Note 4 Camera/Focus Problem

Melaza

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Just got my phone back from Samsung they said it was just a software update. As soon as i open the camera app is already focused no waiting time. Sucks that i was without a phone for almost 2 weeks, but is all good now.

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same problem right now with my 1 week old Note 4. There are no software updates available. Kind of aggravated...i'm within my 14 days..thinking of returning for swap, cuz I CAN"T do without it for 2 weeks!!!

THOUGHT IT WAS THE PROTECTIVE FILM, BUT STILL HAVE ISSUE AFTER REMOVING.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm going through that process right now and they said the solution was a software update. I'll let everyone know once I get the phone back.

It certainly seems like a software issue. I have the same issue as well and I'm confident an update will resolve it. ...otherwise, really liking the phone.

kbart8

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
When I turn my camera on everything is completely blurry for at least a minute before it focuses even on selfie mode no matter what u do I can't get it to focus quicker! Annoying!

dmitri_sc

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
Hello Everyone,

I was able to get a replacement from Bestbuy instead of sending the phone to Samsung for repair. My new phone works well and has no lag issues with the camera. I also noted that the phone was manufactured recently 12/16/2014 and has the latest firmware pre-loaded. The box also shows HW Rev 1.1. I don't remember what it was in my old one but it was manufactured in sometime in November 2014.

I also noticed that the S-Pen is a bit difficult to remove than before. Not sure whether Samsung made some adjustments in hardware between these batches.

Thanks!

Note: This is the T-Mobile Note 4 SM-N910T

jedwards727

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
A lot of the time it could be due to an old memory card. The memory card is to slow to allow for the camera to focus properly. Try removing a memory card if you have one in the phone.

kitersin

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I also have this issue, but I've decided not to bother with a replacement/return as I am pretty sure it is software related and will be addressed in a future update.

A lot of the time it could be due to an old memory card. The memory card is to slow to allow for the camera to focus properly. Try removing a memory card if you have one in the phone.

I don't think this is the main issue as I do not even use a memory card at the moment, but yes, an old or corrupt memory card could delay in the opening time of the camera.

rabernet

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
If you guys want to use my video as proof just YouTube "T-MOBILE SAMSUNG GALAXY NOTE 4 FOCUS PROBLEM". I can't post links because I am new to the forum but hopefully it can help some of you guys out there to show that there is indeed an on going problem right now with some of the Note 4s.

Thank you for your video! I watched it to see what the issue looks like (I have a Verizon N4). Thankfully I do not. Your video was very well done.

dan vallentyne

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
I was having a similar problem with my note 4. The rear camera would take 5 to 6 seconds to focus. The image would appear blurry but if I waved the camera about a bit, eventually it would focus on my subject. Upon closer inspection I discovered that when I launched the camera app it was focusing at it's shortest depth, so things very close to the lens would be sharp. I could see the focus icon trying to find the subject, but it wouldn't focus at a distance until 5 or 6 seconds had passed. Once it found an object at depth, it would continue to focus fine with no problems, until I restarted the camera app and the whole thing started over again. Interestingly, this problem was across all apps that use the camera.

I was able to resolve the issue by resetting all of my camera settings. Someone in this thread mentioned the camera focus mode being the problem. I actually couldn't find that setting, but resetting them all seemed to resolve the issue. Now, the camera will focus on an object at any depth as soon as I launch the app.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
^ That does make sense. I think it's a firmware issue or something. I did have my phone replaced and it's totally fine now.

from the IV✒

bperigo

Jan 2, 2015
Visit site
S L O W to initially focus was my Samsung Galaxy Note4 from the T-Mobile store. It might take over a minute to snap into focus unless I rapped the top or side of the phone. I was sure it was a hardware problem, especially after reading many post of folks having the same problem.

But I called the Samsung help line, and got bounced up to the remote service team where a fellow took remote control of my phone and seems to have solved the issue with a camera reset. I'll post again if the symptoms return.

The tech suggests I tell others with this problem, that it might help to just shutdown the phone, and remove battery for 30 seconds. Good luck.

heathersimon

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Hitting "reset settings" in the camera hamburger menu fixed this for me as well. Which isn't to say that for some folks it isn't hardware - but definitely one of the first things I'd recommend trying and then escalating / exchanging hardware if the problem persists.

Bradley C

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
it seems the camera won't focus properly. The close up shots are high quality but for the far shots its all blurry. Its not even that far lets say around 4-5 feet and the picture is blurry. I can get sharp focus on objects closer than 3 feet consistently, even in low light.
other than that the phone runs perfect, anyone know what might be causing this

I was having the same issues with mine. I had disabled Samsung Galaxy App but once I enabled it again I had no issues with focusing anymore. Check to make ur Samsung Galaxy App is enabled.

tmobile version btw

Chops1904

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
FIX! I have had this exact problem on my notes for from t-mobile since the day it came out. I have set back two devices all with the same problem. I found that shaking the device will actually cause it to focus almost immediately. Its been about a week since I discovered this, and now I don't have to shake it at all. I think that shaking it causes it to align itself or something of the sort. I hope everybody that's looking for a fix to this see this. Hope this helps!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance