Rooted the Note 4 and now I have a Brick

TRAVR6

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
I have never rooted a phone and everyone I talked to says it's the way to go.

I followed these instructions since it had an easy recovery if things went wrong.

Well thing went wrong and it won't recover.

I tried Kies but it says it does not work with this phone.

I get this error

Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies and try again.

If anyone can help get me back to a working phone it would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
It's not bricked. Got to xda and download Odin and the original stock rom. Really generic instructions you can find the official steps there at xda.

TRAVR6

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
I already tried ODIN. I have 3.7 which has the option for PDA and 3.10 which does not.
3.7 fails when I try to load.

I cannot find the stock ROM for the note 4.
This is my first time rooting.
Can you provide links for the stock rom and instructions?

I have searched and tried everything I have found so far. Nothing has worked.

lazerproof

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
What method did you use? On xda developers forum in the note 4 orginal android development forum is a post by chainfire. His is the most reliable method, but you are supposed to follow instructions to the letter. I highly recommend as others have suggested to go to xda, you'll need Odin if you don't already have it and the original rom. Your best bet Is to See if you can get chainfire to help. He visits there frequently. Don't pm him as he will not respond. Post a question in the relevant forum for your phone.

Update: you should be able to find your original rom for your phone on xda.

Posted via the Android Central App

TRAVR6

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
I posted the link to the instructions I used. Chainfire was given credit for it.

There is nothing on XDA in regards to the stock rom. At least that I could find.

I will post up for assistance there as well.

lazerproof

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
I posted the link to the instructions I used. Chainfire was given credit for it.

There is nothing on XDA in regards to the stock rom. At least that I could find.

I will post up for assistance there as well.

That's your best bet. I am sure someone on xda has it since once you root you can back it up. Good luck! Let us know how you make out. If I can come up with anything, I'll let you know here.

TRAVR6

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
I think I fixed it.

I found this link on XDA

Found my exact model number and used that. ODIN installed it and all appears well.

lazerproof

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
I think I fixed it.

I found this link on XDA

Found my exact model number and used that. ODIN installed it and all appears well.

O.k. so you are rooted. That's what I had asked, if you downloaded the right files for your phone and carrier? That is the link I was originally referring you to. Glad you are fixed.

phillthedrill

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I would encourage everyone to wait a little while until they put up stock roms on the XDA before trying to root the phone. Just in case something goes wrong, you can always ODIN back to stock. I have the Verizon Note 4 and I don't see anything to root it yet. Yes, I am root happy as well. :)

itsnotmeitsyou

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
When it comes to Odin, absolutely only flash firmware made specifically for your model [carrier]. It's very hard to screw up beyond repair with a Samsung, as long as you follow basic instructions. Glad you got it fixed.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

larry0071

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Does getting root access void the Knox warranty? All I'd like to do is get root access to Uninstall the things like Verizon navigator and other baked in things that are meaningless to me. I'm one of the oddities that had made friends with Samsung and TouchWiz, so I've no interest in customized software.

sk3litor

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Does getting root access void the Knox warranty? All I'd like to do is get root access to Uninstall the things like Verizon navigator and other baked in things that are meaningless to me. I'm one of the oddities that had made friends with Samsung and TouchWiz, so I've no interest in customized software.
Actually Knox is useless on consumer phones. It's made for business and government phones. That being said of coarse it's up to you.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Actually Knox is useless on consumer phones. It's made for business and government phones. That being said of coarse it's up to you.

1. This isn't true. Quite a few consumers choose to use Knox without being required to.

2. Regardless of whether you want to use KNOX, tripping KNOX will void the warranty, so there is plenty of reason to care about it.

3. This will also lower resale value.

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site

The current root methods do trip KNOX. It's not impossible to root a phone without tripping the counter but as far as I know there are not currently any methods to do so on the Note 4.

Edit: Just wanted to add that I notice you mention Verizon. You cannot even root a Verizon Note 4 at all right now, so you don't even have a decision to make.

Last edited:

lazerproof

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site

Actually that's not quite true. Knox has 3 systems. Knox counter, which keeps track of whether you rooted your phone, and will void your warranty on anything that got damaged do to you rooting. Then there is knox personal (my knox ) which is a free service for anyone. My knox creates a container. Any app in that container cannot access anything outside of the container on your phone, and nothing on your phone can access the apps in that container. This is similar to private mode but with no limits as to what can go in there. My knox is currently available only for the s5, but it is expected that it will soon be available on the note 4 and other phones. Finally there is knox enterprise which works like my knox but with a bunch of added features and it cost money. A word of warning to those who are interested in rooting. If you do, obviously you will trip knox and MAY loose all knox functionality, my knox, knox enterprise, and private mode and never be able to get them back, even if you go back to original unrooted rom.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc