03-31-2017 10:46 AM
336 ... 678910 ...
tools
    Same problem here with the Note 4 camera not focusing, went through all the suggestions from this discussion and others and to no avail. This phone is actually my second Note 4, the first one had the same camera focusing problem but since it was within the 14 days of purchase AT&T exchanged it. This second one seemed to be a little buggy also, but I gave it a chance and it started taking longer and longer to focus. So I just gave in and went online to Samung.com, registered my Note 4 with them and requested service. They ask you for proof of purchase and what the problem is, a ticket number is assigned to you and they send you an email with a free shipping label. Since I live in South Florida my service center was in Texas. I shipped the phone to them (well packaged and w/ NO accessories(bare phone only) on March 10th and received it back FIXED on March 18th, so it took about 7 business days. You can keep track of the repair on their online tracking system. The repair was done in a day and shipped the same day. They actually replaced the back camera module and the front LCD screen and it looks perfect as if no one touched it! Now there is no focusing problem at all; job well done by Samsung repair center in Texas! So if your phone is under warranty just send it to Samsung because its not a software issue; it's HARDWARE!
    03-19-2015 10:28 AM
    Glad I came across this thread. I'm having the same problem. This is a replacement phone as the first one received calls when I wanted to but the camera focused just fine. With the replacement I immediately noticed the difference. But had to make a decision - receive phone calls or take pictures. Alas, armed with this info I'll be heading back to Verizon.
    03-20-2015 12:21 AM
    Hi guys, glad to have found this thread. Not sure if I have a focus problem or not.

I'm trying to take a close-up pic of an insect. I can get a sharp focus down to about 3 inches from the subject. Closer than that, the focusing 'hunts' through a sharp focus and out the other side, but won't stop at the sharp point. I've tried using the different modes and tried zooming, but nothing lets me hold a sharp focus closer than 3 inches.

So the question is, what's the closest your Note 4 will focus?
    03-20-2015 06:41 AM
    Rotating phone to landscape or potrait, and vice versa usually wakes up focusing , but close-ups never lock. May be why Samsung didn't put a macro mode on device????
    I tend to sell my phones when new version is approaching. Having mine repaired would be place it in "owner refurbished" category and devalue price point.
    Bought mine at a Costco in S. Florida and am within 90 day window. I will try my luck if they have gotten any recent shipments at any of the 3 stores nearby.
    03-20-2015 07:19 PM
    Thanks for that. What is the closest you can focus with your Note 4?
    03-21-2015 02:45 AM
    Maybe 4". Tried to take picture of label on son's Motorola gateway and it was hit or miss inside of that
    03-21-2015 08:16 AM
    OK thanks. Looks like mine is normal then.
    03-21-2015 10:18 AM
    haha just noticed mine is still on too!!!
    03-22-2015 12:00 PM
    None of the suggestions in this thread have fixed my cameras focus problem. I'm stuck with the phone though since I rooted it. I do have a Note Edge without this problem and an iPhone 6+ that I can use for pictures. The Note 4 is still one amazing phone even without a camera.
    03-22-2015 12:05 PM

I'm stuck with the phone though since I rooted it.
    Have you tripped Knox?
    If not, why not Odin back to stock firmware, or just unroot as I have been able to do with every AT&T Samsung before my S5 Active or Note 4? Then send to Samsung for repair under warranty. I am unfortunate/unfamiliar with current root methods since I chose to purchase AT&T branded devices, but assume the process can be undone.
    03-22-2015 09:43 PM
    Yes, Knox is tripped. So as the guy stated in the video that I followed when rooting, the warranty is void once that happens. Once Knox is tripped, it can't be undone.

I'm fine with that because I have really started using my Note Edge as my main phone so it is with me everywhere.
    03-23-2015 12:37 AM
    Yes, Knox is tripped. So as the guy stated in the video that I followed when rooting, the warranty is void once that happens. Once Knox is tripped, it can't be undone.

I'm fine with that because I have really started using my Note Edge as my main phone so it is with me everywhere.
    Either way, it's worth a shot to see if they will fix it. Give them a call and see what they tell you!
    03-24-2015 09:41 AM
    solution: turning on the location tag solves the issue
    03-25-2015 12:22 PM
    I love the internet..thanks guys...didn't realize the sticker was still on my camera. LOL
    03-25-2015 03:49 PM
    I figured out a way to fix this problem
    Open the Camera -----------> Select Mode------------> Select Manage Modes------------> deselect all the Modes.
    After I did this I never had the camera focus problem.
    I believe it has to do with the Modes so I'm guessing it's a software problem.
    Anyone else find that this solution work?
    03-26-2015 11:38 PM
    Seems to work with mine. Focuses immediately after deselecting all modes and restarting. Have tried selecting modes one at a time again but can't reproduce glitch. Seems to clear-up camera in all apps that use it. Hopefully this is a permanent fix.
    03-28-2015 09:00 AM
    Am I to understand correctly that the Note 4 Edge does not have this problem??
    03-30-2015 05:17 PM
    Am I to understand correctly that the Note 4 Edge does not have this problem??
    I have the problem on my Note 4 but do not on my Note Edge.
    03-30-2015 07:27 PM
    I have the problem on my Note 4
    After deselecting all modes? Have you tried a different camera app? Have you shot a test target with the phone held firmly in place (a vice or a tripod)?

I can make the best camera in the world focus poorly, and I can make a "25 cent at a yard sale" Kodak Hawkeye focus perfectly. I'm beginning to think this is a combination of the app and user error.
    03-31-2015 06:44 PM
    After deselecting all modes? Have you tried a different camera app? Have you shot a test target with the phone held firmly in place (a vice or a tripod)?

I can make the best camera in the world focus poorly, and I can make a "25 cent at a yard sale" Kodak Hawkeye focus perfectly. I'm beginning to think this is a combination of the app and user error.
    Deselecting all modes, resetting camera settings, you name it, I tried it. No matter what camera app I use, it can take up to five minutes to focus.

My boss is having trouble with the camera on his Note Edge. I just found that out tonight. He's had his for several months now.

It's far from user error.
    04-01-2015 01:44 AM
    I heard somewhere that this problem is only on the first batches of N4, is that right or even newer units can have it?
    04-01-2015 03:28 AM
    See thats where I say NO. I got a Note 3 this time last year, was very excited about how good it was till i started taking low light pics. On some of them I couldn't even recognize myself because the pic was soo oily and warped.

I looked around and decided to go to a Note 2. While the Note 2 is not as fast or sharp or feature packed, it gets the basics right. I can actually focus on a pitch black situation, the camera's flash autofocuses and takes a good pic.

When I heard about the Note 4 and Note Edge, I was soo excited, I actually almost pulled the trigger for an Edge but have decided to wait. Glad I have. Note sure if this autofocus thing happens in the Note Edge but since they use the same camera, I don't have high hopes.

Sad to see that Sammy hasn't gotten better with low light and now focus performance on their flagship phone. Srsly?! you pack 4K and all sorts of junk nobody uses and cant get autofocus and decent low light pics.

Sigh looks like I will be sticking with my Note 2 for a while longer. Hopefull their is an Note Edge 2 with a better camera next fall
    04-01-2015 11:18 PM
    Deselecting the modes seems to have worked for me. Of course I have to tap the object I want to focus on, but at least it changes the focus instead of the circle showing and nothing happening. Hopefully a patch will be issued during the next update
    04-03-2015 07:01 PM
    Well for me this Camera focus problem is really annoying . All the solutions mentioned here (tapping on the top, shaking the phone, deselecting all the modes, reset settings or clearing cache) seem to be a temporary solution. If my phone is inactive for a long time say more than 2 hours or overnight, the problem continues to exist. My phone is 3 months old and right now in process of writing emails to Samsung and describing the problem. It seems they are not yet aware of this issue. I am doubt if the lollipop update or firmware update will resolve this issue. Please update if anyone has found a permanent fix for this problem other than replacing the phone .
    04-08-2015 04:32 PM
    Go to Settings
    Navigate to the Applications and click on Manage Applications .
    Select All and look for the camera application.
    Clear data and Force stop .

Your camera should now be able to auto focus on next start.
    04-10-2015 10:20 PM
336 ... 678910 ...