03-14-2016 11:00 PM
94 1234
tools
    I will receive my Samsung case tomorrow and I think I'll put tape around the metal edges to see if that helps to prevent against the scratches to the metal. I'll report back once I've had a week or two to test
    11-28-2014 01:51 PM
    I have had exactly the same issue. Extensive and even scratching on all sides of the phone. Never took the case off since installing, and checked the case, it seemed relatively dust free.
    Is your case scratching the chamfered aluminum edge on your Note 4?-image1.jpgIs your case scratching the chamfered aluminum edge on your Note 4?-image2.jpgIs your case scratching the chamfered aluminum edge on your Note 4?-image3.jpgIs your case scratching the chamfered aluminum edge on your Note 4?-image4.jpgIs your case scratching the chamfered aluminum edge on your Note 4?-image5.jpgIs your case scratching the chamfered aluminum edge on your Note 4?-image6.jpg
    12-02-2014 04:58 PM
    Not really sure, it came with my silver jewelry to clean it.

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-02-2014 05:24 PM
    I treat and have treated all of my phones like babies. Put a UAG Maverick on this case recently for about 2 weeks. Needed to take off case to pop out micro sd card and noticed scuffs in the metal on the bottom of the phone. Also noticed some beginning stages of peeling or flaking around the headphone jack. I know these may be minor to some but I consider it to be a major annoyance to me. I paid over $800.00 for this device and expected it to maintain it's pristine condition of day 1 throughout the life of the phone as long as I took proper care of it which I have. Is that asking too much? Are my expectations too high? Is Samsung's build quality not as good as other manufactures? Nothing I can really do about it, just venting, carry on....
    Yes, your expectations are very unrealistic.
    12-02-2014 05:46 PM
    Please explain why? ?
    12-02-2014 05:55 PM
    You cannot expect any device that you use daily, in all weather conditions, heat, humidity, cold, hot, fingerprints, oils, etc to not have a normal wear and tear effect on it.

Sure, I get the fact that it is disappointing that the chrome paint they applied isn't very durable, so it flakes easily.

But if that's the worst issue that you have with it, that's pretty good.
    12-02-2014 05:59 PM
    You cannot expect any device that you use daily, in all weather conditions, heat, humidity, cold, hot, fingerprints, oils, etc to not have a normal wear and tear effect on it.

Sure, I get the fact that it is disappointing that the chrome paint they applied isn't very durable, so it flakes easily.

Very true & if I had to (don't as yet, still shiny and yes I'm caseless) I would use some alloy polish to bring it back to a high gloss shine :-)

Problem solved.

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-02-2014 06:08 PM
    I got a Spigen case and it is not scratching my phone.
    12-02-2014 06:39 PM
    I don't think anyone is expecting the phone to be indestructible. But when an upgraded feature, designed to enhance both durability and aesthetics, reveals itself within weeks of regular (even careful) use to be both undurable and unaesthetic, then something's wrong somewhere, and it's not with user expectations.

I haven't bought my Note 4 yet, and I'm already disappointed.

The price with contract will probably fall to $199 USD again by xmas, just like it was over last weekend.
    12-03-2014 01:01 AM
    I don't think anyone is expecting the phone to be indestructible. But when an upgraded feature, designed to enhance both durability and aesthetics, reveals itself within weeks of regular (even careful) use to be both undurable and unaesthetic, then something's wrong somewhere, and it's not with user expectations.

I haven't bought my Note 4 yet, and I'm already disappointed.

The price with contract will probably fall to $199 USD again by xmas, just like it was over last weekend.
    If you really think that a couple of flakes of paint chipping off affects the durability of this phone, that's on you, not Samsung.

Unless you haven't read my other comments, you're missing the point. I agree that it is disappointing that the chrome paint (let's be clear, this isn't metal that is scratching, it's paint flaking off) isn't adhering very well. But that is such a minor flaw in the phone, especially when factoring in A) if you have it in a case you can't see it and B) it does NOT affect the durability/operability of the phone.

If you're going to refuse to buy this phone because of paint chips, that's your right. But you're missing out on one heck of a phone. And if you plan to case your phone up anyway, it is even sillier to base your decision on an aesthetic that can't be seen with daily use.
    bdgriff likes this.
    12-03-2014 09:43 AM
    That white phone really looks bad with the scratches.
    12-04-2014 06:20 PM
    That seems like a lot of scratches on the edge of the white phone. The tape suggestion might be a good one for those that are really worried about the issue. If you are using a case, nobody is going to see the tape anyway. I would just want to make sure I was not using an aggressive tape as it could easily take up the surface it was on when the time comes....maybe masking tape would work....enough adhesion to stay put...not so aggressive as to damage in and of itself. Masking tape is in a way tailor made for this sort of thing.
    12-04-2014 06:32 PM
    This is why I have never understood people complaining about the polycarbonate case of Samsungs. Aluminium scratches and dents very, very easily.
    12-04-2014 06:34 PM

I disagree. That is not normal wear and tear, the phone hasn't been out that long. Even my Note 2 doesn't look as worn as what he is explaining and it is 2 years old.
    12-04-2014 06:36 PM
    I never said paint flaking is normal wear and tear.

I said you can't expect an item used daily in all conditions to never show signs of normal wear and tear.
    12-04-2014 06:38 PM
    I never said paint flaking is normal wear and tear.

I said you can't expect an item used daily in all conditions to never show signs of normal wear and tear.
    Yes you did, you said their expectations were unrealistic. What they explained, should not be showing that much wear and tear now. We all use our phones daily and in all conditions.
    12-04-2014 06:40 PM
    Yes you did, you said their expectations were unrealistic. What they explained, should not be showing that much wear and tear now. We all use our phones daily and in all conditions.
    Argue with me all you want.

I have kids, I'm used to it.

Please go back and read my comments. You're blending a couple of posts together to jump to your conclusion.
    12-04-2014 06:49 PM
    Argue with me all you want.

I have kids, I'm used to it.

Please go back and read my comments. You're blending a couple of posts together to jump to your conclusion.
    Hahahaha, ironically trying to attack a person personally, is what is childish.
    12-04-2014 06:54 PM
    This is why I have never understood people complaining about the polycarbonate case of Samsungs. Aluminium scratches and dents very, very easily.
    As much as I enjoy and appreciate the build on my new Note 4, I never once had an issue with my all polycarbonate S3. I loved the feel in hand and it's in really good shape for a phone that's been dragged around with me for over 2 years.
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    12-04-2014 07:00 PM
    As much as I enjoy and appreciate the build on my new Note 4, I never once had an issue with my all polycarbonate S3. I loved the feel in hand and it's in really good shape for a phone that's been dragged around with me for over 2 years.
    Same.
    12-04-2014 10:04 PM
    I have a Spigen case and it is not scratching my phone!
    12-04-2014 10:13 PM
    Yup, the polycarbonate isn't just "plastic" as people like to say, but it is very durable. Durable enough to make bullet resistant glass.
    12-04-2014 10:35 PM
    Yup, the polycarbonate isn't just "plastic" as people like to say, but it is very durable. Durable enough to make bullet resistant glass.
    Yep. I always thought that too big a deal was made out of the metal sides in the Note 4.

It felt more like it was about iPhone-envy than anything that added true value to the device.

It's too bad that the experience is being marred, literally, by poor design assessment by Samsung.

Interestingly, this could make it difficult for carriers to offer "recertified" Note 4s, since even light usage will show.
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    12-05-2014 12:21 AM
    Yup, I knew that was going to be an issue with these phones.
    12-05-2014 01:00 AM
    I have a Spigen case and it is not scratching my phone!
    You mean "it is not scratching my phone yet!"

Just kidding, I hope they fixed the issue or that I got a bad version. I hope that it does not scratch your phone.
    12-05-2014 05:30 AM
94 1234