Hi everyone, I've owned iPhones since the beginning they were launched and recently was fascinated by Android since note 3.

What I miss the most coming from ios was the ability to do a full complete backup.

Is there anything available for note 4 that I can use ?

I do not want to root my note 4 so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

DK

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    flyboy06 likes this.
    10-25-2014 11:05 PM
    I switched from the iPhone to the Note 2 (then Note 3, now Note 4) two years ago, and this is what one real downside that still exists on the android side of things.

If you root your phone, there are a number of apps that will do a full backup, but it you don't want to root your phone, you are kind of out of luck.
    10-25-2014 11:38 PM
    There's no full backup (like a system image) without root.

However, two things that will back up a lot are:

Kies 3, you can download this on your computer from Samsung, and then backup up quite a bit of your data there.

Helium, an app in the play store. This is more difficult to use for someone not used to it but the one thing it can do that other methods don't do without root, is save your app data such as game progress and settings, etc. If you don't care about that type of thing however, better to keep it simple and use Kies.

You can also sync some things to your samsung account and sync some things to your google account.

As for pictures, videos, documents, etc, you can either just directly copy them to your computer or you can back them up to a cloud service. etc.

Btw, when Lollipop (the next operating system) gets to your phone, you will be able to backup a lot to your google account. There is google backup and restore that you will see in settings on your phone now, which will back up apps and some settings, but it is not comprehensive.
    phoneluva likes this.
    10-25-2014 11:57 PM
    Thanks jpr for taking the time to reply I appreciate it. Looks like kies will do for me. For now

10-26-2014 12:08 AM
    I use Excel<>Contacts to backup my contacts. That's what I used to transfer them all to this new phone. For the most part, it was painless.

Most apps that you input data into have some way to back it up or export it.

I regularly hook my phone up to my computer and drag/drop files over. The hard part is finding out where stuff is stored then remembering each time. It was easier when you could save everything files to the card.

I also use Super Backup Pro but that's for emergencies or panic mode, really. I totally forgot I had it when I was transferring everything over. I meant to use it to see if it put game data back in.

I disliked Kies and could never get it to work right with my S3. I can't decide if I want to try it with this one or not.
    phoneluva likes this.
    10-26-2014 12:21 AM
    PaulaO thanks. I'm downloading kies right now. I thought google backup would store my contacts into Gmail account? Really looking for a simple backup because of time constraints

10-26-2014 12:29 AM
    I use Excel<>Contacts to backup my contacts. That's what I used to transfer them all to this new phone. For the most part, it was painless.

Most apps that you input data into have some way to back it up or export it.

I regularly hook my phone up to my computer and drag/drop files over. The hard part is finding out where stuff is stored then remembering each time. It was easier when you could save everything files to the card.

I also use Super Backup Pro but that's for emergencies or panic mode, really. I totally forgot I had it when I was transferring everything over. I meant to use it to see if it put game data back in.

I disliked Kies and could never get it to work right with my S3. I can't decide if I want to try it with this one or not.
    Why backup contacts, google does that..... Back up everything to the cloud, backup my Nova setup, restore and good to go!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
    10-26-2014 12:30 AM
    I have an Exchange, Outlook, Hotmail and Gmail account. No backup needed there, as any / all of those accounts have online (cloud based) backup like contacts/ mail/ tasks/ notes/ memo's etc...

The installed-app list is backed up by Google Play store so when you add/ replace your device, signing in to Google on the new device initiates a download of all installed apps that were on the previous device. All Google (historical) data is backed up to your history and is always available. There are probably other apps that don't have online backup, but I don't use them.

I use Nova launcher, so I backup and restore using Google Drive in about 60 seconds...and the new device looks the same as the previous one.

My media is all stored to Google Drive, so I use a Google Drive Sync app to backup/ restore to the new device I don't even use a micro SD card for media; I have more than enough space on the device to store all my media.

My Note 4 was fully populated/ up and running within 30 minutes of opening the box and took maybe another hour or so to tweak after that.

I would not want an image backup/ restore. Any corruption would follow the backup into the restore.
    10-26-2014 03:12 AM
    I used a combination of three apps to migrate data and apps from my unrooted Galaxy Note 3 to Note 4.
    1. Helium by Clockworkmod - for app data
    2. App Backup & Restore by Infolife LLC - to back up app apks (Helium does not backup apks, just the data)
    3. G Cloud Backup by Genie9 LTD - to backup contact, call logs, texts, etc
    10-26-2014 03:13 AM
    I have an Exchange, Outlook, Hotmail and Gmail account. No backup needed there, as any / all of those accounts have online (cloud based) backup like contacts/ mail/ tasks/ notes/ memo's etc...

The installed-app list is backed up by Google Play store so when you add/ replace your device, signing in to Google on the new device initiates a download of all installed apps that were on the previous device. All Google (historical) data is backed up to your history and is always available. There are probably other apps that don't have online backup, but I don't use them.

I use Nova launcher, so I backup and restore using Google Drive in about 60 seconds...and the new device looks the same as the previous one.

My media is all stored to Google Drive, so I use a Google Drive Sync app to backup/ restore to the new device I don't even use a micro SD card for media; I have more than enough space on the device to store all my media.

My Note 4 was fully populated/ up and running within 30 minutes of opening the box and took maybe another hour or so to tweak after that.

I would not want an image backup/ restore. Any corruption would follow the backup into the restore.
    I have too many apps that I have installed and then uninstalled. Those remain in my Google Play history as well. I don't want them all reinstalled on my new device. That is why I always cancel the downloads that automatically start on a new device.
    10-26-2014 03:16 AM
    You can remove them from Google play...and they won't re-install. That's how it's designed to work. Just click the "x" in each app that you don't want re-installed, in your app list in Google Play, prior to install.
    prakash99 likes this.
    10-26-2014 03:30 AM
    You can remove them from Google play...and they won't re-install. That's how it's designed to work. Just click the "x" in each app that you don't want re-installed, in your app list in Google Play, prior to install.
    Can I delete them from my app history forever?
    10-26-2014 03:49 AM
    Yup! Once you click that little "x", they're gone for good!
    prakash99 likes this.
    10-26-2014 09:01 AM
    Yup! Once you click that little "x", they're gone for good!
    Awesome! I learned something new today. Thanks.
    10-26-2014 12:54 PM
    Hi just a quick question I'm doing some research , do you back your phone up ?. If your data wasn't backed up and your lost your android device how much would you pay to get all you memories i.e. photos contacts back all your data as a complete backup. thanks for your time .
    04-21-2015 10:21 AM
    Hi just a quick question I'm doing some research , do you back your phone up ?. If your data wasn't backed up and your lost your android device how much would you pay to get all you memories i.e. photos contacts back all your data as a complete backup. thanks for your time .
    Anything I consider important I copy over to my PC as a backup and I use Google for my contacts. If I lost my phone I wouldn't pay anything to recover contents.
    04-21-2015 10:27 AM
    How can we back up our text messages? Are those being stored by our provider or on the phone? What to do in order not to lose the conversation history when restoring phone to default or replacing it with a new phone?
    04-21-2015 03:56 PM
    I use an app called SMS backup to save text messages. They are saved in my Gmail under a separate folder titled "Sms'
    04-23-2015 03:10 AM