Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus Camera : Low light and motion shots

HOLLYWOODANT215

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Some people are saying to try the Google camera instead of the stock Samsung because the google camera is closest to an IPhone camera. The people that are also recommending the Google camera are saying that under low light conditions, the camera actually excels the IPhone 6

Lies I took some low light pics in the club with Google they look washed out compared to regular camera 🎥

Posted via the Android Central App

Phantasmal Images

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
We'd need to know what settings the pictures were taken at to see if this was a fair comparison or not. It could very well be a software issue, even a Canon 5Dmk3 can take bad pictures with the wrong settings.

The Sony IMX2410 sensor (ie the camera in the Note 4), is a 1/2" sensor with 16mp. The iSight in the iPhone 6plus is a 1/3" sensor with 8mp. The Note 4's camera should easily out perform the iPhone 6's camera. The dynamic range should be higher, noise should be lower, etc. I'd be willing to bet this is a software issue.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Some people are saying to try the Google camera instead of the stock Samsung because the google camera is closest to an IPhone camera. The people that are also recommending the Google camera are saying that under low light conditions, the camera actually excels the IPhone 6
Thanks I will give it a try

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

biggunspaul

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
Sammy needs to bring back night mode

It does have a night mode,it just does it automatically when there is not enough light.if you look at the screen going from a light to dark room you will see the icon pop up in the right hand corner.

keyzlife

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Not sure who all knew this. I just learned of it in a review video this am. If you hold to focus in the camera app, it gives you a lock on focus and exposure. Greatly improves low light from what I've seen. Give it a try and see what you guys think.
93cb39d9128f91869c4b14b38223abd4.jpg

sent from my Samsung GALAXY Note® 4 using Tapatalk

HOLLYWOODANT215

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Not sure who all knew this. I just learned of it in a review video this am. If you hold to focus in the camera app, it gives you a lock on focus and exposure. Greatly improves low light from what I've seen. Give it a try and see what you guys think. http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/10/29/93cb39d9128f91869c4b14b38223abd4.jpg

sent from my Samsung GALAXY Note® 4 using Tapatalk

Just tried it in my living room on my TV first pic is just taking pic, send I held focus on TV

Attachments

• 20141031_012323.jpg
    20141031_012323.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 20141031_012328.jpg
    20141031_012328.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 53

lostsoul2

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I should have took photography back in high school. Low like and movement dont look good on the note4.. I had my son show me how a ninjas attacks. granted it was pretty fast motion and the light was not that bright but your average lighting. pics were bury in auto which I can understand.. I tried the sports mode and I really didnt see much difference.. then I said screw it and put it back to auto but this time set iso to 400 and then 800 and still allot of blur. Then I pulled out my t4i and tried that.. even with that 400,800 was blurry, tried 1600 and 3200 it helped but still a little there and of course grainy.
My conclusion is we expect too much in low light. if the t4i had issues then I dont think any phone will be perfect.. with a little better lighting and the continuous shoot mode there should be some good shots.. maybe there is other software that we could use to control shutter,f stops and all that bs and that might help.. who knows.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
You have three choices with low light photography. Focus on the subject, depth of field, and clarity of the photo (amount of light collected by the camera). But you don't get to choose all 3. If you're lucky, you can get 2 out of 3 if the subject isn't moving.
If the subject is moving at all in low light, you cannot get a clear picture with any camera without a flash. You have to choose what you want to sacrifice in those moments.

A couple of things that I have found helpful for low light pics:
--Long press and hold focus on the subject in auto mode (this also adjusts the exposure to the subject, which helps if there is a bright light source in the background like a TV)

--Turn on the flash, and adjust the exposure to -0.5 or -1.0. This will reduce the amount of "white bright" flash blast the subject gets. You can also increase the exposure if the subject is farther away from the camera and the standard flash setting doesn't illuminate enough. The general RoT (rule of thumb) for adjusting the strength of the flash: The closer the subject, the less flash you need, the farther away, the more you need.

--Use a burst shot. Hold down the shutter button in Auto Mode (or one of the volume keys) and the camera will take up to 30 shots of the subject in a matter of a few seconds. This is great for moving subjects, but you may not get a great shot in low light because the shutter speed will be faster (resulting in less light capture).

It helps to play around with this camera a little bit. When I first got it, I didn't think it was very intuitive. Once I realized how it worked, I have had no trouble getting great shots, even in a "point and shoot" mode.

And don't be afraid to do an old photographer's trick. "Back in the old days" when we actually had to develop the film before we could find out if we got the picture we wanted, a good photographer would "bracket" his shots. That is, he would set f-stop and shutter speed to what he thought the shot required, then do a couple of shots on either side of that setting, just to make sure he caught a good picture. I still treat digital cameras like SLRs. I take 5-10 shots of just about anything I am shooting, in different modes, angles, exposures, etc. With sports or other action shots, burst is my friend. I often sift through 50-100 pictures from one event to settle on 10-15 for an album to share with friends. Most of my best shots came from using this method. Among other things, it makes your subjects less "aware" of the camera so they start to relax, which results in better pictures over time.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
How do you bypass the burst mode warning on low light?

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1417034742185.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417034742185.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 84

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Here is an example of this "low light + motion" issue with the Note 4 camera. Even the slightest movement by my son creates a blurry image, no matter what settings I try. And the light in this situation is not even that low. Very disappointing.
002612e86cccdd3178b4c6d251184fa2.jpg

Coney718

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Here is an example of this "low light + motion" issue with the Note 4 camera. Even the slightest movement by my son creates a blurry image, no matter what settings I try. And the light in this situation is not even that low. Very disappointing.
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/18/002612e86cccdd3178b4c6d251184fa2.jpg

I had the same issue when I had my Note 4. My iPhone 6 took great pics of my kids and hardly ever blurry. With the Note 4 soon as they move a bit the pic would blur (try keeping a toddler perfectly still) and low light shots were not good at all which is why I went back to the iPhone. From everything I've read and seen the Galaxy S6 camera looks to be amazing and right on par with the iPhone so I'm impatiently waiting for that so I can finally come back to Android.

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/18/002612e86cccdd3178b4c6d251184fa2.jpg

I had the same issue when I had my Note 4. My iPhone 6 took great pics of my kids and hardly ever blurry. With the Note 4 soon as they move a bit the pic would blur (try keeping a toddler perfectly still) and low light shots were not good at all which is why I went back to the iPhone. From everything I've read and seen the Galaxy S6 camera looks to be amazing and right on par with the iPhone so I'm impatiently waiting for that so I can finally come back to Android.

I've said it a bunch of times in different threads, try Google Camera or CameraZoomFX and take a similar shot of your son and see if you don't get better results. For some reason the stock camera cannot hold focus and you get blur, even in many shots where this should not be the case.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I've said it a bunch of times in different threads, try Google Camera or CameraZoomFX and take a similar shot of your son and see if you don't get better results. For some reason the stock camera cannot hold focus and you get blur, even in many shots where this should not be the case.
Gonna give it a try.

magichoward

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Samsung just updated their sports mode. Go to the Galaxy store and look for upgrades. This may help re moving objects

Posted via the Android Central App. Magichoward

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma