Hi guys,

I'm kinda seeing some lag when trying to access the MultiTasking list of recent apps. It seems that it takes a couple of seconds between the keypress and the actual list. Same thing when selecting an app.

I'm using T-Mobile's version of the phone, in case that makes any difference, but I was wondering if others were noticing this as well.

So far it's the only lag I've seen with this phone hehe even still running TouchWiz :P But it can get annoying.
    10-24-2014 11:51 AM
    I see the same thing on an AT&T Note 4. To me it is glaringly obvious since everything else seems so fast.

Some have suggested it is because the recents button can be long-pressed for menu. But the home button can be long-pressed for Google Now and that isn't slow. S-Voice was a double press on home so I can see how disabling that helps (and I did disable it).

But the app switcher is def slow. I use the Active Apps widget and it is very fast. I wish we could change to another app switcher for the recents button.

Mike
    10-24-2014 12:31 PM
    Sad. I guess TouchWiz HAS to have lag somewhere or it's not happy, huh? haha
    10-24-2014 03:46 PM
    Hi guys,

I'm kinda seeing some lag when trying to access the MultiTasking list of recent apps. It seems that it takes a couple of seconds between the keypress and the actual list. Same thing when selecting an app.

I'm using T-Mobile's version of the phone, in case that makes any difference, but I was wondering if others were noticing this as well.

So far it's the only lag I've seen with this phone hehe even still running TouchWiz :P But it can get annoying.
    The lag is there but it's not bad compared to other lag I have experienced on other Android versions on my GS3. I'm also on Tmo.

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-24-2014 03:53 PM
    Hmm... interesting. I have S-Voice command button disabled (not the app itself) but I definitely use Google Now. I'll maybe try it later and see if that does make a difference. Did you disable S-Voice app or just the home button shortcut to it?
    10-24-2014 04:31 PM
    I sadly also feel the recent apps lag. It's not a predictable .5s delay or whatever either. It's variable and long and every time I wonder if I missed the button. It is frustrating and lots of times I find myself exiting and relaunching the next app instead of using it. Everything else is superb though.
    Verizon btw

SpookDroid likes this.
    10-24-2014 04:39 PM
    Wasn't there an update on one of the networks today fixed this?

Posted via the Android Central App using my Galaxy Note 4 from Sprint
    10-24-2014 06:37 PM
    Just got my Note 4 yesterday, I'm on the T-Mobile network and my phone as been very buggy out of the box in just about all aspects of use. Just sad that a phone with so much hype is not flawless, especially for as much as I paid for it.

robcassman likes this.
    10-24-2014 06:56 PM
    Just got my Note 4 yesterday, I'm on the T-Mobile network and my phone as been very buggy out of the box in just about all aspects of use. Just sad that a phone with so much hype is not flawless, especially for as much as I paid for it.

Maybe you got a bad device? There is no such thing as a flawless smartphone. Mine (Sprint) is nearly flawless. Two main gripes. 1) unfortunately, I am getting that recent button lag... It's noticeable and it bothers me.
    2) This is not the phone's or Samsung' fault but Sprint's fault. And that is the lack of ability to do voice and data simultaneously except when I'm on wifi. I had this on my Sprint Note 3 but since this is a Spark device (which isn't even available in my area... Just regular LTE) I lost the ability to do it.

Other than that... This phone performs marvelously with hardly nigh a hiccup.

10-24-2014 07:11 PM
    I think there's a difference between perfect and flawless. Flawless performance is what I expect out of a device that costs $800. Mine has been buggy and laggy since I fired it up yesterday. My battery has been less than stellar, but I'm trying to condition it so hopefully it will perform better. My HTC one m8 was flawless out of the box and performed without a hiccup. It was not perfect, the camera could have been better, but other than that it was flawless. The note 4 has potential, but my patience will only take me so far.

robcassman likes this.
    10-24-2014 08:12 PM
    I think there's a difference between perfect and flawless. Flawless performance is what I expect out of a device that costs $800. Mine has been buggy and laggy since I fired it up yesterday. My battery has been less than stellar, but I'm trying to condition it so hopefully it will perform better. My HTC one m8 was flawless out of the box and performed without a hiccup. It was not perfect, the camera could have been better, but other than that it was flawless. The note 4 has potential, but my patience will only take me so far.

