Verizon has quietly changed their Edge plan so that the "must pay off before upgrading" amount is now 75%. So, in almost all cases, that is an 18 month commitment.

I spoke to two different Verizon employees today (in store, and phone cust serv) and both indicated that for a Note 4 on the Edge program, I would pay $0 down (no activation fee) and I should expect to get a $15 monthly increase on my current plan (Family Plan 4GB). In 18 months, I can change phones. With no money down to get the phone, I would be looking at $270 to "lease" the Note 4 over those 18 months before returning it for a new phone.

Am I missing something, or is this a better deal than a 2yr contract for someone who likes to upgrade frequently? I admit, the Edge program's 18 months vs. the old 12 months before upgrading is a significant consideration, but it still saves me money, yes?
    10-25-2014 03:52 PM
    Go for it and I agree I'm never content, its what makes us demand more from our manufacturers, they thank us after they make a few million.

Posted via my Note3
    mike7328 likes this.
    10-25-2014 05:17 PM
    I went with the Edge program and based on my calculations it was the best deal. I like the option to pay the phone off early and resell it if I want.

Posted via the Android Central App
    mike7328 likes this.
    10-25-2014 05:48 PM
    Verizon has quietly changed their Edge plan so that the "must pay off before upgrading" amount is now 75%. So, in almost all cases, that is an 18 month commitment.

I spoke to two different Verizon employees today (in store, and phone cust serv) and both indicated that for a Note 4 on the Edge program, I would pay $0 down (no activation fee) and I should expect to get a $15 monthly increase on my current plan (Family Plan 4GB). In 18 months, I can change phones. With no money down to get the phone, I would be looking at $270 to "lease" the Note 4 over those 18 months before returning it for a new phone.

Am I missing something, or is this a better deal than a 2yr contract for someone who likes to upgrade frequently? I admit, the Edge program's 18 months vs. the old 12 months before upgrading is a significant consideration, but it still saves me money, yes?
    Well the only downfall is that every time u upgrade you have to turn in the phone and u have nothing to show for the $300+ u have paid but the plus side, you get that discount every month towards your calling plan when you have Edge. I have every intention of keeping my N4 for 2 yrs. I figured with the edge discount over the 2yrs I am still end up paying contract price but at the end of the 2yrs I get to keep my phone
    mike7328 likes this.
    10-25-2014 06:23 PM
    What do you have to return when you edge up? Is it just the phone? Or do you have to give them your charging cables that came with the phone as well? I edged up for the note 4 and I didn't see any instructions on what I need to send back to them.
    10-26-2014 11:02 AM
    I believe it is just the phone, according to the Verizon website.
    zeuswsu likes this.
    10-26-2014 11:18 AM
    Well the only downfall is that every time u upgrade you have to turn in the phone and u have nothing to show for the $300+ u have paid but the plus side, you get that discount every month towards your calling plan when you have Edge. I have every intention of keeping my N4 for 2 yrs. I figured with the edge discount over the 2yrs I am still end up paying contract price but at the end of the 2yrs I get to keep my phone
    Well, if you wait and complete the 2yr Edge contract, you don't have to return the phone. And if you do, you get credit for it, per the Verizon FAQ page:

I paid off 100% of my Edge device. Can I trade it in and use the trade-in value toward the cost of a new device under a new Verizon Edge Agreement?

Yes. You’ll receive the value for the trade, and you can use the balance towards the purchase of your new device, to purchase accessories, or to pay your Verizon Wireless bill. However, you may not use the trade-in value to reduce the retail price of the new Edge device.
    10-26-2014 11:24 AM