Is it just me or... does the Note 4 lag?

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Ideally, the phone fits naturally into your thought/actions. Lag takes you out of the flow. It's jarring. And the Recents list on the Note 4 is certainly just that. It's supposed to be instantaneous. Jump back and forth between your last couple apps.

As it is, it takes 0.5-2.0 seconds. Intuitively, a reminder that something is off every time I use it. :(

It's not the end-all, of course, but it is a very real pain point in using this phone.

jdhooghe

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Try this.
-turn off (uninstall if possible) all of the 'bloatware' apps (including Google&Samsung apps)
-make nova launcher your default launcher
-download the app greenify, enable automation (keeps apps running in the background off)
-Uninstaller any un-necessary apps that you don't use

I thought greenify was only available if you were rooted?

jdhooghe

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Well, i just had a coffe with my friend and i had the seen the new IPhone 6, i don't know why when i saw it at first i thought is super snappy. I have compared the two devices now and i can say they are almost identical in terms of fluidity and responsiveness. I was thinking the IP 6 was very fast but that wasn't the case. The animations are as slow as on the note 4. I have even disapled the motion on the iphone 6 and still not as fast as i thought.

So that did help to make a dicision.

I am keeping my Note 4, the difference in speed and responsiveness is not noticeble enough to exchange the features of the note 4 for the iphone 6 plus.

That's simply my opinion.

Um, what? How do you disable the "motion?" There is animations yes but that is different than lag. I'm not sure what phone you saw but there is no way to disable animations on the iPhone...

skippyg

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Um, what? How do you disable the "motion?" There is animations yes but that is different than lag. I'm not sure what phone you saw but there is no way to disable animations on the iPhone...

isnt there a 3d motion thingy thay iPhone has some sort of 3d perspective?

Posted via the Android Central App

asd14

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
isnt there a 3d motion thingy thay iPhone has some sort of 3d perspective?

Yes, I am sorry, you cannot disable it but you can reduce it. I have done it on my Iphone 5 when IOS 7 came out. It helped being a bit more fluid.

mchi5

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Yeah the camera app on note 4 is driving me nuts.

Wonder if switching to another camera app, like Google own camera app, will make things better

Is it a bad sign that I replace almost every stock app that came with the note 4. .

Stock Samsung messenger - > hangout

Internet->chrome
Email - > Gmail app
Phone - > wish I could replace this...

Sent from my new Note 4 via Tapatalk

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
The problem is you shouldn't have to do all of this.

Exactly. Its a monster of a phone with insane specs, and we're being asked to do what we had to 4 years ago to make it run better?

For comparison, none of this is needed on LG or HTC phones, both of which also have em skins, or on Sony/Motorola, which have skins but much closer to stock. Its only TouchWiz that is the problem.

Snake Griffin

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I had a Galaxy S3, Note 2 and tried Note 4 in stores, and TouchWiz will always lag. Putting a AOSP rom makes things a LOT better, but of course that's no solution since they are never 100% stable even if you root/unlock bootloader etc.

Allt he other things like using Nova, reducing animations etc is just like applying band-aid to a major wound, you will stop the bleeding maybe but that's about it. You can't really fix the inherent slowness and inefficiencies in TouchWiz.

That's how I felt as well. Custom ROMs made the GS3 fly but the stability problems would crop up over time and I just got tired of messing with it. I just wanted a device that ran smoothly and just flat out worked.

Couldn't have said it better myself

I did #1 and 2 above, and noticed a markedly increased speed and actually found my battery is lasting longer!

Also/specifically it helps to disable S Voice, this will speed up home key response greatly.

raf66

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
One question for the Nova (or other replacement launchers) folks, if I were to download it, will I lose other functionality? Also, if I DL it and don't like it, is it difficult to switch back or does it mess up the stock launcher settings when I go back?

Sent via Tapatalk on my Samsung Galaxy Note 4

mchi5

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
One question for the Nova (or other replacement launchers) folks, if I were to download it, will I lose other functionality? Also, if I DL it and don't like it, is it difficult to switch back or does it mess up the stock launcher settings when I go back?

Sent via Tapatalk on my Samsung Galaxy Note 4
What functionality are you referring to, like multi window, heart rate sensor, etc?

No you won't lose any functionality. Launchers basically give you a hew home screen and usually a cleaner design. Everything still works the same, and unfortunately alot of Samsung Touchwiz is still underneath so there's no getting around that.

mchi5

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
And note 4. Lags like crap

I counted exactly two seconds, 2 whole seconds, when hitting the multi apps until it actually popped up.

That is insane, and talk about lag. With this specs that is just unacceptable!

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
In 2 weeks Nexus 6 will be out, and I'd expect reviews to focus on its "smoothness", esp. compared it's main Android alernative, the Note4.

To be fair, while there is some minor lag elsewhere, it's mainly the Recents view that's really bad. Unfortunately, that's a a feature that's used a lot in Android. One wpuld think Samsung should be able to fix such a specific pain point (why haven't they).

Last edited:

Verizoned

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
It lags. It's not the end of the world but it IS laggy. The area that bugs me the most is the camera app. click the screen and over a second later you get a picture taken. That's way too big of a delay. Also, recent items is pretty slow at times. :(

Goosty

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
My lag is the recent apps and text messages which seems to be the biggest and most noticeable culprit. I know I could switch to Textra or whatever but I don't want to lost the s voice ability to send texts. I find that aspect of s voice better than sending texts via Google now.

I think the reason so many people are disappointed is when they got their phone it was so snappy now that they have loaded everything it's not quite as good. For me though by far the greatest phone I have ever owned, no contest.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
And note 4. Lags like crap

I counted exactly two seconds, 2 whole seconds, when hitting the multi apps until it actually popped up.

That is insane, and talk about lag. With this specs that is just unacceptable!

I don't think that's necessarily lag, as in the back key being multifunction. I'd personally get pretty annoyed if the multi app bar popped up every time I just wanted to go back a screen in an app I was using. It would be good if there was an option to change the time it takes to pop up, though.

jerseygirl

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I hate to say it but I am getting lag. Most noticeable in this site when swiping to next screen of discussion, white screen lag when opening some apps, and when watching movies it takes a minute to clear out to hd quality. Because I'm on sucky Sprint, my Internet experience isn't great and I HATE that I can't do simultaneous voice n data (except if I use Google dialer). I'm keeping it because I can't go back to my S3 and to change providers is too complicated at this time. So I'm not as ecstatic with my new phone right now as I should be.

jerseygirl

May 18, 2010
Visit site
And yes, I adjusted the animations, disabled bloatware, etc. But why should I have to do that if this processor is faster? I'm not seeing a noticeable 'snappiness' as compared to my S3. Maybe I got a bad phone? Idk....but I'm just venting. Nothing mentioned above is a deal breaker. I'm just not blown away....except for by my awesome food shot photos ;-p

reesh11

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I hate to say it but I am getting lag. Most noticeable in this site when swiping to next screen of discussion, white screen lag when opening some apps, and when watching movies it takes a minute to clear out to hd quality. Because I'm on sucky Sprint, my Internet experience isn't great and I HATE that I can't do simultaneous voice n data (except if I use Google dialer). I'm keeping it because I can't go back to my S3 and to change providers is too complicated at this time. So I'm not as ecstatic with my new phone right now as I should be.
The lag you get from this site may not be your phone. I personally have had a lot of problems with the forums lately from posts not posting to not being able to get on at all thru various apps. Just my experience.

From my smokin' hot Note 4

thatdarnpunk

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
These forums are horrible on phones. There is always a stupid ad popup. Just went over to Mac rumors and noticed people complaining about lag on the 6 plus too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol