Note 4 Camera/Focus Problem

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
None of the suggestions in this thread have fixed my cameras focus problem. I'm stuck with the phone though since I rooted it. I do have a Note Edge without this problem and an iPhone 6+ that I can use for pictures. The Note 4 is still one amazing phone even without a camera.

bluetoothless

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm stuck with the phone though since I rooted it.

Have you tripped Knox?
If not, why not Odin back to stock firmware, or just unroot as I have been able to do with every AT&T Samsung before my S5 Active or Note 4? Then send to Samsung for repair under warranty. I am unfortunate/unfamiliar with current root methods since I chose to purchase AT&T branded devices, but assume the process can be undone.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Yes, Knox is tripped. So as the guy stated in the video that I followed when rooting, the warranty is void once that happens. Once Knox is tripped, it can't be undone.

I'm fine with that because I have really started using my Note Edge as my main phone so it is with me everywhere.

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Yes, Knox is tripped. So as the guy stated in the video that I followed when rooting, the warranty is void once that happens. Once Knox is tripped, it can't be undone.

I'm fine with that because I have really started using my Note Edge as my main phone so it is with me everywhere.

Either way, it's worth a shot to see if they will fix it. Give them a call and see what they tell you!

xfinity1523

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I figured out a way to fix this problem
Open the Camera -----------> Select Mode------------> Select Manage Modes------------> deselect all the Modes.
After I did this I never had the camera focus problem.
I believe it has to do with the Modes so I'm guessing it's a software problem.

Anyone else find that this solution work?

moflytier

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Seems to work with mine. Focuses immediately after deselecting all modes and restarting. Have tried selecting modes one at a time again but can't reproduce glitch. Seems to clear-up camera in all apps that use it. Hopefully this is a permanent fix.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I have the problem on my Note 4
After deselecting all modes? Have you tried a different camera app? Have you shot a test target with the phone held firmly in place (a vice or a tripod)?

I can make the best camera in the world focus poorly, and I can make a "25 cent at a yard sale" Kodak Hawkeye focus perfectly. I'm beginning to think this is a combination of the app and user error.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
After deselecting all modes? Have you tried a different camera app? Have you shot a test target with the phone held firmly in place (a vice or a tripod)?

I can make the best camera in the world focus poorly, and I can make a "25 cent at a yard sale" Kodak Hawkeye focus perfectly. I'm beginning to think this is a combination of the app and user error.
Deselecting all modes, resetting camera settings, you name it, I tried it. No matter what camera app I use, it can take up to five minutes to focus.

My boss is having trouble with the camera on his Note Edge. I just found that out tonight. He's had his for several months now.

It's far from user error.

Cool Jeff

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I heard somewhere that this problem is only on the first batches of N4, is that right or even newer units can have it?

edo101

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
See thats where I say NO. I got a Note 3 this time last year, was very excited about how good it was till i started taking low light pics. On some of them I couldn't even recognize myself because the pic was soo oily and warped.

I looked around and decided to go to a Note 2. While the Note 2 is not as fast or sharp or feature packed, it gets the basics right. I can actually focus on a pitch black situation, the camera's flash autofocuses and takes a good pic.

When I heard about the Note 4 and Note Edge, I was soo excited, I actually almost pulled the trigger for an Edge but have decided to wait. Glad I have. Note sure if this autofocus thing happens in the Note Edge but since they use the same camera, I don't have high hopes.

Sad to see that Sammy hasn't gotten better with low light and now focus performance on their flagship phone. Srsly?! you pack 4K and all sorts of junk nobody uses and cant get autofocus and decent low light pics.

Sigh looks like I will be sticking with my Note 2 for a while longer. Hopefull their is an Note Edge 2 with a better camera next fall

Kevin Taylor6

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Deselecting the modes seems to have worked for me. Of course I have to tap the object I want to focus on, but at least it changes the focus instead of the circle showing and nothing happening. Hopefully a patch will be issued during the next update

AaWind

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Well for me this Camera focus problem is really annoying :-X. All the solutions mentioned here (tapping on the top, shaking the phone, deselecting all the modes, reset settings or clearing cache) seem to be a temporary solution. If my phone is inactive for a long time say more than 2 hours or overnight, the problem continues to exist. My phone is 3 months old and right now in process of writing emails to Samsung and describing the problem. It seems they are not yet aware of this issue. I am doubt if the lollipop update or firmware update will resolve this issue. Please update if anyone has found a permanent fix for this problem other than replacing the phone ;).

AndroidSG39

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Go to Settings
Navigate to the Applications and click on Manage Applications .
Select All and look for the camera application.
Clear data and Force stop .

Your camera should now be able to auto focus on next start.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catherinediane