03-31-2017 10:46 AM
336 ... 23456 ...
tools
    I have a Sprint Note 4 bought from Best Buy last month in November. I had also thought it was the film around the rear facing camera causing blurry pictures, but it was actually a focusing issue. As others have mentioned, close up pictures are fine, but pictures taken 3-4 feet away start to become blurry and the the further away, the blurrier.

I do not have insurance on my phone with Sprint, but took it there anyway and the certified technician informed me that it is a focusing problem. He did a diagnostic test and the A/F feature failed. He assumed that meant auto focus. Sprint tech suggested that I call Samsung, explain my problem, and then they'll ask me to send in the phone. You get a one year warranty from Samsung.

What I did was call 1-888-987-4357, followed the prompts (keeping pressing 1, 0 did not automatically go to actual person). They're going to try to troubleshoot it with you over the phone but I told them, I have reset the camera settings to default, turned my phone on and off, reset my phone to factory settings and the problem still persists. I told them the rear facing camera does not work properly and my pictures still come out blurry.

They'll open a ticket number, email you a UPS shipping label, and you safely pack your phone and send it to them in Texas. It'll take 10 business days so you'll be without a phone, so I suggest having a back up phone to activate in the mean time. Make sure you keep the back cover, battery, stylus, and SD card if you inserted one. Also, you should reset the phone to factory settings as well since they'll be doing that anyway when you get your phone back.

I called and opened a ticket number on 12/15/14. Shipped my phone via UPS on 12/16/14. Samsung acknowledged receiving device on 12/18/14. As of today, 12/22/14, they emailed me saying:

"Please be advised that your Samsung service ticket [XXXXXXXXX] has been placed on a temporary hold due to an unavailable part.

As soon as the part becomes available, your device will be repaired and shipped promptly."

So it is an actual phone part issue. I was hoping they'll send my a new phone, but oh well.
    Thanks for sharing your experience. Please keep us posted on how it goes. I am planning to send mine soon.
    12-22-2014 12:17 PM
    Just before reading this thread, I had been noticing my blurry issue....sure nuff, the protective shipping film was still on it, barely noticeable, but there!
    12-22-2014 08:06 PM
    I have a Sprint Note 4 bought from Best Buy last month in November. I had also thought it was the film around the rear facing camera causing blurry pictures, but it was actually a focusing issue. As others have mentioned, close up pictures are fine, but pictures taken 3-4 feet away start to become blurry and the the further away, the blurrier.

I do not have insurance on my phone with Sprint, but took it there anyway and the certified technician informed me that it is a focusing problem. He did a diagnostic test and the A/F feature failed. He assumed that meant auto focus. Sprint tech suggested that I call Samsung, explain my problem, and then they'll ask me to send in the phone. You get a one year warranty from Samsung.

What I did was call 1-888-987-4357, followed the prompts (keeping pressing 1, 0 did not automatically go to actual person). They're going to try to troubleshoot it with you over the phone but I told them, I have reset the camera settings to default, turned my phone on and off, reset my phone to factory settings and the problem still persists. I told them the rear facing camera does not work properly and my pictures still come out blurry.

They'll open a ticket number, email you a UPS shipping label, and you safely pack your phone and send it to them in Texas. It'll take 10 business days so you'll be without a phone, so I suggest having a back up phone to activate in the mean time. Make sure you keep the back cover, battery, stylus, and SD card if you inserted one. Also, you should reset the phone to factory settings as well since they'll be doing that anyway when you get your phone back.

I called and opened a ticket number on 12/15/14. Shipped my phone via UPS on 12/16/14. Samsung acknowledged receiving device on 12/18/14. As of today, 12/22/14, they emailed me saying:

"Please be advised that your Samsung service ticket [XXXXXXXXX] has been placed on a temporary hold due to an unavailable part.

As soon as the part becomes available, your device will be repaired and shipped promptly."

So it is an actual phone part issue. I was hoping they'll send my a new phone, but oh well.
    I'm going through that process right now and they said the solution was a software update. I'll let everyone know once I get the phone back.
    12-23-2014 12:02 PM
    I returned my phone to at&t store where purchased. I was first directed to their 1-800 warranty line. Because I was within 14 days of purchase, they told me to go back to store for a free swap. That worked and loving my newer Note 4. Had it been an iPhone, they could not have done an in-store swap! Didn't enjoy redownloading apps and personalizing again, but was glad I didnt have to wait on the mail. After 14 days, they would have sent a new phone by mail with label to return the bad one.
    12-26-2014 07:23 AM
    Glad that you got it fixed

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    12-26-2014 07:40 AM
    Just got my phone back from Samsung they said it was just a software update. As soon as i open the camera app is already focused no waiting time. Sucks that i was without a phone for almost 2 weeks, but is all good now.
    12-26-2014 03:15 PM
    I'm having the same problem right now with my 1 week old Note 4. There are no software updates available. Kind of aggravated...i'm within my 14 days..thinking of returning for swap, cuz I CAN"T do without it for 2 weeks!!!

THOUGHT IT WAS THE PROTECTIVE FILM, BUT STILL HAVE ISSUE AFTER REMOVING.
    12-28-2014 12:31 PM
    I'm going through that process right now and they said the solution was a software update. I'll let everyone know once I get the phone back.
    It certainly seems like a software issue. I have the same issue as well and I'm confident an update will resolve it. ...otherwise, really liking the phone.
    H3aTeRzz likes this.
    12-28-2014 01:35 PM
    When I turn my camera on everything is completely blurry for at least a minute before it focuses even on selfie mode no matter what u do I can't get it to focus quicker! Annoying!
    12-29-2014 09:13 PM
    When I turn my camera on everything is completely blurry for at least a minute before it focuses even on selfie mode no matter what u do I can't get it to focus quicker! Annoying!
    Try a quick shake of your phone. That works for me.
    12-30-2014 12:14 AM
    Hello Everyone,

I was able to get a replacement from Bestbuy instead of sending the phone to Samsung for repair. My new phone works well and has no lag issues with the camera. I also noted that the phone was manufactured recently 12/16/2014 and has the latest firmware pre-loaded. The box also shows HW Rev 1.1. I don't remember what it was in my old one but it was manufactured in sometime in November 2014.

I also noticed that the S-Pen is a bit difficult to remove than before. Not sure whether Samsung made some adjustments in hardware between these batches.

Thanks!

Note: This is the T-Mobile Note 4 SM-N910T
    12-30-2014 08:10 AM
    I have to decide whether or not its worth taking the phone back. I still have over a week to decide.
    12-30-2014 08:18 AM
    A lot of the time it could be due to an old memory card. The memory card is to slow to allow for the camera to focus properly. Try removing a memory card if you have one in the phone.
    12-30-2014 01:11 PM
    A lot of the time it could be due to an old memory card. The memory card is to slow to allow for the camera to focus properly. Try removing a memory card if you have one in the phone.
    Interesting.
    12-30-2014 01:43 PM
    I also have this issue, but I've decided not to bother with a replacement/return as I am pretty sure it is software related and will be addressed in a future update.

I don't think this is the main issue as I do not even use a memory card at the moment, but yes, an old or corrupt memory card could delay in the opening time of the camera.
    12-31-2014 01:20 AM
    The box also shows HW Rev 1.1. I don't remember what it was in my old one but it was manufactured in sometime in November 2014.
    Note: This is the T-Mobile Note 4 SM-N910T
    I just looked up my HW Rev and it is MP 0.900.
    12-31-2014 02:06 AM
    If you guys want to use my video as proof just YouTube "T-MOBILE SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE 4 FOCUS PROBLEM". I can't post links because I am new to the forum but hopefully it can help some of you guys out there to show that there is indeed an on going problem right now with some of the Note 4s.
    Thank you for your video! I watched it to see what the issue looks like (I have a Verizon N4). Thankfully I do not. Your video was very well done.
    12-31-2014 06:22 AM
    I was having a similar problem with my note 4. The rear camera would take 5 to 6 seconds to focus. The image would appear blurry but if I waved the camera about a bit, eventually it would focus on my subject. Upon closer inspection I discovered that when I launched the camera app it was focusing at it's shortest depth, so things very close to the lens would be sharp. I could see the focus icon trying to find the subject, but it wouldn't focus at a distance until 5 or 6 seconds had passed. Once it found an object at depth, it would continue to focus fine with no problems, until I restarted the camera app and the whole thing started over again. Interestingly, this problem was across all apps that use the camera.

I was able to resolve the issue by resetting all of my camera settings. Someone in this thread mentioned the camera focus mode being the problem. I actually couldn't find that setting, but resetting them all seemed to resolve the issue. Now, the camera will focus on an object at any depth as soon as I launch the app.
    01-02-2015 11:29 AM
    ^ That does make sense. I think it's a firmware issue or something. I did have my phone replaced and it's totally fine now.

from the IV✒
    H3aTeRzz likes this.
    01-02-2015 11:45 AM
    Went to AT&T Store this morning, got a new N4, the new one has no issues. Thanks AT&T!
    01-02-2015 02:28 PM
    Went to AT&T Store this morning, got a new N4, the new one has no issues. Thanks AT&T!
    Yeahps, me too, they took good care of me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    H3aTeRzz likes this.
    01-02-2015 02:30 PM
    S L O W to initially focus was my Samsung Galaxy Note4 from the T-Mobile store. It might take over a minute to snap into focus unless I rapped the top or side of the phone. I was sure it was a hardware problem, especially after reading many post of folks having the same problem.

But I called the Samsung help line, and got bounced up to the remote service team where a fellow took remote control of my phone and seems to have solved the issue with a camera reset. I'll post again if the symptoms return.

The tech suggests I tell others with this problem, that it might help to just shutdown the phone, and remove battery for 30 seconds. Good luck.
    01-02-2015 04:32 PM
    Hitting "reset settings" in the camera hamburger menu fixed this for me as well. Which isn't to say that for some folks it isn't hardware - but definitely one of the first things I'd recommend trying and then escalating / exchanging hardware if the problem persists.
    01-02-2015 04:58 PM
    it seems the camera won't focus properly. The close up shots are high quality but for the far shots its all blurry. Its not even that far lets say around 4-5 feet and the picture is blurry. I can get sharp focus on objects closer than 3 feet consistently, even in low light.
    other than that the phone runs perfect, anyone know what might be causing this

I was having the same issues with mine. I had disabled Samsung Galaxy App but once I enabled it again I had no issues with focusing anymore. Check to make ur Samsung Galaxy App is enabled.

tmobile version btw
    01-03-2015 12:46 PM
    FIX! I have had this exact problem on my notes for from t-mobile since the day it came out. I have set back two devices all with the same problem. I found that shaking the device will actually cause it to focus almost immediately. Its been about a week since I discovered this, and now I don't have to shake it at all. I think that shaking it causes it to align itself or something of the sort. I hope everybody that's looking for a fix to this see this. Hope this helps!
    01-05-2015 01:47 PM
336 ... 23456 ...