01-31-2017 01:23 PM
145 1234 ...
tools
    I much prefer a simple plain dialer than a dialer that spies on me. If anybody is remotely care about their privacy, think twice before taking anything google bundles.
    Doesn't at&t (assuming you're on at&t) and carrier iq spie on us with our note 4?
    10-26-2014 01:49 PM
    Doesn't at&t (assuming you're on at&t) and carrier iq spie on us with our note 4?
    Sure, I was talking about the so called intelligent dialer which perform background search when you start typing.

@T-Mobile GN3
    10-26-2014 02:36 PM
    Well the various functionalities would be far too many to list here but I can at least try to name off some of the apps just right off the top of my head for you.
    I used Chomp SMS because I don't like hangouts, cloud magic for email because I don't like Gmail, solid explorer because I don't like the native file system explorer, rocket player for music because I don't like Google play music, camera fx360 because the camera app is slow and buggy, quick pic because it's way better than the stock photos app, music volume eq because the sound sucks, aldiko for better ebook reading, noaa weather because Google weather reporting is very inaccurate in my area, widgetsoid so I can have toggles in my notification shade, and I'm sure a couple others that I'm not thinking of right now.
    Anyway, you get what you pay for. Nexus phones are considered budget phones for a reason IMHO. The best thing about them is how easily they can be rooted. My nexus 5 made me realize how much I missed my galaxy s4 and that I'm just a Samsung guy. I keep giving other phones and other phone makers a fair try, but they all just make me miss my Samsung devices. I've learned my lesson, the note 4 is my triumphant return to Samsung and I won't be leaving again anytime soon, especially for a nexus device.

Posted via Android Central App
    It sounds like you replaced things because of your personal preferences. Every one of those items has an equivalent that comes preinstalled on the phone so you're replacing to change what you don't like, not because of missing functionality.

Changing those things is fine, it's your phone and your opinion, but it doesn't sound to me like it has anything to do with missing functionality like you originally stated and was purely about what you like or don't like. Huge difference between the two.

Also, the Nexus 6 is not the same budget style phone as the 4 and 5. It also comes with Lollipop that adds a ton of new features out of the box. Apples and oranges and all that.

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-26-2014 03:03 PM
    Wanted to see people's thoughts.

Had my Note 4. For 9 days now. Love it but it's not wowing me like I thought. I did come from a Note 3 however.

Touchwiz is much better than note 3. But I'm with AT&T, and their bloatware, with Touchwiz is ridiculous

I'm reading alot of good things with the Nexus 6, including huge QHD screen, pure Android experience and Lollipop

Downsides to Nexus 6 is no SD slot and cannot exchange the battery.

I'm torn. Not sure if I should try the nexus 6 or not. I hate losing the SD card because I have a ton of music and pics on my 128 gb microSD card

What are your thoughts. Anyone else curious about the nexus 6 or even considering pre-ordering it?

Sent from my new Note 4 via Tapatalk
    I don't know. Sounds like a lateral to even a downward move to me.
    10-26-2014 03:39 PM
    Sure, I was talking about the so called intelligent dialer which perform background search when you start typing.

@T-Mobile GN3
    I wish at&t let customers opt out of carrier iq and had unlocked bootloader like T-Mobile....
    Snake Griffin likes this.
    10-26-2014 03:46 PM
    I wish at&t let customers opt out of carrier iq and had unlocked bootloader like T-Mobile....
    mmm, is ATT really the only option for you? i mean, TMO offers to buy out your contract!
    10-26-2014 03:53 PM
    I think I'm going to try the Note 4 on AT&T. I had the original Note and am curious of the massive changes. I will do this on contract. With the Nexus 6, I will purchase from Google Play to insure no bloatware which is quite possible on the carrier versions. If I don't like it, I can simply send it back.

10-26-2014 04:04 PM
    mmm, is ATT really the only option for you? i mean, TMO offers to buy out your contract!
    Yeah, I see that. I'm on a grandfathered unlimited data for $70 a month (includes $40 device, so really only $30 for unlimited everything). And at&t coverage is better in my area. Who knows, I may switch later...
    10-26-2014 04:18 PM
    Not a fan of phablets but nexus is always better than samsung.
    Fresh updates and pure android with no samsung junk.
    Oh, and a device that works without lagging.
    Let me just again repeating the statement I made again and again and again.

Pure android =/= pure Google. Nexus series is pure Google with all closed sourced proprietary Google apps and should not be confused with pure android.
    10-26-2014 04:49 PM
    Well I installed Nova Launcher prime, and paid for premium version. And stopped alot of AT&T bloatware

It seems my battery is lasting longer, and note 4 is moving faster now.

It can all be in my mind but I doubt it.

Maybe this will help me appreciate the note 4 better

10-26-2014 06:20 PM
    Wanted to see people's thoughts.

Had my Note 4. For 9 days now. Love it but it's not wowing me like I thought. I did come from a Note 3 however.

Touchwiz is much better than note 3. But I'm with AT&T, and their bloatware, with Touchwiz is ridiculous

I'm reading alot of good things with the Nexus 6, including huge QHD screen, pure Android experience and Lollipop

Downsides to Nexus 6 is no SD slot and cannot exchange the battery.

I'm torn. Not sure if I should try the nexus 6 or not. I hate losing the SD card because I have a ton of music and pics on my 128 gb microSD card

What are your thoughts. Anyone else curious about the nexus 6 or even considering pre-ordering it?

I would stay with Note 4. SD card and removable batteries are very important to me.
    anon(27512) and mchi5 like this.
    10-26-2014 06:21 PM
    It sounds like you replaced things because of your personal preferences. Every one of those items has an equivalent that comes preinstalled on the phone so you're replacing to change what you don't like, not because of missing functionality.

Changing those things is fine, it's your phone and your opinion, but it doesn't sound to me like it has anything to do with missing functionality like you originally stated and was purely about what you like or don't like. Huge difference between the two.

Also, the Nexus 6 is not the same budget style phone as the 4 and 5. It also comes with Lollipop that adds a ton of new features out of the box. Apples and oranges and all that.

I disagree. My personal dislike for those apps that come preinstalled on Nexus device is a direct result of their lack of functionality, not just personal preferences. They all had some option or setting missing that seem like common sense and could easily be found in third-party apps from the play store and also in touch wiz.

10-26-2014 06:37 PM
    Does AT&T add it to the note 4 ? I know e s2 skyrocket s3 and and s4 didn't have it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    10-26-2014 07:21 PM
    Let me just again repeating the statement I made again and again and again.

Pure android =/= pure Google. Nexus series is pure Google with all closed sourced proprietary Google apps and should not be confused with pure android.
    Please excuse this noob question, but when you say the Google Apps that come on the nexus are closed system, I'm confused. Do you mean you're locked into those programs?

I didn't think so but from your explanation it sounds like that's what you're saying.

10-26-2014 07:22 PM

The note 4 will have lollipop as well

10-26-2014 07:22 PM
    Please excuse this noob question, but when you say the Google Apps that come on the nexus are closed system, I'm confused. Do you mean you're locked into those programs?

I didn't think so but from your explanation it sounds like that's what you're saying.

I said "closed sourced", as the source code of most, if not all google apps are closed.

Pure android, as in AOSP, everything is open sourced.

In the beginning, when Open Handset Alliance was started, it was supposed to be open source response to iOS, and now google has been throwing in more and more closed sourced apps, and demand vendors have them pre-installed to be allowed to use play store.

The difference are important and should be clearly understood. Google is directing pure open android to a direction where other vendors will be 100% rely on google, they have been very successful in mixing the Nexus device with "pure android", even though they are different things.

Want a real "pure android"? try oneplus one.
    mchi5 likes this.
    10-26-2014 07:34 PM
    You'll take a big hit when taking pictures.

10-26-2014 07:45 PM
    I have a feeling the Note's camera will stay superior to Nexus, but otherwise the Nexus is a greater than or equal device in every category and for less money. The button on the front (and possibly the micro-SD card) is enough for me to say no to the Note (the rumors that it'd finally be gone were fantastic while they lasted), but even if they both used standard buttons, TouchWiz is a major problem. Using another launcher doesn't help that at all, as it still rules the framework, as well as remaining stuck within menus, notifications, etc. Samsung seriously put out a great cameraphone this time, but otherwise it's just high specs with no class. It and the turbo both have a serious issue - permanent ICS (in the Note's case Froyo) buttons stuck on the front - forever.
    10-26-2014 07:47 PM
    I don't think you're crazy. The nexus 6 looks like a beast of a phone which matches the notes specs and is pure stock android. Feel in hand will determine if I buy. Liking it so far from what I've seen/hearing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Snake Griffin and mchi5 like this.
    10-26-2014 07:53 PM
    I thought about the nexus 6 and realized it's just a big nexus. The Note 4 adds some useful tricks like multiwindow and the s-pen (which I shocked myself with how much I use it on the 4 because I never used it on my 3). When I moved from my note 3 to my nexus 5 I knew I had made a mistake. I missed the sd card slot, the removable battery and multiwindow. Faster android updates isn't a big deal to me because most of the time the updates are minor anyway, the exception being android lollipop.

I love my Note 4 and I'm glad I chose it over the 6.
    Snake Griffin likes this.
    10-26-2014 07:58 PM
    Faster android updates isn't a big deal to me because most of the time the updates are minor anyway, the exception being android lollipop.
    I suspect the Note 4 will see Lollipop fairly quickly.
    10-26-2014 08:02 PM
    I think what's happening here is "grass is always greener on the other side" syndrome! If you'd bought the Nexus 6 first you'd be lamenting not getting the Note 4. When you have a device for a few days, it will lose it's shine. Unfortunately it's just human nature to want something shiny and new, especially when it can mean being stuck with the device for a long contract, although I know this doesn't necessarily apply to the op.

mchi5 and areyes163 like this.
    10-26-2014 08:02 PM
    I think what's happening here is "grass is always greener on the other side" syndrome! If you'd bought the Nexus 6 first you'd be lamenting not getting the Note 4. When you have a device for a few days, it will lose it's shine. Unfortunately it's just human nature to want something shiny and new, especially when it can mean being stuck with the device for a long contract, although I know this doesn't necessarily apply to the op.

You may be right there. I personally hyped up the pre-order for the Note 4 So much, probably what happened. The actual experience and the anticipation didn't match.

Don't get me wrong I still think the note 4 is the best phone I've ever used and a million times better than any iPhone, but just curious about the nexus 6

Maybe if zerolemon will hurry and release their extended battery and someone finds a root solution for the Note 4 AT&T, I'd be very content

10-26-2014 08:37 PM
    Use whatever fits you better.
    10-26-2014 08:43 PM
    Does AT&T add it to the note 4 ? I know e s2 skyrocket s3 and and s4 didn't have it

I'm pretty sure it's on most if not all at&t phones. Definitely on the note 3 (but I was able to root and disable it), so I'm sure it's on the note 4 (no root method, so we are stuck with it). You can use one of the carrier iq detectors in the app store to check.
    10-26-2014 08:52 PM
145 1234 ...