11-16-2014 12:46 PM
28 12
tools
    I've rooted tons of phones, and taken many of them back to the CARRIER when there was a replacement needed and NEVER EVER ONCE was denied because the phone was rooted...
    No one returns a phone with problems back to Samsung; 99% of the time they take them back to their carrier, and unless you are a total jerk when you take your phone in with a problem, no one is going to refuse warranty because it is rooted; plus, with almost EVERY rooted phone, there is an easy way back to a stock like configuration, and if your phone looks like its "stock", and you have a verifiable issue that requires a replacement, you wont have a problem 99% of the time..

The amount of mis information and paranoia surrounding rooting is incredible..
    11-16-2014 11:50 AM

The amount of mis information and paranoia surrounding rooting is incredible..
    You mean the paranoia coming from participating in a thread about how a phone was just turned into a brick?

I'm happy for your good luck in making returns--but were any of your honored returns based on problems caused by rooting? That is all we're talking about at the moment. That issue has already been narrowed and was not in dispute.

Carriers and manufacturers do reserve the right not to honor warranties if you do something that breaks the phone. That's just common sense. If you wreck the phone, that's on you. It isn't terribly complicated. It is great you haven't had a problem. Hope that continues. It may not. They also have to figure it out. You can also show up at the carrier and not tell them you're rooted. When you walk out of the store, they may never know; the phone just goes back to the shop for formatting. Silence is golden. Luck is a wonderful thing. There's no guarantee any of that is forever.

I personally have little interest in buying $800 phones so I can sort of redesign them myself. Your mileage may differ. Fair enough. This aspect of it is a minor tangent to be sure, but most certainly not risk-free. That's all.
    brad419 likes this.
    11-16-2014 12:09 PM
    obviously, nothing in life is risk free; you can get killed walking across the street, but does that mean you should never leave the curb by your house?
    I choose to live my life the way I want to, and not be paranoid of every possibility out there.
    If I try to return a phone and the sales clerk says sorry, its rooted, we cant do it, I will just go to another store where they dont check and take care of me there.
    drinking and driving is illegal; does that stop people? taking drugs? shoplifting?
    not that any of these can be compared to rooting, but my only point is that not every one is paranoid about taking some sort of chances in their lives, and if you are afraid of the consequences of rooting, then dont do it.
    11-16-2014 12:46 PM
28 12