone. I got an email on Friday from Samsung that said they were shipping the phone back via UPS 2-day air. However, the tracking number they sent hasn't been updated since Friday -- it just says that a shipping label has been printed, but it doesn't appear the package has actually been shipped. SO frustrating.

So I have been living without a cell phone for a week now, and honestly, I kind of enjoy the peace and quiet.
    06-22-2015 07:14 PM
    Update - 6/24/2015 -- my phone arrived back via UPS today. They returned my exact phone (the IMEI and serial numbers are the same as my original box). So that's good. I guess I am happy to have my old phone back rather than a refurbished one.

Also interesting -- they included a packing slip which seems to say they replaced THREE parts on the phone, not just the camera. The packing slip lists the following parts:

Part #GH96-07482A - ASSY CAMERA-MODULE 16M AF 1/2.6" SM-N910
    Part #3009-001678 - AUDIO-RECEIVER; 132DB, 2.6, WB, RECTANGLE, 12
    Part #GH96-07542A - ASSY SUB PBA-SUB (SM-N910V); SM-N910V, SUB

Looks like the first item was the camera, but no clue what the other two items were. Audio receiver? Hmm. My phone didn't seem to have any audio issues when I sent it in. Maybe they found another problem during troubleshooting? Or maybe they need to replace those other parts in order to fix this issue? No idea.

One annoying thing -- my phone had a nice ($30-ish) Zagg Invisible Shield glass screen protector on it which was installed by the Costco rep when the phone was new. The screen protector was semi-permanent -- it was stuck to the screen with adhesive....so it wasn't something that you could just snap off and snap back on.

For some unknown reason, Samsung removed the screen protector and sent it back stuck to the outside of a bag containing the stylus and rear cover, but it was otherwise just loose in the brown cardboard shipping box. Because the back of the screen protector was super-sticky, it is now covered with small particles from the box which are embedded in the adhesive. This basically ruined the screen protector. Obviously this is Samsung's fault, so I may try to chase them down and see if they will do something about it. The screen protector came with a lifetime warranty and it says they will replace it as the result of ANY damage, so maybe Samsung's negligence counts as damage?

Oh, final comment -- the camera seems to work fine now. Of course, fingers are crossed that whatever parts they replaced are better quality than the ones that failed.
    06-24-2015 03:34 PM
336 ... 89101112 ...