Thinking about new SMS app for new Note 4.....opinions?

skittlepop

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
I've been a long time Handcent user on my S3, but thinking about switching it up and trying new app for new phone. Before you ask why, why not? ;) After reading a few threads and articles I'm choosing between Textra and EvolveSMS. Any opinions on these or other strong recommendations? Thanks!

zeuswsu

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
Re: Thinking about new SMS app for new N4.....opinions?

I like textra because it doesn't have a ton a needless options. It just works. I made the switch from handcent a couple months ago after my mms messages wouldn't go to certain people.

Brandwin

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site

I was using Hadcent since last Friday, but I switched to Hello yesterday and I really like it a lot. I think I’ll stick with it. Very sleek.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

I Have tried many over the years....... stock, go sms pro, chomp, handcent and for one reason or another have changed due to things I didn't like (can't recall all the reasons) I have been using Google Hangouts now for awhile and it works good for me, I just wish there were a little more customization!

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Handcent for years but it stopped working. Been on chompSMS for about a year. Lots of customization without a huge footprint. I love it.

I Have tried many over the years....... stock, go sms pro, chomp, handcent and for one reason or another have changed due to things I didn't like (can't recall all the reasons) I have been using Google Hangouts now for awhile and it works good for me, I just wish there were a little more customization!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I use ChompSMS. I use it on all my Android devices .. I love the quick reply and the customization. Plus it is fast.

Racing24

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

The new Google Messenger app works well. It's fluid, looks modern and performs flawlessly on this beast.

Posted via the Android Central App

dehvokahn

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site

Another vote for ChompSMS - been using them for years on various devices. Love the customization options without extra bloat.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

Handcent for years but it stopped working. Been on chompSMS for about a year. Lots of customization without a huge footprint. I love it.

I use ChompSMS. I use it on all my Android devices .. I love the quick reply and the customization. Plus it is fast.
Been a long time since I used Chomp....sounds like it may have changed a lot and I might just have to try it again! Thanks!

ecs180

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site

Really enjoy hello sms in permanent night mode. Also added pics for my friends.

Punker1234

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
I also use Textra as it's simple and has a clean interface while still having some good options with it.

But the real question is, why doens't android produce a better quality app? I understand that android is about options and letting us choose, but something that is used probably more than any other app on most individuals phone, it seems like they don't dedicate a lot of time.

Last edited:

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Textra is what I use on my devices. Simple and clean with enough features for me, it was created by the same person that created Chomp Sms.

Punker1234

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Kind of silly question, but does anyone make something similar to iOS texting? Thats probably the only thing I missed about iOS. It seemed no matter what the video size or image, it always converted it and allowed it to send. Never any failed sent messages or oddball group text issues. Maybe that was just iMessage and not sms? Still don't know how that works...

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Kind of silly question, but does anyone make something similar to iOS texting? Thats probably the only thing I missed about iOS. It seemed no matter what the video size or image, it always converted it and allowed it to send. Never any failed sent messages or oddball group text issues. Maybe that was just iMessage and not sms? Still don't know how that works...

That is kind of a different thing. These apps just give different functions / looks on the phone... whereas iOS messaging (iMessage) is a service hosted by Apple. When you text on Android it has to go through SMS (text) or MMS (pics/vids) and that goes through your carrier...therefore they compress it a bunch. With iMessage it goes through your data (versus MMS via your carrier) and is sent to Apple's servers .. which then send it to the other iMessage user and they don't have it compress as much.

Punker1234

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
That is kind of a different thing. These apps just give different functions / looks on the phone... whereas iOS messaging (iMessage) is a service hosted by Apple. When you text on Android it has to go through SMS (text) or MMS (pics/vids) and that goes through your carrier...therefore they compress it a bunch. With iMessage it goes through your data (versus MMS via your carrier) and is sent to Apple's servers .. which then send it to the other iMessage user and they don't have it compress as much.

I actually thought that thats how it worked, so good to confirm. However, being google and who they are, you would have thought this features would have been duplicated unless there is some patent infringement. I'd beg them for a service like this, because it does seem like rough waters when it comes to MMS on Android. Maybe thats my perception, but if I want one thing to be hassle free, it would be texting. Is Google Hangouts supposed to be the iMessage copy?

Regardless, I could never go back to iOS so i've dealt with it. I know there are apps like that, such as Whats App, but everyone isn't using them, defeats the purpose, yes?