I had a question about the system setting under language and input. When I tap on the notification readout all the options are grayed out? How can these be activated?
    10-25-2014 02:32 PM
    After reading many forums and tearing my phone apart, I finally figured this one out. I had the same problem many others were reporting, with anyone in my Favorites having their names announced when they called, even though I'd turned off Talkback and any other voice stuff. What I had noticed was that in Settings/ Language And Input/Notification Readout, all five options were checked but greyed out so I couldn't uncheck them. And "Calls from favourite contacts" was the one causing me all the trouble.

The solution on a Galaxy S5 running 4.4.2 is to use two fingers to pull down the Notification Bar, and then from that bunch of icons you see turn ON Hands-Free Mode (which is the old Driving Mode - it has a steering wheel icon).

Now, go back to Settings/Language And Input/Notification Readout and you'll be able to uncheck all those 5 options. After you've done that, go back to the Notification Bar and turn OFF the Hands-Free Mode. Job done!
    11-10-2014 03:22 AM
    I just signed up an account so that I could personally thank you. This totally was the fix for the problem!! Thanks alot!
    Buffy Frobisher likes this.
    12-08-2014 06:16 AM
    I just signed up an account so that I could personally thank you. This totally was the fix for the problem!! Thanks alot!

After reading many forums and tearing my phone apart, I finally figured this one out. I had the same problem many others were reporting, with anyone in my Favorites having their names announced when they called, even though I'd turned off Talkback and any other voice stuff. What I had noticed was that in Settings/ Language And Input/Notification Readout, all five options were checked but greyed out so I couldn't uncheck them. And "Calls from favourite contacts" was the one causing me all the trouble.

The solution on a Galaxy S5 running 4.4.2 is to use two fingers to pull down the Notification Bar, and then from that bunch of icons you see turn ON Hands-Free Mode (which is the old Driving Mode - it has a steering wheel icon).

Now, go back to Settings/Language And Input/Notification Readout and you'll be able to uncheck all those 5 options. After you've done that, go back to the Notification Bar and turn OFF the Hands-Free Mode. Job done!
    Buffy Frobisher likes this.
    12-08-2014 06:18 AM
    I signed up to answer and thank you too. Been looking all day for an answer. You saved my phones life. Thanks BF
    02-20-2015 01:01 AM
    Actually reading the manual would have pointed that setting out as well
    02-20-2015 01:42 AM
    My problem is actually the other way around. i have hands free mode OFF and it is not turning ON giving the message that atleast one service should be enabled but all the 5 available services are grayed out. I cant enable the services and thus cant use the hands free mode. any suggestions?
    04-01-2015 03:45 AM