Is it just me or... does the Note 4 lag?

Astroglide

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded from note 3 to note 4 and my experience out of the box was awful to the point I returned the phone, got another note 4 , same issues. I did all the tweaks, nova launcher. ART etc. A point I want to make, and this is pure speculation but, it might be a problem with QC at the factory. I have a friend who got a note 4 today, and works very good. I got a note 3 last year and , despite all the shortcomings TW has, my experience was pleasant. Lucky I didn't get rid of my note 3.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
When you do the little tweaks here and there that are mentioned in this thread and others (animations, rendering, subbing the launcher, etc), the lag isn't horrific. At times you could say it requires effort to pinpoint the lag......but it IS there without a doubt. Those who say theirs has no lag simply are not as demanding or OCD about their device.

The lag was so minimal I wasn't really in a rush to root and ROM (even though I specifically bought a TMo Note 4 to use on at&t to have the option). That being said, now that I have rooted and ROM'd my Note 4 it is AMAZING.

ZERO LAG.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

sherbertzen

Dec 26, 2014
Visit site
The lag isn't horrific. At times you could say it requires effort to pinpoint the lag......but it's there without a doubt. Those who say theirs has no lag simply are not as demanding or OCD about their device.

The lag was so minimal I wasn't really in a rush to root and ROM (even though I specifically bought a TMo Note 4 to use on at&t to have the option). That being said, now that I have rooted and ROM'd my Note 4 it is AMAZING.

ZERO LAG.

This is exactly the reply I've been looking for. Do you have a recommended root for the Tmobile Note 4 and I won't miss most of the touchwiz interface, but the one-handed operation mode and multi-windows (two windows stacked vertically) options would possibly be a deal-breaker for me (long commute and sometimes like to multi-task on-the-go).

I really want the Note 4, but I have experienced lag on a floor model at bestbuy (no apps except the floor model app running), but the tmobile one (which was new, ootb and did not have a floor model app) had no lag at all.

Snake Griffin

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Came across this somewhere else and after checking off the Force GPU Rendering box in the Developer Options things have been much smoother for me. Will probably root and ROM one of these days but for now this has been pretty good.

" Enabling this preference in developer options offloads task of rendering window components like buttons, text and complex 2d graphics calculations to GPU. This often results in much faster UI rendering including animations. On one side you will definitely achieve better frame rate (and hence smooth experience) throughout system, but you may end up using more battery. On certain devices, GPU consumes more power the CPU, hence you may observe 5-15% lower battery life with option enabled.

I would recommend having this option enabled on devices with weaker CPUs e.g. You should seldom need to enable this on dual-core 1.4ghz ARM CPU.

Offloading UI rendering to GPU has obvious benefits so that CPU can work on other important tasks like database IO, data manipulation, layout calculations and responding to other user inputs"

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
This is exactly the reply I've been looking for. Do you have a recommended root for the Tmobile Note 4 and I won't miss most of the touchwiz interface, but the one-handed operation mode and multi-windows (two windows stacked vertically) options would possibly be a deal-breaker for me (long commute and sometimes like to multi-task on-the-go).

I really want the Note 4, but I have experienced lag on a floor model at bestbuy (no apps except the floor model app running), but the tmobile one (which was new, ootb and did not have a floor model app) had no lag at all.

Super easy root method here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2903733

Great TMobile ROM's here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/note-4-tmobile/development

gpo1956

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Came across this somewhere else and after checking off the Force GPU Rendering box in the Developer Options things have been much smoother for me. Will probably root and ROM one of these days but for now this has been pretty good.

" Enabling this preference in developer options offloads task of rendering window components like buttons, text and complex 2d graphics calculations to GPU. This often results in much faster UI rendering including animations. On one side you will definitely achieve better frame rate (and hence smooth experience) throughout system, but you may end up using more battery. On certain devices, GPU consumes more power the CPU, hence you may observe 5-15% lower battery life with option enabled.

I would recommend having this option enabled on devices with weaker CPUs e.g. You should seldom need to enable this on dual-core 1.4ghz ARM CPU.

Offloading UI rendering to GPU has obvious benefits so that CPU can work on other important tasks like database IO, data manipulation, layout calculations and responding to other user inputs"

I assume you mean to uncheck the box?

Snake Griffin

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
No, check the box to enable GPU rendering. Despite the powerful CPU in the Note 4 enabling GPU rendering made a difference for me in most apps such as making scrolling in Chrome smoother. Some Samsung apps still lag regardless, most notably the Usage Manager.

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
There are 2 places that nearly everyone agrees have excessive lag - opening recents, and switching from camera to gallery.
And also sometimes switching between contacts/dialer, and settings.

We can only hope Samsung pays some attention to software lag in the Lollipop version.

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
No, check the box to enable GPU rendering. Despite the powerful CPU in the Note 4 enabling GPU rendering made a difference for me in most apps such as making scrolling in Chrome smoother. Some Samsung apps still lag regardless, most notably the Usage Manager.
Just did this and it seemed to help. Thanks

maximalife

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site

Wow this helped alot...does it really take an huge hit on the battery?

Snake Griffin

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Here's my battery life from yesterday. Relatively heavy use day, lots of screen time on, GPS and BT on all the time, a few hours of music and podcasts as well as some game playing. I did not get a screen shot of the phone state details but I kept it awake 85%+ of the day by fiddling with it constantly (only had it for less than a week so still enjoying it) . Still blows my Moto X (2013) battery life away.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-12-27-22-14-08.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-12-27-22-14-08.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 178
  • Screenshot_2014-12-27-22-14-15.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-12-27-22-14-15.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:

mutt22

Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
I agree the Note 4 lags. I have owned a Note 2 & a Note 3 and enjoyed them both. I am so frustrated w the Note 4. You would expect the phone to outperform its predecessors but I have found it to be a big step in the wrong direction.

Not only do apps lag the camera has more quirks as does SPen. The worst is the stock email app doesn't work well. Saying it lags is an understatement. I have tried two new email apps which have also been poor. I am thinking of selling mine. What's the point of keeping it if the email apps freeze, the camera is quirky and Action Memo bugs out. Really upset with what's going on. Not interested in spending this kind of money and having to wait for the next Andriod OS hoping that it fixes these issues.

dtny1hk2

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Swapped my Note 4 with my wife's S5 before going on a travel trip together. She likes to take lots of pictures. She complained that the camera didn't response well all the time. There was a time she handed the phone to a waiter to help us take a picture. The waiter just couldn't take a picture after three trial. We were under a time pressure to finish the lunch and go on to an activity, so we asked the waiter to forget it at the end. This is bad for an expensive phone. I know that ATT also took away the earbugs in the new box. Whatever the reasons all the issues are happening, samsung or ATT, this is just purely bad to have such a bad product out-of-the-box. I feel like I am reading a blog on a product made by an emerging market. There, people often talked about screen jittering/smoothness and how to improve performance by replacing with a custom BIOS and doing some other stuff. Look, MediaTek even claimed to have made the first octa-core SOC before Samsung. Their hardware is fast too, just lacking good system software, and for less than half the price. Samsung and ATT, listen, you have made Note 4 a joke now to give me a chance to compare your product against those lower-end phones rather than against Apple. You have to make a new phone work better than the previous models out-of-the-box for general users or even business managers. Please don't kid me by expecting people to root all the phones you are going to sell now.

Last edited:

Mark Hense

Nov 23, 2014
Visit site
I have noticed some lag. I didn't notice when I first got it. But when I compared it to my iPhone 6 Plus, it was a noticeable difference in smoothness and speed.

Sent from my 128 GB, Space Grey iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

Amen I am on a note 4 and everything lags on thus phone people who don't see it are full of ****e or in denial the m8, moto x and lg g2 were smoother phones I have all 4 and the moto x 1st Gen is my favorite wish I would have kept my m8.the note is a gimmicky phone but is so stuttering I want to sell. My just give to one of the kids and honestly the qhd display is a waste of battery life IMHO

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I have no lag on my Note 4 or Note Edge. My two phones are actually faster at opening the same apps as on my 6+.

As for speed, one app I tested was Facebook. I was at my feed when the 6+ took about two more seconds to get there.

Everyones experience may be different so please refrain from calling people liars on this forum.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I have no lag on my Note 4 or Note Edge. My two phones are actually faster at opening the same apps as on my 6+.

As for speed, one app I tested was Facebook. I was at my feed when the 6+ took about two more seconds to get there.

Everyones experience may be different so please refrain from calling people liars on this forum.

I have no lag on mine either and I have owned a multitude of devices to compare with. I do believe that some/many owners do have phones that are problematic. The frustration is in the difficulty in tracking down the problem (if it's even possible) - you're reduced to "try this or that" and this on a device that you have paid a pretty penny for and for which high expectations are reasonable.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I have no lag on mine either and I have owned a multitude of devices to compare with. I do believe that some/many owners do have phones that are problematic. The frustration is in the difficulty in tracking down the problem (if it's even possible) - you're reduced to "try this or that" and this on a device that you have paid a pretty penny for and for which high expectations are reasonable.
Absolutely correct. We also have no idea what settings others have on their phones and what apps they may be using that could affect the overall performance of the phone.

When I first got my Note Edge, I was disappointed with the battery life on it. Last week, I decided to root it so that I could install adaway. I thought I messed up the phone because the instructions that I found were incomplete and didn't tell me that during the root process, it would fail and that was normal. The instructions stopped there. and went no further.

I used Kies to recover the phone and finally found the complete instructions on how to root the phone. My battery life has gone from poor to simply outstanding. I thought I had excellent battery life on my Note 4 but my Note Edge is easily topping that now.

drsuse74

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
Absolutely correct. We also have no idea what settings others have on their phones and what apps they may be using that could affect the overall performance of the phone.

When I first got my Note Edge, I was disappointed with the battery life on it. Last week, I decided to root it so that I could install adaway. I thought I messed up the phone because the instructions that I found were incomplete and didn't tell me that during the root process, it would fail and that was normal. The instructions stopped there. and went no further.

I used Kies to recover the phone and finally found the complete instructions on how to root the phone. My battery life has gone from poor to simply outstanding. I thought I had excellent battery life on my Note 4 but my Note Edge is easily topping that now.
NexusGirl,
Is the note edge battery that much better? Maybe I am just looking for a reason, but I wanted to upgrade from my note 4 to one. Maybe the battery life will be the kicker for it. The battery on my note 4 is ok, not the best and not the worst. I have a spare I have to switch at 7pm everyday. I turn it on at 930am

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Screenshot_2015-03-01-10-26-36.jpg
NexusGirl,
Is the note edge battery that much better? Maybe I am just looking for a reason, but I wanted to upgrade from my note 4 to one. Maybe the battery life will be the kicker for it. The battery on my note 4 is ok, not the best and not the worst. I have a spare I have to switch at 7pm everyday. I turn it on at 930am

Here is my screen shot from just now on the Note Edge. I have 2.5 hrs usage where before I could only get 16 hrs with 3 hrs usage.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams