Is your case scratching the chamfered aluminum edge on your Note 4?

TheDonJ77

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I treat and have treated all of my phones like babies. Put a UAG Maverick on this case recently for about 2 weeks. Needed to take off case to pop out micro sd card and noticed scuffs in the metal on the bottom of the phone. Also noticed some beginning stages of peeling or flaking around the headphone jack. I know these may be minor to some but I consider it to be a major annoyance to me. I paid over $800.00 for this device and expected it to maintain it's pristine condition of day 1 throughout the life of the phone as long as I took proper care of it which I have. Is that asking too much? Are my expectations too high? Is Samsung's build quality not as good as other manufactures? Nothing I can really do about it, just venting, carry on....

Yogi217

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I treat and have treated all of my phones like babies. Put a UAG Maverick on this case recently for about 2 weeks. Needed to take off case to pop out micro sd card and noticed scuffs in the metal on the bottom of the phone. Also noticed some beginning stages of peeling or flaking around the headphone jack. I know these may be minor to some but I consider it to be a major annoyance to me. I paid over $800.00 for this device and expected it to maintain it's pristine condition of day 1 throughout the life of the phone as long as I took proper care of it which I have. Is that asking too much? Are my expectations too high? Is Samsung's build quality not as good as other manufactures? Nothing I can really do about it, just venting, carry on....
I hear you. It sucks. I'm wondering if taking sandpaper and just removing the shine and paint all together would give it a cool look?

Not something I'm going to pilot....

Yeah, it sucks...

nugj

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Honest to God I would leave it alone. There is just no way IMO that you are going to get it perfect and you can tell when metal has been polished. When high end watches make their way into the resale market, you can always tell when surface abrasions have been polished away and it always has an impact on the value...just about as much as if the seller just left the abrasions alone. So if it is the resale value of your phone that you are concerned about, I would still say your best bet is going to be to let it be. Plus we are already seeing reports of the paint bubbling. I think when it does come time to sell these things they will be sold on their value as a working phablet not on their aesthetics. I will grant you that the sale of used smartphones up to this point has been in part predicated on aesthetics. But I think the chances of somebody getting to the two year mark with no blems on his N4 is slim to none. IMO you should just take good care of it...do the best you can. But resist the temptation to try to repair minor blems. The guy offering up a perfect looking N4 two years from now is going to be a rare bird....again IMO.

Yogi217

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Honest to God I would leave it alone. There is just no way IMO that you are going to get it perfect and you can tell when metal has been polished. When high end watches make their way into the resale market, you can always tell when surface abrasions have been polished away and it always has an impact on the value...just about as much as if the seller just left the abrasions alone. So if it is the resale value of your phone that you are concerned about, I would still say your best bet is going to be to let it be. Plus we are already seeing reports of the paint bubbling. I think when it does come time to sell these things they will be sold on their value as a working phablet not on their aesthetics. I will grant you that the sale of used smartphones up to this point has been in part predicated on aesthetics. But I think the chances of somebody getting to the two year mark with no blems on his N4 is slim to none. IMO you should just take good care of it...do the best you can. But resist the temptation to try to repair minor blems. The guy offering up a perfect looking N4 two years from now is going to be a rare bird....again IMO.
Yeah, you can always get insurance and smash your phone, then pay a deductible and get a refurbished one to sell....

Or, just enjoy the phone as is, don't worry about it... Actually more incentive to use it without a case (if you have insurance) and just enjoy it....

Like you said, just sit back and enjoy the ride!

Lady Grinning Soul

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
I'm about to buy one of these. But now I'm wondering: If the the metal edges are especially prone to scratches, then why is the fact the Note 4 has metal edges considered a major improvement over the Note 3 (and other Sammys) and a major selling point? What, really, is the advantage of metal? What am I missing?

Yogi217

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm about to buy one of these. But now I'm wondering: If the the metal edges are especially prone to scratches, then why is the fact the Note 4 has metal edges considered a major improvement over the Note 3 (and other Sammys) and a major selling point? What, really, is the advantage of metal? What am I missing?
I think it actually protects against drops (when not using a case). Check out the Samsung drop test videos on YouTube (the ones made by Samsung). There is also an article on Forbes reviewing the note 4 and the author describes how he/she has dropped the note 4 a few times and it's held up better than both the Nexus 6 and iPhone 6+.

rdiddy_25

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I will receive my Samsung case tomorrow and I think I'll put tape around the metal edges to see if that helps to prevent against the scratches to the metal. I'll report back once I've had a week or two to test

omarkhalids

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I have had exactly the same issue. Extensive and even scratching on all sides of the phone. Never took the case off since installing, and checked the case, it seemed relatively dust free.
image1.jpgimage2.jpgimage3.jpgimage4.jpgimage5.jpgimage6.jpg

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
Yes, your expectations are very unrealistic.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
You cannot expect any device that you use daily, in all weather conditions, heat, humidity, cold, hot, fingerprints, oils, etc to not have a normal wear and tear effect on it.

Sure, I get the fact that it is disappointing that the chrome paint they applied isn't very durable, so it flakes easily.

But if that's the worst issue that you have with it, that's pretty good.

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
You cannot expect any device that you use daily, in all weather conditions, heat, humidity, cold, hot, fingerprints, oils, etc to not have a normal wear and tear effect on it.

Sure, I get the fact that it is disappointing that the chrome paint they applied isn't very durable, so it flakes easily.

But if that's the worst issue that you have with it, that's pretty good.

Very true & if I had to (don't as yet, still shiny and yes I'm caseless) I would use some alloy polish to bring it back to a high gloss shine :)

Problem solved.

Posted via the Android Central App

Lady Grinning Soul

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Yes, your expectations are very unrealistic.

I don't think anyone is expecting the phone to be indestructible. But when an upgraded feature, designed to enhance both durability and aesthetics, reveals itself within weeks of regular (even careful) use to be both undurable and unaesthetic, then something's wrong somewhere, and it's not with user expectations.

I haven't bought my Note 4 yet, and I'm already disappointed.

The price with contract will probably fall to $199 USD again by xmas, just like it was over last weekend.

LaTuFu

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I don't think anyone is expecting the phone to be indestructible. But when an upgraded feature, designed to enhance both durability and aesthetics, reveals itself within weeks of regular (even careful) use to be both undurable and unaesthetic, then something's wrong somewhere, and it's not with user expectations.

I haven't bought my Note 4 yet, and I'm already disappointed.

The price with contract will probably fall to $199 USD again by xmas, just like it was over last weekend.

If you really think that a couple of flakes of paint chipping off affects the durability of this phone, that's on you, not Samsung.

Unless you haven't read my other comments, you're missing the point. I agree that it is disappointing that the chrome paint (let's be clear, this isn't metal that is scratching, it's paint flaking off) isn't adhering very well. But that is such a minor flaw in the phone, especially when factoring in A) if you have it in a case you can't see it and B) it does NOT affect the durability/operability of the phone.

If you're going to refuse to buy this phone because of paint chips, that's your right. But you're missing out on one heck of a phone. And if you plan to case your phone up anyway, it is even sillier to base your decision on an aesthetic that can't be seen with daily use.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza