Is it just me or... does the Note 4 lag?

lostsoul2

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
when I first got the phone no issues at all but now that I have nova on, live wall paper and loaded stuff on it. It will lag not only in the menus but even playing simple games. it will pause or freeze. with 3 gigs of ram this crap should not happen.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
when I first got the phone no issues at all but now that I have nova on, live wall paper and loaded stuff on it. It will lag not only in the menus but even playing simple games. it will pause or freeze. with 3 gigs of ram this crap should not happen.
It's most likely not the phone. It's probably one of the apps you have loaded. It is possible one of them (if not more than one) isn't optimized for the Note 4 yet.

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
It's most likely not the phone. It's probably one of the apps you have loaded. It is possible one of them (if not more than one) isn't optimized for the Note 4 yet.

The Regents menu lags badly pretty much in alum as cases. Ops switching less so, but there. Not soup related.

Besides why would apps need to be "optimized for the Note 4"? Nor will they be, except for stylus and multi window support, at most.

Doesn't necessarily make this a show stopper -- folks will have to decide on the tradeoffs -- but let's not be blind to the downsides of this phone.

raziel

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
The Note 4 does lag, but that also really depends on what your definition of lag is. The lag is apparent but it's not as bad as some people would exaggerate. I also own an iPhone 6+ and it has it's own fair share of lag as well, especially when viewing having multiple tabs open on websites and launching some apps. As for Hangouts on the Note 4, I don't really see the lag.

Both devices also crash randomly on some apps so I don't really think it is the fault of the device or the OS, just app developers needing to build stable apps!

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
The Regents menu lags badly pretty much in alum as cases. Ops switching less so, but there. Not soup related.

Besides why would apps need to be "optimized for the Note 4"? Nor will they be, except for stylus and multi window support, at most.

Doesn't necessarily make this a show stopper -- folks will have to decide on the tradeoffs -- but let's not be blind to the downsides of this phone.
Not every app was compatible with the Note 4 when it came out. I'm not a dev, so I can't tell you if it is due to the screen size, slightly different code, or what. All I know is, they weren't all compatible.

Between that, the subjective issue of lag, and not knowing what OP installed on his phone, it was a perfectly reasonable suggestion.

I'm not "blind to the downsides" of this phone. It's an electronic device, not a cure for cancer.

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Between that, the subjective issue of lag, and not knowing what OP installed on his phone, it was a perfectly reasonable suggestion.

Agreed that empirically measurable, consistent, and common is the best kind of point on this. To that end, it's hard to argue there isn't a second+ lag on bringing up the Recent Apps. And that's a basic and common function of the phone/OS.

Not cancer, nor the cure for it. Just a factor in evaluating the phone. And a deserved point of shame for TouchWiz designers.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Agreed that empirically measurable, consistent, and common is the best kind of point on this. To that end, it's hard to argue there isn't a second+ lag on bringing up the Recent Apps. And that's a basic and common function of the phone/OS.

Not cancer, nor the cure for it. Just a factor in evaluating the phone. And a deserved point of shame for TouchWiz designers.
I don't argue it. I just don't see it on my device, even with the recent apps button.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't argue it. I just don't see it on my device, even with the recent apps button.

The same, fortunately. I'm not noticing any lag myself.

I wonder if the lag on some devices has to do with where they were manufactured, what carrier they're on (ie carrier bloat), or a combination of the two.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site

I wonder if the lag on some devices has to do with where they were manufactured, what carrier they're on (ie carrier bloat), or a combination of the two.
I suspect some combination of those.

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

I suspect some combination of those.

Intrigued... may be, but would be very surprising...

So when you press the Recent Apps button (capasitive key left of home button), it's consistently instant (~0.25 seconds, not 1+)? I mean throughout the day (repeating one after another caches the list so becomes deceptively fast)? Would be curious. Thanks.

If so, what carrier? Mine is stock Verizon.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Correct. No matter when I do it, I don't have any lag.

I am stock US Cellular. They don't load up with a lot of bloat, and what is loaded is very easily disabled.

I am running Nova prime, S-Voice disabled, Nova settings to lightning fast and dev option animations at 0.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Having said all that, interestingly enough the only place I've been able to see consistent lag is in the TW dialer screen. It takes a second for the contacts to overlay the phone numbers in the recent calls list.

Other than that, I have not been able to find any other places.

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Correct. No matter when I do it, I don't have any lag.

I am stock US Cellular. They don't load up with a lot of bloat, and what is loaded is very easily disabled.

I am running Nova prime, S-Voice disabled, Nova settings to lightning fast and dev option animations at 0.

How come the animations at 0?

I did notice the animations on the Resents last seem particularly long (smooth, so I think as intended, just unnecessarily skew).

It's the one animation seeing I reduced. U have it at 0.5, but the others seem fine at 1.0).

I wonder if that's a taste on Lollipop (reviewers have said the animations are smooth but to heavy). Samsung clearly tried to get a jump on the Lollipop look and feel with the tabbed list.

Or, if Samsung knew there was potential for laziness there, and tried to obfuscate it with a long animation. If so, it only made it worse.

exempli_gratia

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Having said all that, interestingly enough the only place I've been able to see consistent lag is in the TW dialer screen. It takes a second for the contacts to overlay the phone numbers in the recent calls list.

Do you mean for dialer app to start up, or, once up (in default Keypad mode), to switch to Contacts tab? I are some delay on startup, if was not loaded recently. But, switching to Contacts seems quite quick. Will try as couple times more in the future to compare.

Note, I have ~100 contacts, most with pretty basic info, very few with customer images. I can certainly see a longer list or lots of custom images tripping out up.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Do you mean for dialer app to start up, or, once up (in default Keypad mode), to switch to Contacts tab? I are some delay on startup, if was not loaded recently. But, switching to Contacts seems quite quick. Will try as couple times more in the future to compare.

Note, I have ~100 contacts, most with pretty basic info, very few with customer images. I can certainly see a longer list or lots of custom images tripping out up.
When I press the dialer icon, the default screen upon opening is the recent calls and messages screen. Probably due to the fact that I have animations set to 0, the list opens immediately. But the contacts associated with the numbers don't overlay the numbers for 0.5-1.0 seconds.

I don't really consider it as lag I guess. The app opens immediately with no stutter. The contacts just take a split second to overlay after that.

I didn't have the issue on my S4, but I didn't have animations turned off on that phone.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Intrigued... may be, but would be very surprising...

So when you press the Recent Apps button (capasitive key left of home button), it's consistently instant (~0.25 seconds, not 1+)? I mean throughout the day (repeating one after another caches the list so becomes deceptively fast)? Would be curious. Thanks.

If so, what carrier? Mine is stock Verizon.

Yeah, mine is consistently instant. I've never had any real wait on it, especially longer than a second. I don't use Touch Wiz (Nova Prime). I also turned off S-Voice with the double click home button.

Sprint (uninstalled/turned off most Sprint boatware), made in Vietnam.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
BTW, I have to report that some lag developed, contrary to my initial report. When I first got it, it seemed fine. I guess I loaded it up with lots of STUFF as time went on. ;) But I turned off all animations in Developer Options. Put everything back to out-of-the-box quick. Problem solved. Lightning fast.

varunaX

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
i ignored this thread for a long time cause i didnt notice any lag, but after getting hands on with a galaxy S5, i now know what you guys are talking about with the Recent Apps lag. On the S5, pressing the Recent Apps button is instantaneous, scrolling through the apps is instantaneous and selecting any app is instantaneous. This is definitely not the case on the Note 4 as you guys are are all reporting. Im actually disappointed to see this.

dkwon

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
it's not just you, the note 4 lags. i've been using the device over this past week and can say without a doubt that touchwiz still suffers from lag. everyone claiming that it doesnt have any lag likely has little to no experience with a truly lag free phone, or is incapable of noticing. the same logic applies to those saying they can't tell a difference between a 1080p tv vs 720p tv at normal distances. most people can't tell, but there are definitely a lot who can. the note 4 is still fast if you actually consider the time it takes to perform tasks, but it does so with random stutters and hiccups along the way. i've been using a nexus 5 and moto x (2013) for the past year. While the note 4 is faster in terms of speed, the nexus/moto x on kitkat/lollipop performs everything MUCH smoother. The only time i would get any type of stutter from the nexus or moto x was if i were using the phone while installing apps within the background.

every phone seems to have some owners ready to jump up to defend their phone as if their own children were being insulted. please don't take this the wrong way. it's just my objective observation. I still love the note 4 for its beautiful display (amongst other great features) and will likely keep it for a while.

edit: forgot to mention that i'm using nova launcher, and also adjusted animation speeds to 0.5 within developer options. the lag is still there. im going to try switching to ART runtime, hopefully it helps.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
it's not just you, the note 4 lags. i've been using the device over this past week and can say without a doubt that touchwiz still suffers from lag. everyone claiming that it doesnt have any lag likely has little to no experience with a truly lag free phone, or is incapable of noticing. the same logic applies to those saying they can't tell a difference between a 1080p tv vs 720p tv at normal distances. most people can't tell, but there are definitely a lot who can. the note 4 is still fast if you actually consider the time it takes to perform tasks, but it does so with random stutters and hiccups along the way. i've been using a nexus 5 and moto x (2013) for the past year. While the note 4 is faster in terms of speed, the nexus/moto x on kitkat/lollipop performs everything MUCH smoother. The only time i would get any type of stutter from the nexus or moto x was if i were using the phone while installing apps within the background.

every phone seems to have some owners ready to jump up to defend their phone as if their own children were being insulted. please don't take this the wrong way. it's just my objective observation. I still love the note 4 for its beautiful display (amongst other great features) and will likely keep it for a while.

edit: forgot to mention that i'm using nova launcher, and also adjusted animation speeds to 0.5 within developer options. the lag is still there. im going to try switching to ART runtime, hopefully it helps.

Nothing wrong with this and yes some jump to defend rather to quickly and sometimes take it rather personally.

In my experience the only lag I have had is here at AC if there is loads of posts containing pictures it tends to stutter (not sure if this is the app itself or said lag) oh and the Recents is not as quick as it should be. I'm rooted and have a custom ROM & Kernel and whilst its improved its still there slightly.

But as you said overall the Note 4 is a powerhouse and a great device but it should with the specs be much smoother.

But not all pure Android is flawless either, I cast my mind back to the Nexus 5 and my Note 3 (Rooted with X-Note ROM) and the Note 3 was in my experience faster and smoother, but it wasn't a fair test and can't remember what I had the animations set at on each.

But there will be Software issues and like always TW plays a big part in the stutters. If only Samsung would lighten up right lol.

They have sort of to an extent with the Note 4 but further tweaks are required.

I'm more than happy with the speed and performance though and the very slight delay now with recents I can live with.

Its note perfect but very close and in my opinion all devices will remain as such from now until doomsday as perfect is just in the eye or hand of the beholder lol

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy