10-07-2015 02:25 PM
70 123
tools
    I should have took photography back in high school. Low like and movement dont look good on the note4.. I had my son show me how a ninjas attacks. granted it was pretty fast motion and the light was not that bright but your average lighting. pics were bury in auto which I can understand.. I tried the sports mode and I really didnt see much difference.. then I said screw it and put it back to auto but this time set iso to 400 and then 800 and still allot of blur. Then I pulled out my t4i and tried that.. even with that 400,800 was blurry, tried 1600 and 3200 it helped but still a little there and of course grainy.
    My conclusion is we expect too much in low light. if the t4i had issues then I dont think any phone will be perfect.. with a little better lighting and the continuous shoot mode there should be some good shots.. maybe there is other software that we could use to control shutter,f stops and all that bs and that might help.. who knows.
    10-31-2014 01:09 AM
    He is just an iSheep! Unfortunately.
    11-26-2014 11:54 AM
    You have three choices with low light photography. Focus on the subject, depth of field, and clarity of the photo (amount of light collected by the camera). But you don't get to choose all 3. If you're lucky, you can get 2 out of 3 if the subject isn't moving.
    If the subject is moving at all in low light, you cannot get a clear picture with any camera without a flash. You have to choose what you want to sacrifice in those moments.

A couple of things that I have found helpful for low light pics:
    --Long press and hold focus on the subject in auto mode (this also adjusts the exposure to the subject, which helps if there is a bright light source in the background like a TV)

--Turn on the flash, and adjust the exposure to -0.5 or -1.0. This will reduce the amount of "white bright" flash blast the subject gets. You can also increase the exposure if the subject is farther away from the camera and the standard flash setting doesn't illuminate enough. The general RoT (rule of thumb) for adjusting the strength of the flash: The closer the subject, the less flash you need, the farther away, the more you need.

--Use a burst shot. Hold down the shutter button in Auto Mode (or one of the volume keys) and the camera will take up to 30 shots of the subject in a matter of a few seconds. This is great for moving subjects, but you may not get a great shot in low light because the shutter speed will be faster (resulting in less light capture).

It helps to play around with this camera a little bit. When I first got it, I didn't think it was very intuitive. Once I realized how it worked, I have had no trouble getting great shots, even in a "point and shoot" mode.

And don't be afraid to do an old photographer's trick. "Back in the old days" when we actually had to develop the film before we could find out if we got the picture we wanted, a good photographer would "bracket" his shots. That is, he would set f-stop and shutter speed to what he thought the shot required, then do a couple of shots on either side of that setting, just to make sure he caught a good picture. I still treat digital cameras like SLRs. I take 5-10 shots of just about anything I am shooting, in different modes, angles, exposures, etc. With sports or other action shots, burst is my friend. I often sift through 50-100 pictures from one event to settle on 10-15 for an album to share with friends. Most of my best shots came from using this method. Among other things, it makes your subjects less "aware" of the camera so they start to relax, which results in better pictures over time.
    11-26-2014 12:38 PM
    How do you bypass the burst mode warning on low light?

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Attached Thumbnails Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus Camera : Low light and motion shots-uploadfromtaptalk1417034742185.jpg  
    11-26-2014 02:45 PM
    Here is an example of this "low light + motion" issue with the Note 4 camera. Even the slightest movement by my son creates a blurry image, no matter what settings I try. And the light in this situation is not even that low. Very disappointing.
    03-18-2015 01:22 PM
    Here is an example of this "low light + motion" issue with the Note 4 camera. Even the slightest movement by my son creates a blurry image, no matter what settings I try. And the light in this situation is not even that low. Very disappointing.
    http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15...d251184fa2.jpg
    I had the same issue when I had my Note 4. My iPhone 6 took great pics of my kids and hardly ever blurry. With the Note 4 soon as they move a bit the pic would blur (try keeping a toddler perfectly still) and low light shots were not good at all which is why I went back to the iPhone. From everything I've read and seen the Galaxy S6 camera looks to be amazing and right on par with the iPhone so I'm impatiently waiting for that so I can finally come back to Android.
    lpt2569 likes this.
    03-18-2015 02:55 PM
    http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15...d251184fa2.jpg
    I had the same issue when I had my Note 4. My iPhone 6 took great pics of my kids and hardly ever blurry. With the Note 4 soon as they move a bit the pic would blur (try keeping a toddler perfectly still) and low light shots were not good at all which is why I went back to the iPhone. From everything I've read and seen the Galaxy S6 camera looks to be amazing and right on par with the iPhone so I'm impatiently waiting for that so I can finally come back to Android.
    I've said it a bunch of times in different threads, try Google Camera or CameraZoomFX and take a similar shot of your son and see if you don't get better results. For some reason the stock camera cannot hold focus and you get blur, even in many shots where this should not be the case.
    lpt2569 likes this.
    03-18-2015 04:37 PM
    How do you bypass the burst mode warning on low light?

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Unfortunately you can't take burst shots in low light.
    asanatheist likes this.
    03-18-2015 04:41 PM
    I've said it a bunch of times in different threads, try Google Camera or CameraZoomFX and take a similar shot of your son and see if you don't get better results. For some reason the stock camera cannot hold focus and you get blur, even in many shots where this should not be the case.
    Gonna give it a try.
    03-18-2015 05:01 PM
    Samsung just updated their sports mode. Go to the Galaxy store and look for upgrades. This may help re moving objects

Posted via the Android Central App. Magichoward
    03-21-2015 05:44 AM
    This is the low light shot by my Note 4, the photos quality is above average, I'm very happy with it.Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus Camera : Low light and motion shots-img_20150322_194413.jpg

Posted via the Android Central App
    03-22-2015 08:53 AM
    I seem to have this issue big time. Yesterday at my brother's b-day party I snapped a lot of pictures with my Note 4 and sister's Iphone 6 in what I'd consider ok lighting (lights in the room we were in were on), not really low light.
    Pictures on the Note 4 kept blurring with any movement of the subjects. If however there was no movement, the pictures were awesome. Tried sports mode, and I tried auto. Neither fixed the problem, in fact sports seemed to have done nothing. (probably auto was putting it in sport mode in the first place). Compared to my previous Samsung S4, the sport mode is pretty crappy and useless. This morning I tested the updated sports mode. I couldn't tell a difference.
    I passed the iphone 6 off to a friend, and he took pictures like CRAZY. I think he took close to 500 pics all while panning. All were in focus and sharp, except for ones where he was moving the camera way too much, in which case even a dedicated camera would have problems.

Using the Google Camera seemed to have helped a bit but didn't eliminate this problem. Eventually however I ended up enabling flash, and it was better excellent but imho flash shouldn't be used except for very low light situations.
    Here's two of the better captures moments.
    03-22-2015 09:45 AM
    I seem to have this issue big time. Yesterday at my brother's b-day party I snapped a lot of pictures with my Note 4 and sister's Iphone 6 in what I'd consider ok lighting (lights in the room we were in were on), not really low light.
    Pictures on the Note 4 kept blurring with any movement of the subjects. If however there was no movement, the pictures were awesome. Tried sports mode, and I tried auto. Neither fixed the problem, in fact sports seemed to have done nothing. (probably auto was putting it in sport mode in the first place). Compared to my previous Samsung S4, the sport mode is pretty crappy and useless. This morning I tested the updated sports mode. I couldn't tell a difference.
    I passed the iphone 6 off to a friend, and he took pictures like CRAZY. I think he took close to 500 pics all while panning. All were in focus and sharp, except for ones where he was moving the camera way too much, in which case even a dedicated camera would have problems.

Using the Google Camera seemed to have helped a bit but didn't eliminate this problem. Eventually however I ended up enabling flash, and it was better excellent but imho flash shouldn't be used except for very low light situations.
    Attachment 167791Attachment 167792
    Were these with the stock app?
    03-24-2015 09:44 AM
    The problem of course is shutter speed being too slow for moving objects. Three things control exposure: aperture, shutter speed, and ISO setting. The Note 4 has a fixed aperture and provides no explicit control over shutter speed - ISO is the only element that can be changed on the Note 4. The default setting for ISO is Auto - has anybody tried shooting with it changed to its highest setting, 800, to force faster shutter speeds? Moot point if Auto is pushing it to 800 but it's worth trying. The downside with higher ISO is increased grain.
    03-24-2015 09:56 AM
    I think that a lot of people confused the order of 1st photos post and they thought that second and third photos were from Note 4 (very dark, but still IP6).
    If you shot in the morning, I think sports mode can solve the problem of the 1st poster (fast shutter speed).
    If you are in low light... you can only slow down the the shutter (with the difficulty to focus moving subjects) and raise the ISO value of the camera.
    All smartphone have very small sensor, and Note 4's sensor is one of the largest.
    04-06-2015 11:52 AM

Normal indoor lighting is low light when you're talking about photography. Why do you think photographers use all those really bright lights...
    psychok9 likes this.
    04-06-2015 02:25 PM
    The problem of course is shutter speed being too slow for moving objects. Three things control exposure: aperture, shutter speed, and ISO setting. The Note 4 has a fixed aperture and provides no explicit control over shutter speed - ISO is the only element that can be changed on the Note 4. The default setting for ISO is Auto - has anybody tried shooting with it changed to its highest setting, 800, to force faster shutter speeds? Moot point if Auto is pushing it to 800 but it's worth trying. The downside with higher ISO is increased grain.
    The fault is not in the sensor (it's a great sensor for a phone), it's in the app controlling it. Unfortunately Samsung has chosen not to support the Camera2 API included in Lollipop which would allow manual camera settings and raw file support. Hopefully they'll add it in the next update.
    04-06-2015 02:40 PM
    Normal indoor lighting is low light when you're talking about photography. Why do you think photographers use all those really bright lights...
    Yeah, today I've tried with my old Samsung S3 to do photos indoor (16:00/4PM in the afternoon, very bright here).
    I was shocked how much light still outdoor from my room, also if it's near the window (the curtain is white and cover only a part of it). ISO difference was huge (700-800 vs basic 100). Flash was needed to lower the iso to more decent "100-200".
    Try to point your room and move versus the windows: you will notice the jump
    Our eyes are comfortable with it and we don't notice this.
    04-06-2015 06:47 PM
    Old thread, but just add that I found open camera to be best for low light shots, better than Samsung app or Google app, as I can manually adjust exposure and iso level to 1600. In addition, "animated photo" mode in default samsung photo app takes good shots in low light + motion. Where I would get blurs with normal single shots using default app, animated photo mode captures clear shots.without blur.
    sulla1965 likes this.
    10-03-2015 10:45 PM
    Don't mention the horrid I word please.

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-07-2015 02:25 PM
70 123