Note 4 Camera/Focus Problem

Dahlia Holmes

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
I just got the Galaxy Note 4 and I have been having focusing problems. Took off the film didn't change it. I found that the only thing that works is finding a close up object, hand, face, white paper with writing, point it at that, when it locks and focuses, you can point it anywhere after that and get a very sharp picture, even 2 inches away. For close up (4" and below) just change the angle of the camera and it will focus. See Example 20150410_115155.jpg20150410_115253.jpg

mnermis

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
I had the same Note 4 camera Problem. I Search the Web to solve this. i went to samsung and told Them to change My Phone and they Said no.
Today ı recognized that, after put OFF the cover of the phone, the Problem was resolved. That s all

SherriJones

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I found the fix here ►forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-4/499322-fix-note-4-camera-focus-problem.html

In the ". . ." Settings, (click on the ... on the camera settings screen and it takes you to more settings) there's an option for "Metering Modes". Simply change this setting to Matrix or Spot, and any time you open the camera up again, after about a second, the focus will set for all-distance shots! In Matrix Mode I find it auto-focuses with a smaller depth-of-field, and Spot a wider one!

Once I found this fix, I set my metering mode to "Spot" and now my camera takes perfect pictures without any focus problems at all.

Good Luck! :)

SherriJones

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I found the fix here ►forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-4/499322-fix-note-4-camera-focus-problem.html

In the ". . ." Settings, (click on the ... on the camera settings screen and it takes you to more settings) there's an option for "Metering Modes". Simply change this setting to Matrix or Spot, and any time you open the camera up again, after about a second, the focus will set for all-distance shots! In Matrix Mode I find it auto-focuses with a smaller depth-of-field, and Spot a wider one!

Once I found this fix, I set my metering mode to "Spot" and now my camera takes perfect pictures without any focus problems at all.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

I'm giving this a try. So far, none of the suggestions have worked in this thread on my T-Mobile Note 4.

562dope562

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem with focus. I went to samsung repair shop and they fixed it. The technician said that most of the tmobile note 4 comes with loose cameras. It took them less than 2 hours.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

So far this appears to be working! This is the only thing that has made my camera focus after just a few seconds.

Neo_ii_Droid

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site

I'll try this out and see how goes it. In fact I'll be experimenting more with the camera. Thanks for the tip!

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
The specific subject above is tricky. You have a thin, close subject surrounded by a relatively distant background. Center-weighted focus sees half close and half distant and gets confused.

With any metering mode, you can give the phone a "hint" as to what you want to focus on by tapping on it on the screen. This will override the focus to resolve that specific spot as clearly as possible. The focus will only last a second or two, but it's a good way to make sure your intended subject is clearly in focus at the cost of throwing everything else off-focus. Press-and-hold the spot for an extra half second and a blue circle will appear to make the spot you are focusing on a little more obvious.

It appears that it's temporarily overriding the camera to "spot focus" and using the spot you tapped on as the center of focus (and the decider in determining light collection / white balance modes).

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

My focus problem is not fixed. Just now it took about 30 seconds to focus as it did before. I can tap away at the screen constantly to try and get it to focus and it will only focus when it is ready. Sometimes it takes up to a minute to focus.

I'm done trying. I have the phone unlocked by T-Mobile and really, it's not my go to phone to take pictures with anyways. I use my Note Edge or iPhone 6+.

yangxihu

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same issue. I want to try your tip. But I don't understand what you did. Can you explain what you did exactly? What do you mean "after put OFF the cover of the phone"? Thanks.

JamesTBurns

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same problem, though it only came after owning the phone for a few months. I had an even worse issue with a TMO GS4 a few years ago...the camera would just be a black screen.

Posted via the Android Central App

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
It's interesting to see that this issue is still recurring for many people. I'm still on my original Note 4, and the camera has been a great performer for me. It is the go to device for my wife and I. It outshines her iPhone by miles.

JamesTBurns

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
When it works, it is the best camera....but now it seems I'm 2 for 2 on buying a Samsung flagship with a defective camera.

cinnamin

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I don't know if this will help with the issue I'm having.when I open my camera to take a picture my camera keeps focusing it goes clear the blurry and so on.i just wait until it's clear then I take the photo.i will try it out and see.

AaWind

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Well I gave my phone to the service center from where I purchased and I got it back after one week. They replaced the camera module and digital focus and the problem is now solved. So as mentioned earlier it was a hardware issue.

James Riley1

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
I tried most of the solutions here and in the end concluded that the focus mechanism just wasn't working. I took it back to Best Buy (7 days after purchase) and they replaced it. New Note 4 camera works great at close distances..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy