OK maybe it's because my nails are so short but I'm finding it extremely difficult to get the back cover off. I had to actually be EXTRA careful using a knife in the little slot. Am I missing something? I guess I was just with iPhone so long that I've forgotten how to actually be able to replace a battery in my phone
    10-25-2014 07:18 AM
    Yeah with short fingernails is is tougher. Just slide your fingernail into the slot and pull out until it releasing a bit, then slide your fingernail along the edges between the cover and the body of the phone. Work your way along the side and it will release pretty easily. I just don't like pulling the cover from one spot, I always feel like I'll break it or bend it. I'm sure that probably wouldn't happen but it's just me being extra careful.
    Husker82 likes this.
    10-25-2014 07:28 AM
    I think being careful is also one of my problems lol. Maybe I was just too scared of breaking it and didn't try hard enough. Thanks
    10-25-2014 08:08 AM
    I have noticed you do have to be more "aggressive" with it than I would like! But I have short fingernails too lol
    10-25-2014 08:26 AM
    When you flip the phone to its back...

On the left upper side there's a small notch cut out for your finger nail to get it started.

I never knew it was there until my husband showed me the other day.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk Pro.
    jerseygirl likes this.
    10-25-2014 09:19 AM
    I was bout to start this thread but thought it was only me...i cant even use my charger kit because back so hard to get off..im scared imma scratch metal if i keep trying

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-25-2014 09:43 AM
    OK maybe it's because my nails are so short but I'm finding it extremely difficult to get the back cover off. I had to actually be EXTRA careful using a knife in the little slot. Am I missing something? I guess I was just with iPhone so long that I've forgotten how to actually be able to replace a battery in my phone
    I feel the same way but by the second and third time I realized that it's just me being very careful and since it's new I'm very cautious with it, not wanting to cause damage to it in anyway.

girls love tech too
    10-25-2014 10:03 AM
    I had a really hard time cause my nails are too thick to pry off the back due to my gel manicure... And I refused to take a chance on using a knife, cause I didn't want to scratch it. You're all going to laugh, but what I did was use the corner edge of my toothpaste tube to get under the tiny notch and it WORKED! That was my "trick" Haha
    10-25-2014 11:46 AM
    The Note 4 back does not seem to be designed for frequent removal. Not only is it flimsy and hard to remove, it is hard to get back on. Eventually the little nubs will wear out or break. This is clearly a design flaw, that I hope will be corrected with the Note 5 next year. All back covers need a small mechanical latch, not just plastic-y snap tabs.

Raargh
    10-25-2014 12:57 PM
    Basically it is the same way that the note 3 was after a while it will snap on and off easily

10-25-2014 02:25 PM
    The Note 4 back does not seem to be designed for frequent removal. Not only is it flimsy and hard to remove, it is hard to get back on. Eventually the little nubs will wear out or break. This is clearly a design flaw, that I hope will be corrected with the Note 5 next year. All back covers need a small mechanical latch, not just plastic-y snap tabs.

Raargh
    S5 was so easy to take back off and replace battery...feel like i brought extea battery kit for nothing,im scared to keep pulling case of since ppl seeing scratches

10-25-2014 03:16 PM
    Basically it is the same way that the note 3 was after a while it will snap on and off easily

I hope it does get easier to get back on over time. I have no problems getting it off but, getting it back on correctly is a pain. I have an extra battery and every time I go to swap it out I spend more time that should be necessary trying to get the back cover snapped back on completely.
    10-25-2014 03:29 PM
    I have not experienced any problem taking the back cover off. However, I have a hard time putting it back on.... I cannot seem to be able to make the bottom part of the back cover fit tight.
    10-27-2014 10:45 AM
    I have short finger nails as well. The trick is above the battery button -- there is a little groove that is meant to open the battery door. Pull back on this and once it pops off you can simply go down the case side to keep pooping the rest of it off.

Works every time! .
    10-27-2014 10:52 AM
    No issues taking it off or putting it back on… but I am not used to doing this, so it might seem harder to those who have experience with taking the backs off of other phones.
    10-27-2014 12:03 PM
    i had no real problem taking it off - but i could have used a warning about how flimsy the case is. i panicked b/c i thought i peeled a layer of pleather off from the case - never would have imagined it to be so thin and flimsy.
    not sure if i'll ever use the extra battery/charger, or just save the battery for when this one wears out
    10-27-2014 06:51 PM
    Just like the 3 it is so easy,, it won't break. Get your finger in that slot and just pull it off. Very durable,, very easy to take on and off if you just get it out of your head that it will break. Trust me, it will not.

GALAXY NOTE 4, GO BIG OR GO HOME
    10-27-2014 07:12 PM
    I had a really hard time cause my nails are too thick to pry off the back due to my gel manicure... And I refused to take a chance on using a knife, cause I didn't want to scratch it. You're all going to laugh, but what I did was use the corner edge of my toothpaste tube to get under the tiny notch and it WORKED! That was my "trick" Haha
    That was the best tip ever! Thanks!
    Honey_184 likes this.
    11-07-2014 11:46 PM
    My initial plan was to charge and change about half and half. Now I think I will be charging more than half the time and only changing when I need to. Thought I would get more use out of the charge kit than that but...there it is.

We have two entirely different recommendations in the same thread...some recommending the need to be more aggressive, others recommending more care....recommendations 180* opposed are a sure sign of an actual issue.

Because that notch or slot is so narrow, I intend finding a tool that is just the right size to fit in that notch. One of the cell phone tools designed for removing components will likely be my choice as I have some of those repair kits. It appears to me that once you have a tool that fits that notch nicely you can then use some care in starting the process at that notch and will succeed without damaging the back cover and without being overly aggressive. I am going to use the tool in the notch to start the process and then continue to use the tool around the perimeter of the back cover until I have it off. In that way I will not be trying to pry it too much right at the notch. As you can tell from this lengthy post, IMO the issue starts and ends at that notch and efforts to just use a fingernail to get in there and or efforts to just remove the whole back cover at the notch. If you don't have any cellphone repair tools, they are mostly made of plastic, cheap and easy to find at Internet storefronts or ebay.
    11-08-2014 01:05 AM

Raargh
    That's what happened with my old s5....

11-08-2014 02:00 AM
    No argument from me. If they had a latch they could likely use grooves around the edges. They would not have to rely on the nubs to both position and secure the back cover. No latch means those nubs have to pull double duty.

To be honest though, the only part of this that does not make sense is the charging battery carry case. Really the design for the back cover has relegated that accessory product to not much more than an emergency battery and a replacement if the first battery starts to go down the failure path. There is no way that I am going to switch those out very often even with a tool given the way the back cover is designed. However I have never really used a spare battery the way I was intending to use this one. The only reason I even started down this path originally was because these replacement batteries are dirt cheap compared to the usual.

At one point in time replacement batteries for cellphones were so expensive that if your original battery did start to fail, it was time to go get a new phone! The battery cost so much that it made little sense paying for it. Another $50 or so got you the newest, best phone you could get as long as you were going to start a new contract.

I would care for this one though. I would not bank on a N5 being ready for release next year. Sammy has too much stuff going on and I think they are rightfully proud of this release. I would be more inclined to think you will see a N5 in 2016, not 2015.
    11-08-2014 02:12 AM
    Back is easy to come off now for me... Always have phone in my rite hand and use left finger to pull it off works 100% if I switch hands I can't get it off

Posted via Android Central App
    11-08-2014 10:06 PM
    You can come up with a solution that will get it off but I worry as the OP does that if you just rip past those nubs enough times, they will start to break. There is not much meat there at all. So really as I stated earlier, my plans to field swap batteries is sort of out the window. If I happen to be in a nice stable surrounding where I can work the cover off with one of my cellphone repair tools fine....if not...no soap....charge time. While I am not using the Sammy mobile mount (takes up too much glass space on my car) I will use the mobile charger that came with it. If I am out I am never far from my car. I am guessing I will do more mobile charging than I thought I was going to do.
    11-08-2014 10:29 PM
    I bought 2 replacement backs so I m not worried about breaking the battery cover... But yes it is a bit more difficult to get off...
    11-09-2014 03:21 PM