Note 4 Camera/Focus Problem

Chocu1a

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
How much faster does it focus now?

Thanks
It focuses immediately. Takes nice clean, crisp images.
Also, with warranty service from Samsung, It took about 1 week total. 2 days for the phone to ship to them, 2-3 days for service(self tracking done on their website), & 2 days to ship back to me.

Methodical2

Dec 18, 2015
Visit site
It focuses immediately. Takes nice clean, crisp images.
Also, with warranty service from Samsung, It took about 1 week total. 2 days for the phone to ship to them, 2-3 days for service(self tracking done on their website), & 2 days to ship back to me.

Great and thanks. I talked to Samsung yesterday and they sent me a shipping label. I tried all their tricks and it still takes up to 20 seconds to focus.

Just an FYI to the ATT customer who posted above. ATT was willing to do a warranty replacement, however, they did not have any Note 4s and offered me the Note 5, but I declined because I feel it's a step backward. If they'd offered the 64gb or or higher phone I may have taken the offer. One of the main reasons I like the Note 4 was because I could expand storage.

Chocu1a

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
Just an FYI for you, during the camera replacement process, they also replaced my front camera, home button/fingerprint scanner, and digitizer/screen.
So, basically a new phone, minus the frame.

Domindi

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
Well this is hilarious...spent the whole trying to solve this issue....factory reset...change the settings....reset the settings...took out the sd card...cleared cache etc...Then finally threw caution to the wind and decided to just follow the caveman theory and turn it off slap the camera twice with my palm heel and twice on the screen. Lo and behold problem solved...

srvctec

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Best phone I've ever had as well- got mine in July of last year and the camera was perfect for a couple of months. Then it started not focusing for 15-30 seconds. I found out if I pointed it up and tapped the top of my phone, it would focus. I automatically do that most of the time now just to make sure it starts focusing right away. I'll just keep doing that since there's no way I want to send it in and may or may not have the issue permanently fixed.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
IMO it's the optical image stabilization. Think about it, you've got a tiny lens that you have to stabilize . . how do you do it? . . you control it's vibration by stabilizing it with magnetic fields. At the same time you have to focus things, how do you do that? Probably by magnetism too. Problem is, miniaturized as it is the quality and durability of this thing is hard to accomplish consistently. Pointing the phone up or smacking it around can temp fix the issue but really it's something physical in the lens/camera module that eventually gets so bad nothing helps.

Eskimoice

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
You saved me so much heart ache by just shaking phone. I had just got a replacement Sprint note 4 less than a week ago and my camera would take almost 1-2 minutes to focus. I created account just to say thanks.

roheasy

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I have the same issue mine is from t-mobile I just give it a shake or twist my wrist it seems to work

Posted via the Android Central App

k3u

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
I forgot to mention that this issue is not repairable and the best way to remedy this problem is to get your phone either replaced within the 14 days remorse period or do a warranty exchange (most of the time it is a refurbished device).

Here's my video that I made a couple years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byhxDVn6Rxo

RVdave

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I had this same focusing problem and tried changing the focus mode to SPOT with mixed results...sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. I discovered that when I enabled HDR the problem frequently returned, and later discovered that the HDR mode seems to disable SPOT focusing. So, if the SPOT fix didn't work for you, try turning HDR off, which will re-enable SPOT. Good luck

Ananta Ghosh

Sep 13, 2016
Visit site
Hey! I have s6. I had the same problem before because s6, note 4, note edge have same stupid kind of camera sensor. One day I just suddenly shaked my phone when my camera was opening and it worked!! I tried it many times and now my camera is able to focus. I know its kinda weird !:)

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Hey! I have s6. I had the same problem before because s6, note 4, note edge have same stupid kind of camera sensor. One day I just suddenly shaked my phone when my camera was opening and it worked!! I tried it many times and now my camera is able to focus. I know its kinda weird !:)
That's probably what happened to mine. The camera didn't focus unless I shook it for the first six months. One day it started to work seemingly all on it's own and it's been working great ever since. It probably got fixed when I smacked it on the palm of my hand as hard as I could.

Counselor1

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
This change metering mode "fix" does not fix my Note 4 focus problem. Does anyone have a definitive answer to whether most such malfunctions are hardware or software caused? If the latter, a Samsung update would be helpful!

Sparker_longuyland

Mar 31, 2017
Visit site
I have the ATT Note 4 and experienced the canera focus issue. I like to fiddle with things quite a bit when they're not working and I noticed that if you tap the screen but hold your finger there for 1 to 3 second the focus circle turns blue and the camera instantly focuses on where you touched.

Sparker_longuyland

Mar 31, 2017
Visit site
I solved my problem with the focus by tapping and holding the area your trying to snapshot for 1 to 3 seconds. The focus circle that appears changes color and saids Focus/Exposure while the camera immediately focuses crystal clear. I have no idea what this is actually doing but if this solves your problem you do not have a hardware issue, obviously.