11-09-2015 12:33 AM
236 ... 45678 ...
tools
    Just got my Note 4 today and it is SLOW! I don't know what to do. Hate to take it back because I have been so psyched about getting it. But it is slower than my old Galaxy S4!! Anyone know why??
    I experienced the same thing as you. Came from a Note 3, pre-ordered note 4, and was so psyched but for me I was so disappointed when the note 4 didn't impress me much and lagged in certain areas. I actually regretted selling my Note 3.

I did return the note 4 for full refund and now rocking the LG G3 and love the g3. No lag so far.

Sent from my LG G3 via Tapatalk
    11-04-2014 12:30 PM
    I experienced the same thing as you. Came from a Note 3, pre-ordered note 4, and was so psyched but for me I was so disappointed when the note 4 didn't impress me much and lagged in certain areas. I actually regretted selling my Note 3.

I did return the note 4 for full refund and now rocking the LG G3 and love the g3. No lag so far.

Sent from my LG G3 via Tapatalk
    That's great!!
    11-04-2014 12:55 PM
    I'm experiencing similar issues with my T-Mobile Note 4. It's very random, because sometimes it performs snappily, and other times it is actually slower than my Galaxy S4. I see a lot of lag when moving between apps occasionally, however my worst issue is dealing with the keyboard. I had initially been using google keyboard and would see a noticeable lag that affected accuracy, so I switched to the stock keyboard. The stock keyboard was great for a few days, but is now even worse. It will freeze as I am typing a message, and the words I was typing, it will actually put into the message 2-3 times (forcing me to go back and edit it). It will also experience the same accuracy/lag issues that I had with Google Keyboard.

Another thing I thought was weird was when I tested out ART vs. Dalvik for a few days. I switched to ART and rebooted and waited for it to compile all the apps. However, after this, every time I would reboot the device I would have to wait for it to recompile about 140 apps, every single reboot. Of course, each time this happens it runs down the battery a lot, and the phone would get very hot. So, I eventually switched back to Dalvik. Someone told me that this isn't supposed to happen, and ART is supposed to compile all the apps once, but not on every reboot. So, I'm not sure what's happening. I want to love the device, but now it's too late to return it and so I'm thinking I'll just try to swap it with the retailer.
    I have the exact same keyboard issue as you with freezing and repeating words but ONLY in the Hangouts app. I don't seem to have the issue with any other apps after I changed the transition and animation effects as described in the article I mentioned in my previous post. That article was key to get my phone lag free (except with the crappy Hangouts app).
    11-04-2014 01:11 PM
    Instead of turning animations off or lower, put them at 2... makes the phone feel alot less laggy since you're letting the apps actually load.

Posted via the Android Central App
    fredwardnelson and bobxxz like this.
    11-04-2014 03:02 PM
    I have the exact same keyboard issue as you with freezing and repeating words but ONLY in the Hangouts app. I don't seem to have the issue with any other apps after I changed the transition and animation effects as described in the article I mentioned in my previous post. That article was key to get my phone lag free (except with the crappy Hangouts app).
    The Hangouts Lag is almost unbearable, I've been using my iPhone 6+ for Hangouts messaging because I can't take the lag on the Note 4 in Hangouts, ironic and sad.
    11-04-2014 07:40 PM
    The Hangouts Lag is almost unbearable, I've been using my iPhone 6+ for Hangouts messaging because I can't take the lag on the Note 4 in Hangouts, ironic and sad.
    It's so weird that Google can't get it right with Hangouts...agreed that it's so much better on iOS (very ironic). Someone told me to try SwiftKey keyboard, so might give that a try to see if it makes any difference on the Note 4 (I use and love the Samsung keyboard).
    11-04-2014 10:26 PM
    I tried turning my animation to 2 and made my screen pinkish and not operate right. Turned it back to zero but stayed the same until I restarted.

11-04-2014 11:44 PM
    Sorry, I am late to this conversation. For the life of me, where is the Developer option to change the animation setting to minimize the lag? What number setting yields the less lag? Thanks.
    11-06-2014 10:00 AM
    Sorry, I am late to this conversation. For the life of me, where is the Developer option to change the animation setting to minimize the lag? What number setting yields the less lag? Thanks.
    It is described at the very end o this article mentioned in a previous post "Galaxy Note 4 Features: What to Enable and Disable" scroll all the way to the last part.
    Sammuel1973 likes this.
    11-06-2014 11:18 AM
    I personally settled on 0.5x for the animations. I didn't like 0.0x
    11-06-2014 04:34 PM
    I set mine to 0. Less lag for sure.
    11-06-2014 09:33 PM
    The most annoying part of the lag for me is in my email account. When I swipe an email to the left, it deletes it. Then if I need to save my next email, but delete the one after that, I'll swipe that email and due to the lagginess of the phone, it'll wind up deleting another email message. I don't remember this much lag out of my Note 3.
    11-15-2014 02:15 PM
    Mine does lag when:

1) I open and close apps many times (I just do it for fun. LOL)

2) open apps for multi window

3) I take a picture.

However, I don't mind about it, because It is still fast compare to my previous phone - iPhone 4s.

11-15-2014 02:42 PM
    If u seeking a lag. U will get one.

Posted via the note 4
    11-16-2014 08:26 AM
    I noticed that with nova most of the lag is gone
    11-16-2014 08:52 AM
    when I first got the phone no issues at all but now that I have nova on, live wall paper and loaded stuff on it. It will lag not only in the menus but even playing simple games. it will pause or freeze. with 3 gigs of ram this crap should not happen.
    11-16-2014 12:38 PM
    when I first got the phone no issues at all but now that I have nova on, live wall paper and loaded stuff on it. It will lag not only in the menus but even playing simple games. it will pause or freeze. with 3 gigs of ram this crap should not happen.
    It's most likely not the phone. It's probably one of the apps you have loaded. It is possible one of them (if not more than one) isn't optimized for the Note 4 yet.
    11-16-2014 03:57 PM
    It's most likely not the phone. It's probably one of the apps you have loaded. It is possible one of them (if not more than one) isn't optimized for the Note 4 yet.
    The Regents menu lags badly pretty much in alum as cases. Ops switching less so, but there. Not soup related.

Besides why would apps need to be "optimized for the Note 4"? Nor will they be, except for stylus and multi window support, at most.

Doesn't necessarily make this a show stopper -- folks will have to decide on the tradeoffs -- but let's not be blind to the downsides of this phone.
    11-17-2014 04:29 PM
    The Note 4 does lag, but that also really depends on what your definition of lag is. The lag is apparent but it's not as bad as some people would exaggerate. I also own an iPhone 6+ and it has it's own fair share of lag as well, especially when viewing having multiple tabs open on websites and launching some apps. As for Hangouts on the Note 4, I don't really see the lag.

Both devices also crash randomly on some apps so I don't really think it is the fault of the device or the OS, just app developers needing to build stable apps!
    jerseygirl likes this.
    11-17-2014 05:00 PM
    The Regents menu lags badly pretty much in alum as cases. Ops switching less so, but there. Not soup related.

Besides why would apps need to be "optimized for the Note 4"? Nor will they be, except for stylus and multi window support, at most.

Doesn't necessarily make this a show stopper -- folks will have to decide on the tradeoffs -- but let's not be blind to the downsides of this phone.
    Not every app was compatible with the Note 4 when it came out. I'm not a dev, so I can't tell you if it is due to the screen size, slightly different code, or what. All I know is, they weren't all compatible.

Between that, the subjective issue of lag, and not knowing what OP installed on his phone, it was a perfectly reasonable suggestion.

I'm not "blind to the downsides" of this phone. It's an electronic device, not a cure for cancer.
    11-17-2014 05:25 PM
    Between that, the subjective issue of lag, and not knowing what OP installed on his phone, it was a perfectly reasonable suggestion.
    Agreed that empirically measurable, consistent, and common is the best kind of point on this. To that end, it's hard to argue there isn't a second+ lag on bringing up the Recent Apps. And that's a basic and common function of the phone/OS.

Not cancer, nor the cure for it. Just a factor in evaluating the phone. And a deserved point of shame for TouchWiz designers.
    11-17-2014 06:03 PM
    Agreed that empirically measurable, consistent, and common is the best kind of point on this. To that end, it's hard to argue there isn't a second+ lag on bringing up the Recent Apps. And that's a basic and common function of the phone/OS.

Not cancer, nor the cure for it. Just a factor in evaluating the phone. And a deserved point of shame for TouchWiz designers.
    I don't argue it. I just don't see it on my device, even with the recent apps button.
    11-17-2014 06:43 PM
    I don't argue it. I just don't see it on my device, even with the recent apps button.
    The same, fortunately. I'm not noticing any lag myself.

I wonder if the lag on some devices has to do with where they were manufactured, what carrier they're on (ie carrier bloat), or a combination of the two.
    11-17-2014 07:21 PM

I wonder if the lag on some devices has to do with where they were manufactured, what carrier they're on (ie carrier bloat), or a combination of the two.
    I suspect some combination of those.
    11-17-2014 07:26 PM

I suspect some combination of those.
    Intrigued... may be, but would be very surprising...

So when you press the Recent Apps button (capasitive key left of home button), it's consistently instant (~0.25 seconds, not 1+)? I mean throughout the day (repeating one after another caches the list so becomes deceptively fast)? Would be curious. Thanks.

If so, what carrier? Mine is stock Verizon.
    11-18-2014 11:08 AM
236 ... 45678 ...