Is it possible to exchange it?
    10-24-2014 08:44 PM
    Is it possible to exchange it?
    I will be patient and give it a few days, but will return if it doesn't change. Not sure if I will get my M8 back, but will certainly try another Note 4.

Posted via Android Central App
    10-24-2014 09:29 PM
    I will be patient and give it a few days, but will return if it doesn't change. Not sure if I will get my M8 back, but will certainly try another Note 4.

Posted via Android Central App
    Dude just exchange it. You probably got a bad one.

10-25-2014 11:00 AM
    Yup, I'm calling "bad device" here for yours. Mine is not buggy at all except for the Multi-task lag. Battery life has been amazing and I'm even wondering why I even got a spare battery.
    10-25-2014 02:50 PM
    I'm experiencing the lag on my Verizon Galaxy Note 4. The more apps I have running in the background, the worse it is.
    10-25-2014 03:59 PM
    I've noticed the lag. It's not a deal breaker.
    10-25-2014 04:03 PM
    Same. Laggy. Verizon here. I use Nova launcher too. doesn't matter...
    11-22-2014 03:15 PM
    I have lag on multitasking too. And I also am wondering why I bought a spare battery! Battery life on the 805 and fast charging is awesome! (att note 4, lag on nova and tw). But not a deal breaker by any means.
    11-22-2014 08:29 PM
    Same here. Note 4 on Verizon. Doesn't get to me. Hopefully it will be fixed within the next update.

11-22-2014 08:45 PM
    I have the AT&T Note 4, I set up my device on developer mode to the animation to 2.0. Everything is smooth. I also disabled S-Voice and I am using Ok Google.
    justmikey likes this.
    11-22-2014 09:56 PM
    I love my phone but I honestly have a lot of lag on mine. Not sure what's causing it either. When even when I first got it I noticed it lagged almost as much as my note 2 which I had just switched from. It frustrated me but I was soo happy to have the phone I didn't do anything. Now a month later it's becoming very irritating as part of the joy of having a new phone is the benefit of it being faster than the one before. However mine lags a lot and seems to run very slow. Contemplating factory resetting it to see if that would help but starting from scratch is also another hassle I don't have time for 2 weeks before finals.
    11-23-2014 01:38 AM
    I have the AT&T Note 4, I set up my device on developer mode to the animation to 2.0. Everything is smooth. I also disabled S-Voice and I am using Ok Google.
    This is generally accepted to be the opposite of the recommended settings. You are setting the animations to take 2x as long as designed to take. Most set the animations to 0.5 and it is snappy. Of course whatever makes you happy.

Yes, to an earlier poster, there is a firmware update that is reported to completely eliminate the lag on the recent apps button. However, as part of the BS that is the update system in the US, we likely will never see it. Manufacturer releases to carrier, who then releases it maybe, blah, blah. My personal bet is that any fixes that were part of the 2(!!!!!) firmware updates thus far released internationally will be worked into the lollipop update here in the US.
    11-23-2014 03:22 PM
    This is generally accepted to be the opposite of the recommended settings. You are setting the animations to take 2x as long as designed to take. Most set the animations to 0.5 and it is snappy. Of course whatever makes you happy.

Yes, to an earlier poster, there is a firmware update that is reported to completely eliminate the lag on the recent apps button. However, as part of the BS that is the update system in the US, we likely will never see it. Manufacturer releases to carrier, who then releases it maybe, blah, blah. My personal bet is that any fixes that were part of the 2(!!!!!) firmware updates thus far released internationally will be worked into the lollipop update here in the US.
    Idk, I tried 0.5 and it didn't feel smooth compared to 2.0, where it's actually smooth

11-23-2014 11:53 PM
    Idk, I tried 0.5 and it didn't feel smooth compared to 2.0, where it's actually smooth

It may be smooth.... But it is slower. I used to think (years ago) that 2x meant two times faster. However, it is 2x the amount of time it takes to complete the transition and animation.

I have mine set to 0.5. It feels faster this way. Maybe not smoother since the animations are shorter, but definitely faster.

Having it at 2x gives the the iOS effect: a slower smooth animation that takes away time from that white loading screen appearing, giving the impression of a smoother and faster performance.

11-24-2014 12:04 AM
    I've noticed the same lag and haven't found any resolitions.
    11-24-2014 12:48 AM